PDA

View Full Version : What to finish my table saw inserts with?

Nathan Dekens
08-17-2010, 7:32 PM
I just made a few zero clearance inserts for my table saw out of 1/2" cabinet grade plywood. Im wondering if I should just leave them unfinished or if I should use something on them? Any suggestions?

Will Overton
08-17-2010, 7:36 PM
I don't finish mine, but a coat of wax when you wax the table top wouldn't hurt.

David Christopher
08-17-2010, 7:39 PM
I put lacquer sanding sealer on then sand with 400 grit and wax

Myk Rian
08-17-2010, 8:10 PM
Wax is enough, if you feel like it.

Peter Quinn
08-17-2010, 8:14 PM
Just wax for me.

glenn bradley
08-17-2010, 8:43 PM
I use shellac, sand with a couple swipes of 400 and wax 'em. I don't get out the shellac just to do them. I use shellac frequently so when I am doing a piece I wipe the excess on the ZCI's, corner jigs or whatever expendable stuff like that is unfinished at the time. I've got a particle board top work surface that has so much stuff on it I don't know if the original wood is still there or not ;-)

Chris Padilla
08-17-2010, 9:24 PM
formica :)

Chip Lindley
08-17-2010, 10:39 PM
formica :)

Yeah! Formica! Why not cover the surface of a big piece of MDF with high pressure laminate before cutting out the ZCI blanks? As my daddy usta say, "It doesn't cost much more to go 1st Class!"

Will Overton
08-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Chip,

Do you need to do anything special when raising the blade to make the initial cut. I'm wondering about chipping.

Karl Card
08-17-2010, 11:01 PM
to prevent chipping on the top side when raising the blade just take and put a piece of scrap on top of the insert and that SHOULD take care of it... if it doesnt then I didnt say it...lol

but usualy when you cut anything and need no chipping just put a piece of scrap on that particular side...

Steve Griffin
08-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Yeah! Formica! Why not cover the surface of a big piece of MDF with high pressure laminate before cutting out the ZCI blanks? As my daddy usta say, "It doesn't cost much more to go 1st Class!"

And like my grandma used to say, if you can improve the safety of any operation at very little cost, you should. So choose bright orange, red or yellow formica.

(Or get lazy like me and just buy the dang things which come ready to go in orange).

It might only be a tiny safety advantage, but I've always thought a bright insert helps with situational awareness on a tool which you are constantly changing the relationship of fence to blade.

-Steve

Rich Engelhardt
08-18-2010, 7:11 AM
Any suggestions?
What have you got laying around?

My "go to" for shop jigs and fixtures changes as my "slop bucket" changes.

Last year when I finished some hardwood floors, I had the better part of a gallon of water based floor poly laying around.
That - & a coat of wax or two or three or four - became my "go to".

Prior to that, I had a can of Minwax Polycrylic "pour off's" that was my "go to". You know the stuff - the remnants/partial cans of finish that usually end up after each project.

The "bone pile" at the borgs and/or any local paint store is also a great place to pick up a "junk finish" for just a few bucks.
I picked up a gallon of a dark grey - almost black - for $2.00, and another gallon of bright lavender for $2.00.
A little lavender in the gray drew it back to a light gray that's a dead on match to the lighter gray on the Coleman line of cabinets.
A lot of dark gray in the lavender, drew it down to a dead on match to the dark gray on the Coleman cabinets.
Bottom line, for $4.00, I can make my shop cabinets look exactly like the Coleman cabinet I already had.

Shellac is also a great shop finish since it has a limited shelf life. There's no point in trying to save any leftovers for any length of time, so you might as well use it up on something.

Bill Huber
08-18-2010, 8:20 AM
I guess with all the different things people have added I will put my 2 cents in.

I don't use anything, I make mine ZCI out of Phenolic and they are slick and smooth to start with. They last forever, well maybe not forever but I have had the same one on the saw for over a year now and it is still in really good shape.

Now it does get waxed when I wax the table.

Tony Bilello
08-18-2010, 9:00 AM
Formica (Plastic laminate) works well for me. Actually, if I put plastic laminate on the top surface of the ZCI, it is the perfect thickness for my Delta Contractors Saw.