PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening success

Phillip Ngan
08-17-2010, 11:05 PM
From the pictures you can see that I have had success in sharpening a plane blade.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_hh0uhac1VlQ/TGtNybJLC6I/AAAAAAAAAds/N-s-07uv7Ag/s640/IMG_3579.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_hh0uhac1VlQ/TGtNyrbNRrI/AAAAAAAAAdw/YGUL_Ao6FJM/s640/IMG_3580.JPG

It was not without challenges. Over a period of a year, I've tried three other times to sharpen this blade, but could not get it to create thin full width shavings. I tried the scary sharp method, then had it sharpened by a Lie-Nielsen person at a tool event, then tried the David Charlesworth method. None of these produced a decent edge. I was pretty comfortable with the technique because I had a common Bailey No5 which could give me the desired shavings (a bit more about this later)

The big difference this time was that I used a loupe to inspect the edge before I started. This was suggested by Jim Koepke (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1488165#post1488165). Using a light source coming in parallel to the blade plane I could see a couple of bright shining spots on the edge of the blade. These were very small nicks that I could not easily see with my naked eye. My first thought was that these nicks were too small to affect the performance of the plane to the extent that I was seeing. Anyway, I hollow ground away these nicks (I hadn't reground the bevel in any of my previous attempts, thinking that I didn't want to waste my LN blade), and repeated the David Charlesworth procedure for sharpening. The result is what appears in the pictures.

About the Bailey No5. It's not highly fettled. It has a hollow running longitudinally the length of the sole, I didn't much polish the back of the blade. When it planes, it makes a "cheaper" sound (if there is such a thing). But, here's the thing, it performs superbly, always giving thin full width shavings. Which gives me cause to think what it is about a plane that makes it works so well (and what things don't really matter).

Terry Beadle
08-18-2010, 2:16 PM
Now those are some fine shavings !

Great job!

Prashun Patel
08-18-2010, 2:20 PM
Phillip. I'm where you were a year ago. I still can't get full width shavings from some planes. I will try the loupe-de-loupe.

Thanks for the tip-de-tip.

Sean Hughto
08-18-2010, 2:23 PM
"But, here's the thing, it performs superbly, always giving thin full width shavings. Which gives me cause to think what it is about a plane that makes it works so well (and what things don't really matter)."

Ding Ding Ding Ding ... we have a winner!!!

Dan Andrews
08-19-2010, 4:01 AM
Mine was pretty tired when I got it. Bought a used no name iron, Whet weel (2000 grit I believe) sharpened, followed by a hand finish on a very fine stone, and the old bugger works fantasticly.

I have never used a modern high end plane. I am currious about how much better it could be than the Stanley No.5. :)

Don Dorn
08-19-2010, 6:39 AM
Congratulations on those great shavings. You've got it!

To Dan - you're right in that the #5 is a great plane, especially when well tuned. However, I suggest giving a LV bevel up with a razor sharp blade a test drive, and I suspect you'll have a new standard.

David Weaver
08-19-2010, 7:52 AM
Mine was pretty tired when I got it. Bought a used no name iron, Whet weel (2000 grit I believe) sharpened, followed by a hand finish on a very fine stone, and the old bugger works fantasticly.

I have never used a modern high end plane. I am currious about how much better it could be than the Stanley No.5. :)

In softwoods, you won't notice much. Adjustments on the modern planes are nicer, they're flatter.

In hardwoods, to me at least, on a "same type of plane" comparison, an LN is much nicer to use. By no means is it something anyone *needs* to have.

No secret to a plane that works well. Everything locks down tight (reasonably, no reason to have the stuff between the frog and the lever cap screw vise tight), the iron is supported near the mouth on both sides, the casting is still solid and the tote and knob are tight. Sharp iron, of course.

That's all. Probably countless planes available for $5 that can meet that. Everything above that is just making the planes nicer to use or purpose-specific (which has its merits if you're willing to part with your money for such things, and may not if you aren't).

Prashun Patel
10-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Philip-
Just wanted to follow up. I got a loupe and it turned out to be the trick for me.

Magnifying the blade helped kept me honest and honing longer and steadier than ever before.

Great tip. At $6, it was a cheap tip, too!

Jerome Hanby
10-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Anything special about the loupe? I saw a set of 5 on the HF site for about $4...

David Weaver
10-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Nothing special at all, as long as you can see through it. More magnification is nice. HF has a cheap plastic thing that they call a "foldaway magnifying glass", which is really about the size of a loupe that works well (a little nicer than a loupe) and folds into itself to keep from getting dirty when you're not going to use it. It's $2.

Jim Koepke
10-05-2010, 1:12 PM
I am glad to see I'm not the only one who is a little loupey.

As long as it doesn't distort the field too bad, any lens should be fine.

I have a few plastic magnifiers, but they are easy to scratch. Even the one that came from a Cracker Jack box worked fine, but was so small it go misplaced.

One that I use the most is from an old projector lens my brother salvaged. It is about 2 inches square.

There are also some very useful loop designs. Another one of mine that is packed away somewhere is what is known as a lined tester. Those are the little fold up jobbies that look kind of like a cube when unfolded. Below the lens is an opening with lines around the edge in increments of eighths or tenths of an inch or metric markings so one can count threads then multiply to find the thread count of fabric.

Another is the inspector's loupe. It usually is a cylinder and a glass piece across the bottom with different measurement markings. I find this one useful to test squares. It can determine it is out of square a thousandths of an inch over the length. It also is useful for other small dimension measurements.

jtk

Phillip Ngan
10-05-2010, 4:53 PM
The loupe I have is one that is used in prepress shops to inspect the dot pattern on printing plates. It's one that has two hinged parts, one for the optics and the other for the stand. A quick search showed that these loupes can be purchased for $5. E.g. http://pgiinc.com/folmagloupli.html