PDA

View Full Version : What to use to engrave these???

Phil Brevick
08-17-2010, 7:10 PM
Not sure if these were done with a rotary engraver? If not does anyone know how or where I could get something like this?

If it is a rotary engraver does anyone have a source for the blanks?

It seems like forever since I've been on here. I'll have to go back and catch up on what has been going on. Got too busy with other things and drifted away from my laser.

Thanks for any help... hope everyone is doing well!:)

Phil

Dan Hintz
08-17-2010, 7:12 PM
Looks like rotary to me...

Ross Moshinsky
08-17-2010, 7:56 PM
I don't think it was rotary engraved. I'd say it is a mass produced piece.

Joe Pelonio
08-17-2010, 8:20 PM
I don't think it was rotary engraved. I'd say it is a mass produced piece.
I agree, maybe done on a hydraulic press. Tap with a fingernail, see if it sounds kind of hollow under the ridges.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-17-2010, 8:46 PM
It doesn't look rotary to me either. I think some sort of press. The depths are different.

Kenneth Hertzog
08-17-2010, 9:08 PM
the one on the left looks similar to Ikonmetal
have done some laser work with it and it looks
similar. The one on the right looks stamped.
Just my opinion.
Ken

Ed Mihalack
08-17-2010, 9:23 PM
The right one looks stamped like a coin.

Mike Null
08-17-2010, 9:56 PM
The right one is embossed and maybe the same for the one on the left.

It is not likely rotary engraved. If it is engraved my guess would be the laser but it might be etched.

Rodne Gold
08-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Looks like spun cast from an etched master - the surface finish of the 1st pic suggests spin casting and antique brass finish.

Frank Corker
08-18-2010, 4:14 AM
Looks like a machine stamped out piece, I'd also go for mass production job personally.

Dan Hintz
08-18-2010, 6:35 AM
I take it from the comments this was not a one-off as I initially suspected?

Tony Christie
08-18-2010, 7:36 AM
Here's my bite from a first timer. The first one looks like lased wood with a clear or slightly tinted finish. The "goldie" appearance is from reflected light. I reckon I can see some wood grain.
The second is probably pressed brass or aluminium etc with a brassed finish.
Feel free to shoot me down.

Mike Null
08-18-2010, 8:20 AM
I think Rodney's got it for the one on the left but I'm pretty sure the right one is embossed. It could be cast but I doubt it.

Phil Brevick
08-18-2010, 4:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. Very helpful.

Does anyone know where to go to get something stamped like this? Quantities in the low hundreds to maybe a 1000.

Ross Moshinsky
08-18-2010, 5:12 PM
It's going to be a fact finding adventure. First start with someone like Matthews or Gemini as they deal with casting. From there, they can point you in a direction. Sooner or later hopefully at some point, you get someone that can do the job.

I've been on these fact finding missions before. Most of the time between google and starting with the right phone call, you end up with someone who can do the job.

Martin Boekers
08-18-2010, 6:01 PM
You may check with these guys, I believe they do custom project also.
A lot May depend upon the finished size you need.

http://www.classic-medallics.com/

Marty

Phil Brevick
08-18-2010, 7:46 PM
Thanks! I'll try those and go from there.

Conrad Fiore
08-19-2010, 8:38 AM
Left-etched
Right-embossed

Take a loupe and look down into the lines on the left piece. If they are etched, they will look like they were sand blasted, a very fine pebbled finish.
Looking at the rear of the right piece, if the lines are pushed up from the rear, it is embossed.

Mike Null
08-19-2010, 7:38 PM
I have an idea that both may be copyright protected as the one on the appears to be art for or from a duck stamp and possibly the same for the other.