PDA

View Full Version : Turner Lurker or Lurker Turner?

Bill Hunt
08-17-2010, 6:16 PM
I'm Bill hunt, I've been lurking around for a long time but have never posted photos so I'm going to try to post a couple today. I like to turn a variety of things but do a lot of turkey calls and have begun turning duck calls but Bowls are still my favorite .

It's been too hot here in SE MS. for the past couple of months to get any shop time in but thanks to TD 5 we've got temps in the low 90's and some rain to sorta cool things off so I was able to get in the shop today.

I bought the McNaughton coring system back in April and got some Southern Red Maple, Poplar, and Black Walnut cored and finished turned a three bowl set of the Maple today.
Thanks for looking and comments and critiques are always welcome.
I'm pretty sure you can tell I'm not a photographer.
Bill

David E Keller
08-17-2010, 6:32 PM
Welcome, Bill. I like posters better than lurkers.

You don't mess around when you get shop time, huh? That's a great looking stack of roughouts, and the finished maple set looks great... I like the rim treatment you did on the smallest of the three. I hope you get some more shop time soon because I'm looking forward to seeing what you turn next.

charlie knighton
08-17-2010, 6:51 PM
very nice, welcome

Steve Schlumpf
08-17-2010, 7:05 PM
Bill - good looking stuff! Welcome to posting on the Creek!

What part of SE Miss are you in? Lived for a while in Biloxi - courtesy of USAF!

John Keeton
08-17-2010, 7:16 PM
Bill, you certainly are a "long time lurker!" Been around since 2004, and been holding out on us all this time! Nice bowls, and some very nice calls - love the middle one. Looks like cocobolo, but more red?? What flavor is it?

Don't keep us in suspense when you get back to the shop - more pics are required!:)

gary Zimmel
08-17-2010, 7:53 PM
Good to see you posting Bill.
Looks like you've been pretty busy in your shop.
Thanks for the look see and looking forward to some more turning pics...

David DeCristoforo
08-17-2010, 9:01 PM
So that makes you a "turnerker". Or a Lurkearner". Either way... welcome. There's probably a ton of guys out there just churning out nice work that we will never see.

Roger Chandler
08-17-2010, 9:03 PM
Really like those calls! The red maple bowls are gorgeous, and what a nice set of cored bowls.....that ought to keep you spinnin' for a while ............................Welcome to the creek!:D

Aaron Wingert
08-18-2010, 12:08 AM
It is good to have another callmaker here on the creek! Good looking work Bill.

Mark Hubl
08-18-2010, 12:56 AM
Welcome aboard Mr. Hunt. The coring system looks to be working well, nice calls. Watch out for Nurse Ratched!

Bill Hunt
08-18-2010, 9:33 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind welcome, Steve, I'm about 130 miles or so NE of Biloxi about 2 miles from the AL/MS line. 85 miles north of Mobile. We're in the Hurricane zone. The only benefit is that I'm still turning Katrina wood. I have a neighbor who has a tree service so he keeps me supplied with a lot of stuff I don't have on my place. Osage orange , the maple, black walnut, etc.
John, the call is cocobolo, finished with bees wax. buffed at high speed.

As for shop time I'm sure as others have found out in retirement there's not a lot of time to do everything. I don't know how I had time to work for a living!

Thanks again and I'll try to do better about posting.
Bill

bob svoboda
08-18-2010, 9:52 AM
Nice turnings and welcome to the light of day. Can't wait to see more of your posts.

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Welcome to SMC Bill. Nice looking turnings. Look forward to more.