PDA

View Full Version : New To Turning

Mike Rushing
08-17-2010, 4:53 PM
I would like to get started in turning small stuff (pens game calls craft stuff) for a hobby and I need to get a lathe but have no idea what to look for and I cannot find any local to look at so I need your advice. I have looked at the reviews and I know I want a mini or midi with 2MT in the tailstock and headstock just do not know what one or if I need variable speed or not. I like the reviews on the Delta, Jet and the Turncrafter Commander 12. If you have any input on these or others please let me know.

Roger Chandler
08-17-2010, 5:02 PM
If I were you I would take a good hard look at both of these, as they both have features that are what most experienced turners want, and they are in the midi size range and have a reasonable cost for the new turner. They are:

Penn State Industries - Turn Craft Commander 3000

Delta Midi 46-460 [?] Double check the model number to make sure!

Pens and game calls are a great hobby, and can produce income to support your turning as well.............Welcome to the Vortex! :)

Steve Schlumpf
08-17-2010, 5:16 PM
Mike - Welcome to the Creek!

A lot of folks have the Delta 46-460 lathe and are quite happy with it. Worth checking out!

Thomas Canfield
08-17-2010, 6:14 PM
Mike - welcome to turning. Hang on for the ride. It has been said many times and I'll say it again "Get with a local turning club" for help with learning to turn and get some hands on feedback on different tools. Don't know which part of LA you are in, but we have a GREAT turning club, East Texas Woodturners in Tyler, TX that normally meets on the second Saturday of the month. There may be a club close or at least some turners that can give you some good advise. You will quickly find out that the lathe is one of your smaller investments when you add on the different tools and accessories. Good advise will help prevent accumulating a lot of "looks & sounds good" clutter, and get the proper tools, finish, and accessories for your intended purpose. Check out someone that is doing the type of work you want to do - most are more that anxious to help others.

David E Keller
08-17-2010, 6:38 PM
Welcome to turning. I've had lathes with and without variable speed, and I greatly prefer the VS. If you can swing the cost difference, I'd go VS.

The only one of those three that I've used is the Delta 46-460, and it's a great little lathe. Others on the site may be able to advise you comparing the three you listed.

Not that it will do any good, but I feel obligated to warn you that you are about to become addicted!

John Keeton
08-17-2010, 7:10 PM
Mike, welcome to the creek, and welcome to the round side!! Many on the creek own the Delta 46-460, including me, and seem to be very pleased with it. There are also a bunch of Jet owners who seem to be satisfied, as well, though I believe for the money the Delta has some winning features. Quality wise, both seem to be very good lathes.

I am familiar with the TurnCraft lathes from the catalogue. Seem to have very good features, but I have never used one, nor talked with anyone that owns one. I believe I recall a couple of creekers owning one of the TurnCraft lathes - perhaps an earlier one.

Michael James
08-17-2010, 7:35 PM
About 10 months ago I thought it would be nice to turn a couple of pens. I got hooked and I would like to blame these creekers, but it seems they are the only ones who truly understand
Keep your tools sharp and your credit intact. This is one deep rabbit hole!:eek:
Michael

David Christopher
08-17-2010, 7:53 PM
the Delta 46-460 has great reviews. if I was getting a smaller lathe, this would be the one

BTW welcome to the creek

Jenn Hill
08-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi Mike,
Welcome. This is a great place to learn. My boyfriend bought me my first lathe, a harbor freight mini. I rapidly realized that I needed something bigger and more powerful. I purchased a Delta 46-460 and have been extremely happy with it. It's perfect for small to medium sized things.