PDA

View Full Version : Unnatural Edge (One of those tall spindly things)

David DeCristoforo
08-17-2010, 8:39 PM
More often than not, forms like this have a natural edge on the body. But I had this nice round of spalty maple so I thought I would give it a "whirl". I had planned for a much rounder body but wood, as you may know, sometimes has it's own ideas. In this case it manifested as a nasty inclusion that was way deeper than it appeared at first. And way too ugly to include. So the shape of the body is pretty much what was left after I got the ugliness out.

This was (as seems to be the case with everything I make lately) not without it's "oh crap" moments. Yes, I mean in addition to the surprise ugly inclusion. I had made a pedestal I was pretty happy with and it had a shallow 3/8" hole in the top to accept the small tenon I had left on the bottom of the body. Unfortunately, (There's that word again) the tenon was 1/2"!?!? No problemo says I. I'll just drill out the hole a bit. Of course the bit immediately grabbed hold and twisted the top of the pedestal right off. Duh! So I had to cut out the middle of the pedestal, graft in another piece of wood and re-turn it. As it was, it worked out OK because I was able to make the pedestal a bit taller which I like.

The pedestal and finial are ebony and the lid is amboyna burl. Thanx to everyone who offered advice on fitting collars. It turns out that the same techniques also work great for lids only no glue.

The whole thing is 13.5" tall and 4.75" at the widest point.

Oh, yeah, one other thing. My wife and daughter have commented that the last couple of things I have brought in from the tent look dangerous due to the sharp points on the finals. So this finial is for them.

Bill Geyer
08-17-2010, 8:44 PM
David,
That is lovely - it just hangs there supported by so little.

Congratulations on such fine work.

Roger Chandler
08-17-2010, 8:47 PM
David,

Now that is a beautiful piece of work! One does rarely find a piece of wood with that kind of grain and character. That was a great save, as pursuing the form even though it had such a defect, made something beautiful out of what would have been a shame to have just discarded.

I really like your form on this....the main body with the lid and contrasting collar are just superb! The pedestal and finial both compliment the body and one another......Just gorgeous all around.

I'll tell ya, Keeton had better watch his back with things like this coming from you ;):D

Tom Sherman
08-17-2010, 9:04 PM
David this is a one of a kind piece, and very well done. Just curious what did JK charge you for the one on one class:rolleyes:. Just kidding you have accomplished great things here, the wood is awesome the figure in that wood gives the impression to me that the piece is fluted. Also inspite of your design opportunities with the stem you brought it through with a flair Great work.

bobby lynn
08-17-2010, 9:10 PM
Out did yourself on that one David. Great looking piece.

Frank Van Atta
08-17-2010, 9:12 PM
A great piece; I like it.

John Keeton
08-17-2010, 9:14 PM
I tried to tell you guys he was good!! Saw too much of him on the flat side - in our former lives!:D

Very nice work, David. Beautiful wood, and I like the finial application, too. One of which to be proud!

Roger Chandler
08-17-2010, 9:21 PM
I tried to tell you guys he was good!! Saw too much of him on the flat side - in our former lives!:D

Very nice work, David. Beautiful wood, and I like the finial application, too. One of which to be proud!

Tell me John, & David; were those the good old days? Or, how do you compare it with the fun or enjoyment/ satisfaction [might be a better term] now that you have traveled to the dark,;) er, uh, round side?

Just thought it would be interesting to have your take and David's on flat Vs. round...........I still really like both, and would have a hard time choosing which I like most, but I do get to "turn" out more projects with the lathe.

David DeCristoforo
08-17-2010, 9:32 PM
"...how do you compare it with the fun or enjoyment/ satisfaction...it would be interesting to have your take..."

A few years back, I sustained a serious hand injury in which my left thumb was almost completely amputated. It was repaired by a brilliant hand surgeon but he was unable to repair the knuckle. The result is a fairly normal looking thumb that has no feeling and does not bend. It's great for poking people in the eye! So my grip with my left hand is very uncertain. I tried to continue in woodworking but I have not been able to shake the feeling that it is only a matter of time before I lose my grip on something at just the wrong moment and get injured again. I really don't want to go through that again. So for me, turning is a way for me to continue to work without having to worry too much about kickbacks and huge spinning cutters and blades.

Also, most of my work have been pretty large in scale. My lathe projects are much more about finesse and detail than the work I did when I mostly built casework and furniture. It "new territory" for me and fascinating. I am finding that this kind of turning is almost like a meditation.

David E Keller
08-17-2010, 9:45 PM
I really like that piece. I love the wood combo, and the amboyna lid really adds something. The base and finial details are very nice. Mucho gusto, el Guapo

Roger Chandler
08-17-2010, 9:45 PM
"...how do you compare it with the fun or enjoyment/ satisfaction...it would be interesting to have your take..."

A few years back, I sustained a serious hand injury in which my left thumb was almost completely amputated. It was repaired by a brilliant hand surgeon but he was unable to repair the knuckle. The result is a fairly normal looking thumb that has no feeling and does not bend. It's great for poking people in the eye! So my grip with my left hand is very uncertain. I tried to continue in woodworking but I have not been able to shake the feeling that it is only a matter of time before I lose my grip on something at just the wrong moment and get injured again. I really don't want to go through that again. So for me, turning is a way for me to continue to work without having to worry too much about kickbacks and huge spinning cutters and blades.

Also, most of my work have been pretty large in scale. My lathe projects are much more about finesse and detail than the work I did when I mostly built casework and furniture. It "new territory" for me and fascinating. I am finding that this kind of turning is almost like a meditation.

David,

first of all, words are not sufficient to express my empathy for your accident......thankfully you got good medical help.

your description of turning being almost like meditation is almost spiritual in nature. I think it is wonderful that you have overcome a tragic happening, and have made the best of it.

In your situation, I can see that satisfaction is a matter of being able to pursue something that enriches you in such a way as turning, and that gives an entirely different perspective than what I was thinking; flat vs. round.

Thanks for replying :)

John Keeton
08-17-2010, 9:48 PM
Also, most of my work have been pretty large in scale. My lathe projects are much more about finesse and detail than the work I did when I mostly built casework and furniture. It "new territory" for me and fascinating. I am finding that this kind of turning is almost like a meditation.Roger, I think David's statement is, in large part, where I am - minus the injury!:eek: I first did longrifles for a few years, and then got into furniture. I do enjoy creating the furniture, but it seems that turning has released some hidden desire for pure art that I never knew I had. And, I can achieve a finished product in a matter of hours vs. weeks.

I can say this - since turning the first little bowl on December 24, 2009, I have not once had the yearning to do another piece of furniture. Not saying it won't strike tomorrow, but I sure am having fun doing this!!:D;)

Roger Chandler
08-17-2010, 9:55 PM
Roger, I think David's statement is, in large part, where I am - minus the injury!:eek: I first did longrifles for a few years, and then got into furniture. I do enjoy creating the furniture, but it seems that turning has released some hidden desire for pure art that I never knew I had. And, I can achieve a finished product in a matter of hours vs. weeks.

I can say this - since turning the first little bowl on December 24, 2009, I have not once had the yearning to do another piece of furniture. Not saying it won't strike tomorrow, but I sure am having fun doing this!!:D;)

John,

Interesting awakening on the "inner artist!" A plus for sure is the "hours" to complete a project, rather than the "weeks." There is still something about building something that is heirloom quality that makes me pursue a substantial undertaking!

Both you and David have expressed yourselves well in answering this question.

David DeCristoforo
08-17-2010, 10:54 PM
"... I can achieve a finished product in a matter of hours vs. weeks..."

That's another thing. For me, a project that took "a matter of weeks" was a small job. The third to the last major project I worked on lasted almost three years. Twenty six thousand BF of walnut went through my shop during that time. The last job I had (the one that I bunged up my hand on) was a year in process and only about a third complete. I'm no kid anymore and I can tell you this... I sure don't miss the backbreaking work of just handling that much material not to mention turning it into product!

James Combs
08-17-2010, 10:59 PM
That is simple gorgeous David. I really love the shape.

Bernie Weishapl
08-17-2010, 11:01 PM
David that is a beauty. Really nicely done.

Michael James
08-18-2010, 12:59 AM

David I can relate to your experiences, although we arrived down differrent paths. When I started putting a shop together again after being away from it all, I swore if it was over 20# or 10ft wasnt going to touch it due to yrs as a formica mechanic, post furniture work. I accidently found the lathe and discovered it could take me to that "spot" that rubbing out a finish could - an active meditation if you will. The huge bonus is the endorphin rush I get even tho Im just learning... maybe it's just the adrenaline because things happen fast on the lathe... but I like it, and BRAVO to you sir for adjusting course to stay in the game. I think these passions are in your blood or not.
Michael
ps - this piece also looks edible... ice cream?

Michelle Rich
08-18-2010, 6:04 AM
And here I thought these horrors only happened to me! ugh! What a great save. I like the angle of the 2nd pic the best..it sure shows the proportions better (I think) ..I agree with your family, sometimes these things look like lances or weapons..I too prefer to gaze upon & hold, something that looks appealing. Grand job

bob svoboda
08-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Wow. Love the wood and the proportions of this piece. Well worth your persistence to create such a work of art.

gary Zimmel
08-18-2010, 10:38 AM
David, that is really one sweet piece.. Very well done.

David DeCristoforo
08-18-2010, 12:04 PM
"...Keeton had better watch his back..."

This was posted last night and it's been bothering me ever since. I know, Roger, that this comment was meant to be good natured and complementary. And that's how I took it. It's human nature to want to compete and healthy competition can drive us to higher levels in all areas of out lives. John Keeton is an artist. So are many of the others who post on this forum. And their work will, no doubt, be an influence, not only on my efforts but on those of anyone who views their work. Having said that, I am not trying to compete with John or Keith Burns or David Keller or Leo or any of the others whose work I admire. I am trying to learn from them and, hopefully, over time, I will develop my own unique style and hopefully, achieve some approximation of the level of mastery that their work demonstrates. But mostly I will enjoy the learning and exploring and sharing.

Mark Hubl
08-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Very nice David. Love the wood and the proportions work well.

Roger Chandler
08-18-2010, 12:15 PM
"...Keeton had better watch his back..."

This was posted last night and it's been bothering me ever since. I know, Roger, that this comment was meant to be good natured and complementary. And that's how I took it. It's human nature to want to compete and healthy competition can drive us to higher levels in all areas of out lives. John Keeton is an artist. So are many of the others who post on this forum. And their work will, no doubt, be an influence, not only on my efforts but on those of anyone who views their work. Having said that, I am not trying to compete with John or Keith Burns or David Keller or Leo or any of the others whose work I admire. I am trying to learn from them and, hopefully, over time, I will develop my own unique style and hopefully, achieve some approximation of the level of mastery that their work demonstrates. But mostly I will enjoy the learning and exploring and sharing.

David,

I expected nothing less than what you just stated. Just so everyone knows .......my using the "keeton comment" was a way of complimenting your work and that of John's as well.

Both you and he have been an inspiration, and I surely know not a one of us are competing with one another on this forum! In fact, what this forum is all about is complimenting one another and supporting one another, which is why I "hang out" here from time to time.

It is the turning interest that brought me here in the first place, and it is the really wonderful folks here that keep me coming back!

David, I agree with you that John K. is indeed an "artist." I also think that you are one in your own right, even if you don't think of yourself that way. This last turning you posted speaks to your artistic prowess.

Be assured that I have the highest regard for both of you, as you work in the medium of wood turning! :)

Steve Schlumpf
08-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Very nice David! Great looking wood combination - the colors all work well together. Nice pedestal and finial - I like your use of coves! The piece has a balanced feel to it and is one you should be proud of!

Looking forward to seeing your next one! Seriously nice work!

Leo Van Der Loo
08-19-2010, 12:55 AM
You certainly have a feeling for shape, proportions and balance David, you took a very nice piece of Maple and turned it into an artistic shape combined it with a good looking finial and pedestal, I think you did very well, it is going to be more interesting here in the forum with all this talent I do expect :D

Karl Card
08-19-2010, 1:04 AM
I think all the good words have been used up...!!!

Very nice no matter how you look at it...

Baxter Smith
08-19-2010, 5:49 PM
Very nice work David. Your pedestal and finial look very good and complement the HF. I think your eye and skills for those are quickly evolving! Well done!