PDA

View Full Version : Grinder tool bounce

Harvey Schneider
08-17-2010, 9:52 PM
I was having a problem with my low speed 8" grinder. I use it with the Wolverine jig to sharpen my bowl gouges and I was noticing that the gouge would bounce on the surface of the wheel. I recently replaced the wheels with 100 grit, white, Norton, wheels and added a Oneway balancing system. The improvement in the sharpness of my tools was dramatic and the quality of the cut I was able to achieve showed it.
Now I am beginning to notice a little bounce again when I bring the tool to the surface of the wheel.
I dress the wheel periodically so I believe that the surface is smooth and continuous.
Does anybody know what is causing the tool to bounce and how to fix it?

Tony Wheeler
08-17-2010, 10:09 PM
sounds like you have knocked the wheels out of round while you were dressing it go back and dress it again I use the platform to hold the dresser on, then I check by holding a bolt hanging down if if bounces try again till I get right a light touch with the dresser works best for me Im assuming that you are using a T handle diamond type dresser

Thomas Canfield
08-17-2010, 11:06 PM
I had trouble dressing wheels until getting the Wolverine diamond dresser. I was amazed and so were 3 others that used it to dress up their wheels. Tools are much sharper now.

Michael James
08-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Harvey,
I went the same route and ended up buying Don Geiger's truing system - that cleaned it all up for me. If you see how it's set up it makes sense that it will do a far better job than me holding a T on the rest. Im sure there are other systems, this is just the one I went with, no regets.
Not associated with Mr Geiger other than a customer.
good luck, your sharpest edge is your safest edge.
Michael

Brendan Stemp
08-18-2010, 9:36 AM
You need to true your wheel and then balance it. I would take the balancing system off, then true it with a diamond dresser (get it round) then balance it.

Steve Kubien
08-18-2010, 2:19 PM
Try something easier and cheaper... Grind the wings of your gouge first and roll the tool up until you just touch the tip. Then, repeat on the other side. Made a huge difference for me. Read about this in Ellsworth book.

Harvey Schneider
08-19-2010, 4:10 PM
I want to thank everybody for the good advice.
I found that holding the T-bar wheel dresser firmly against the platform to dampen vibrations was all that it took. I did have to make three passes before I got the dresser to run absolutely smoothly on the wheel. My gouge edges are scary sharp again.
Harvey in Southbury, CT

Bernie Weishapl
08-19-2010, 6:17 PM
True up the wheels and you should be good to go.