PDA

View Full Version : OT: What do computer operators make per hour?

Bob Weisner
12-10-2004, 7:49 PM
Hi:

I am working on a project for my town to try and get a Town website built. If they have the website built, they asked me if I would be interested in doing the work. I said that I would be interested. Here is what the work would involve. Gathering of all the information to put on the Town website on a daily and weekly basis. Typing up that information and then emailing all of the information to the County where the County would then put that information on the Town website. The County would host the website and post all of the information, they(the County), just needs someone to gather & email them the information. I figured it would take anywhere from 25 to 40 hours per week to do the work. What would be a good salary to ask for?

Thanks,

Bob

Keith Outten
12-10-2004, 9:10 PM
Bob,

It sounds like a clerical job, gathering data and transferring it to another group instead of a file cabinet. Assuming that this is a clerical position the salary for a clerk would be based on local rates...there is a big difference between the East and West Coasts in labor rates so it is unlikely anyone here would know. If the position is technical and involves processing and analysis of technical data then the labor rates would be somewhat different.

Dennis Peacock
12-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Bob,

I'm in the IT industry and have been for over 20 years now. What Keith stated is correct. Here's a good example to give you a better idea of what he is saying:

I work in a southern state.
I'm looking to hire a techie person for systems administration.
The salary range I can offer is $28K to $32K per year.
In the mean time, I see an add in the paper for that exact same position in New York City with a starting salary of $110K per year.

The position you are looking to fill is more clerical than technical. Pay will need to be at least the going rate for minimum wage. A lot depends on your location and what the town/city budget for that position is.

Make sense?

Aaron Koehl
12-13-2004, 10:04 AM
It sounds like a typical website production assistant or web writer, both are content managers to some degree. You can use this information as a start, to "ballpark" your salary. Neither one of these requires too much in the way of web design or implementation. Salary.com defines each of these as:

Web Writer:
Researches and writes online content for a company's web site. Stays abreast of current industry standards and techniques to ensure effective content that achieves the organization's goals. May require a bachelor's degree in a related area with 0-3 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Works under immediate supervision. Primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment. Typically reports to a manager.

Production Assistant - Web (Internet and New Media):
Monitors and maintains the daily production of a web site. Implements HTML modifications on current pages; and assists with the flow of information for the website production group. May be expected to build new pages in HTML. May require a bachelor's degree and 0-2 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Works under immediate supervision. Primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment. Typically reports to a producer.

I've compiled a couple of ballpark salaries in the Buffalo, NY area. The links are included below so you can tailor them to your specific region, if Buffalo is too far from you.

Web Writer: $40,784 to $47,781
Production Assistant: $38K to $48K
Below are the links I used.

Web Writer:
http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_compresult.asp?zipcode=&metrocode=28&statecode=NY&state=New+York&metro=Buffalo&city=&geo=Buffalo%2C+NY&jobtitle=Writer+I+-+Web&search=&narrowdesc=Internet+and+New+Media&narrowcode=IT02&r=salswz_swzttsbtn_psr&p=&s=salary&geocode=&jobcode=IT10000125 (http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_compresult.asp?zipcode=&metrocode=28&statecode=NY&state=New+York&metro=Buffalo&city=&geo=Buffalo%2C+NY&jobtitle=Writer+I+-+Web&search=&narrowdesc=Internet+and+New+Media&narrowcode=IT02&r=salswz_swzttsbtn_psr&p=&s=salary&geocode=&jobcode=IT10000125)

Production Asst: http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_compresult.asp?zipcode=&metrocode=28&statecode=NY&state=New+York&metro=Buffalo&city=&geo=Buffalo%2C+NY&jobtitle=Production+Assistant+-+Web&search=&narrowdesc=Internet+and+New+Media&narrowcode=IT02&r=salswz_swzttsbtn_psr&p=&s=salary&geocode=&jobcode=IT10000086 (http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_compresult.asp?zipcode=&metrocode=28&statecode=NY&state=New+York&metro=Buffalo&city=&geo=Buffalo%2C+NY&jobtitle=Production+Assistant+-+Web&search=&narrowdesc=Internet+and+New+Media&narrowcode=IT02&r=salswz_swzttsbtn_psr&p=&s=salary&geocode=&jobcode=IT10000086)

Bob Weisner
12-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Aaron:

What do you think is the best and easiest to use software?

1. Namo webeditor6 suite

2. The website in a box Mb

3. Microsoft Frontpage 2003

Thanks

Bob

Aaron Koehl
12-14-2004, 2:35 PM
Easiest to use? I recommend Macromedia Dreamweaver, however there's more of a learning curve required.

Of the list you provided, I definitely recommend FrontPage 2003. Microsoft completely overhauled the HTML generation code so that pages are not nearly as bloated as with previous versions of FrontPage. Our MBA students (William and Mary) use FrontPage--I think anyone can. (Haven't you seen that FedEx commercial?) :D

Jim Becker
12-14-2004, 7:53 PM
Easiest to use? I recommend Macromedia Dreamweaver, however there's more of a learning curve required.

Of the list you provided, I definitely recommend FrontPage 2003. Microsoft completely overhauled the HTML generation code so that pages are not nearly as bloated as with previous versions of FrontPage. Our MBA students (William and Mary) use FrontPage--I think anyone can. (Haven't you seen that FedEx commercial?) :D
I agree...I switched to Dreamweaver a couple years ago from FrontPage and haven't looked back, but for most folks, FP is very, very easy to use to create nice professional results. They have improved it a bit, too, and it doesn't generate so much "extra" code as it used to do.

Jim Fancher
12-16-2004, 4:00 PM
Frontpage is great for maintenance if you have FP extentions on your server. Site tweaks and backups are a snap.

Aaron Koehl
12-18-2004, 3:34 PM
Even if you don't have FrontPage extensions (a lot of ISPs don't like to have them installed), FrontPage will work just fine using FTP behind the scenes.