PDA

View Full Version : collection plate prototype

Roger Chandler
08-17-2010, 9:38 PM
A while back I turned a prototype collection plate that I want to do for our church. This one is smaller than what I intend to do with some figured walnut that I purchased......

The walnut is 14-1/2 inches wide, kiln dried, and I have enough to make 4 plates.

Just thought I would get your sense of design and any advice you all might be willing to offer....

Thanks for you input :)

John Keeton
08-17-2010, 9:42 PM
Roger, I like the rim treatment - perhaps with just a little bit of ogee roll between the outer portion and the bead. Will you stack the four plates when not in use? Most churches do, and I wouldn't have a foot in that case. You might want to consider the curvature, as well, to make sure they will "nest." If the slope of the side wall is too steep, one will not sit in the other.

David E Keller
08-17-2010, 9:49 PM
I like John's suggestions. My thoughts... I'd like to see a wider rim as well. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished form.

Roger Chandler
08-17-2010, 9:50 PM
Roger, I like the rim treatment - perhaps with just a little bit of ogee roll between the outer portion and the bead. Will you stack the four plates when not in use? Most churches do, and I wouldn't have a foot in that case. You might want to consider the curvature, as well, to make sure they will "nest." If the slope of the side wall is too steep, one will not sit in the other.

John,

I did think of the nesting issue, and was thinking with the wider wood [the walnut] that I would have room to give a wider rim with some ogee form, and a flatter bottom as well.

Most likely I would make a template pattern and turn to that pattern, both inside and out to make sure they nested correctly, even though our communion table is big and has plenty of room for 4 plates to sit arranged without stacking. It would be nice as there are times when we place flower arrangements and other items there for specific services.

Ted Calver
08-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Roger,
I'm going through the same process, but was asked to work in oak. I like your rim treatment and the overall design. It looks like they will stack well enough. I was concerned with plate weight and ensuring that there was sufficient gripping surface for youngsters or older/arthritic hands to grasp, so the beaded rim should help with that. My committee asked for a recess on the inside of the plate for a padded cloth inset "so the deacons wouldn't be embarassed when they dropped change in the plate". I got a chuckle out of that.

Roger Chandler
08-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Roger,
I'm going through the same process, but was asked to work in oak. I like your rim treatment and the overall design. It looks like they will stack well enough. I was concerned with plate weight and ensuring that there was sufficient gripping surface for youngsters or older/arthritic hands to grasp, so the beaded rim should help with that. My committee asked for a recess on the inside of the plate for a padded cloth inset "so the deacons wouldn't be embarassed when they dropped change in the plate". I got a chuckle out of that.

Ted,

That recess to put a soft bottom inside is a good idea! There are some like the widow who gave all she had, that would not want to be conspicuous either, but those deacons should set an example for the others to follow as much as possible! :D

Good leaders lead by example!

James Combs
08-17-2010, 10:37 PM
I like John's suggestions. My thoughts... I'd like to see a wider rim as well. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished form.

I would definitely widen the rim. I would also look at making it a double bead. We have metal ones at our church and their rim is very wide with multiple beads. They improve gripibility. (that's probably not a word but you get the idea.)

Mike Peace
08-17-2010, 11:07 PM
There is a good article on turning collection plates in the Fall 2002 "American Woodturner" in the downloadable articles in the members section on the AAW site. I would consider adding a bead underneath the rim back from the edge to make gripping easier.

Michael James
08-17-2010, 11:57 PM
nice work! Regardless if the pastor/minister/priest is a woodworker or not, he's going to want it deeeeeeeeeeeep!:p
mj