PDA

View Full Version : Seeking finish opinions

Michael Barry
12-10-2004, 7:47 PM
Today I turned a bowl out of a very nice maple burl. It has some really interesting figure. I'm looking for some ideas on how to make the figure stand out. BLO? Shellac? Tung oil? Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mike :confused:

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-11-2004, 1:39 AM
I would suggest either Shellac or French Polish. Both will show off the the grain.

Bruce

Jim Becker
12-11-2004, 9:06 AM
I use an oil finish; typically Watco, Waterlox or Minwax Antique Oil Finish, applying it on the lathe and "pushing" the finish after it soaks in a bit by turning on the machine and buffing with a soft cloth to produce heat from friction. This is repeated 3-5 times, depending on the piece. Once the majority of the object is done it is removed from the lathe an allowed to cure for about a week. It is then buffed with the Beall system to a soft shine. Small modifications are needed depending on how you have the piece mounted when it's on the lathe; I often use a vaccum chuck, but have used just about any other method with equal results. The area from parting is handled manually and will blend in once buffed.

Steve Jenkins
12-11-2004, 10:47 AM
My suggestion for a finish is to take some scrap wood from your project and just try a small amount of different finishes on it. If you keep on hand a little BLO,watco,varnish,etc. you can quickly build up a nice library of all the woods you use with all the different choices of finish. As for "popping the grain" the will all work well if thinned a bit and applied so the finish can soak in. As proof just take a wet cloth (water) and see how well it "pops" the grain.

I think the biggest difference you will find between the various finishes is how they affect the color of the wood. Try using a finish that has a strong yellow tint on Walnut. You might be surprised.