PDA

View Full Version : No. 16 - Figured Maple "Simple Infinity"

James Combs
08-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Probably shouldn't be naming simple bowls but for some reason the thought of infinity struck me when I was looking at this bowl from this perspective (also see the top view);

The figuring kind of smooths out into a set of disappearing rings and it is just a "simple" bowl.:eek:

Stats:
Wood = highly figured maple
Diameter = 7.5"
Height = 1.5"
Finish = first coat of Watco Natural Oil (another coat and wax later)

CC welcome.

Matt Ranum
08-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Thats some fabulous figure! The name suits it, like watching waves.

Roger Chandler
08-18-2010, 12:44 AM
Nice JD! Pretty wood, and nice form!

Mark Hubl
08-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Nice shape and wood Jim. Looks good.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-18-2010, 2:49 AM
Probably shouldn't be naming simple bowls but for some reason the thought of infinity struck me when I was looking at this bowl from this perspective (also see the top view);

The figuring kind of smooths out into a set of disappearing rings and it is just a "simple" bowl.:eek:

Stats:
Wood = highly figured maple
Diameter = 7.5"
Height = 1.5"
Finish = first coat of Watco Natural Oil (another coat and wax later)

CC welcome.

A beauty James, the second picture made me say Aurora Borealis as yes infinity is something like that also, what beauty wood can bring us, it is just amazing, well done :D

William Hutchinson
08-18-2010, 5:26 AM
Nice work. I don't know, but when people start naming their turnings it's not long before we see them at art galleries openings eating brie, sipping champagne and holding a discussion on negative space and infinity.:D

John Keeton
08-18-2010, 5:45 AM
Beautiful piece of maple, JD! I like the form of the bowl, too. Looks like a little rim detail on the outside?

Well done!

Roger Chandler
08-18-2010, 7:18 AM
Nice work. I don't know, but when people start naming their turnings it's not long before we see them at art galleries openings eating brie, sipping champagne and holding a discussion on negative space and infinity.:D

William,

why don't you know........its the "inner R-teeeest" that has been held captive for so long, that finally finds its freedom, and the first thing it does is seek out its natural habitat, which is an Art gallery! :D:D

There it finds like minded souls who speak the same language and is able to finally breath the atmosphere of negative space, and longs to soar off into the esoteric heights of infinity and beyond! :D:eek::p:D

Just ask Keeton.....he knows! ;):D

David E Keller
08-18-2010, 8:48 AM
Nicely done, JD. I love simple curves and beautiful wood.

steven carter
08-18-2010, 9:17 AM
JD,

It looks like you started out with a great piece of maple, and then perfected it with a great form. I really like this one.

Steve

Pete Jordan
08-18-2010, 9:38 AM
Way to go, James!

You hit a home run on this one!

bob svoboda
08-18-2010, 9:46 AM
Nice work. I don't know, but when people start naming their turnings it's not long before we see them at art galleries openings eating brie, sipping champagne and holding a discussion on negative space and infinity.:D Don't forget the beret and ascot:D Very nice bowl JD! I would like to see a pic of it sitting flat on its foot. Looks very thin and it's sure a nice piece of wood.

Sean Hughto
08-18-2010, 10:29 AM
First, that is a terrific bowl! Great grain and shape.

Second, I wanted to say that you're not alone in having names come to you with respect to simple bowls. I turned a cherry crotch over the weekend, that I couldn't stop thinking of as "mars" as the sap wood looked like a polar cap and the rest like the iron oxide of the surface.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4902547439_98dfa273ae_b.jpg

Please, no one bother to comment on my bowl in this thread. I only offer the link to let those who might be curious look to see if they see "mars" too. I do not want want to step on the rightful props that James deserves for his wonderful maple bowl. I hope that's okay, James.

gary Zimmel
08-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Nice work on this beauty James. Great figure in that maple.

James Combs
08-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks folks I appreciate everyone's comments.

LOL:)

A beauty James, the second picture made me say Aurora Borealis as yes infinity is something like that also, what beauty wood can bring us, it is just amazing, well done :D

Thanks Leo, yes I can see the Aurora too. I especially appreciate your comments.

Beautiful piece of maple, JD! I like the form of the bowl, too. Looks like a little rim detail on the outside?

Well done!

Yes it does have a small detail on the outside edge. It would have been about twice its current size but I had a small catch that I had to get rid of which cut it back a bit.

Thats some fabulous figure! The name suits it, like watching waves.

I had also thought of waves rolling to infinity. Thanks

JD,

It looks like you started out with a great piece of maple, and then perfected it with a great form. I really like this one.

Steve

Of course it didn't look great in its rough sawed form. I walked into the shop a couple days ago and saw this knotty looking piece of 6/4 maple that I had trimmed off of an long plank and it just kind of jumped onto the lathe:eek: in front of me and said "I need to be let out":D

First, that is a terrific bowl! Great grain and shape.

Second, I wanted to say that you're not alone in having names come to you with respect to simple bowls. I turned a cherry crotch over the weekend, that I couldn't stop thinking of as "mars" as the heart wood looked like a polar cap and the rest like the iron oxide of the surface.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4902547439_98dfa273ae_b.jpg

Please, no one bother to comment on my bowl in this thread. I only offer the link to let those who might be curious look to see if they see "mars" too. I do not want want to step on the rightful props that James deserves for his wonderful maple bowl. I hope that's okay, James.

No problem Sean, I think you are right it definitely looks Mars-ish.

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Beautiful bowl James out of some beautiful maple. Like the simple form and finish.

Thomas Bennett
08-18-2010, 1:58 PM
JD , the simple , clean lines, delicate rim and beautiful blank all work relly well. Definately worhty of the name!

Steve Schlumpf
08-18-2010, 4:56 PM
Very nice form - exceptionally pretty wood! Thanks for sharing!

Jon Lanier
08-18-2010, 5:32 PM
That is so nice and smooth looking. It seems like you could eat off of it.

Van Huskey
08-18-2010, 5:47 PM
Very nice job with gorgeous wood!

James Combs
08-18-2010, 8:58 PM
That is so nice and smooth looking. It seems like you could eat off of it.

Speaking of smooth finish, something I meant to mention in the original post. The outside was smoothed almost entirely with a skew at 2600rpm. I did a similar cut on the inside using a very sharp round 30 degree bevel scraper. Both of these were of course after I got the basic shape down with my usual carbide tipped scraper and a bowl gouge. This is the first time I turned anything at higher speeds. I have to change the belt to go from the 300-1000 range up to the 900-3000 range and I am usually too lazy to switch it back and forth.:D At any rate I just touched up the outside a little with some 220 grit and was basically done with the outside. Inside took a little longer.