PDA

View Full Version : Buying wood online

Mark Woodmark
08-17-2010, 4:30 PM
Has anyone purchased exotic hardwood, figured hardwood, or burls online? If so who do you recommend?

Scot Ferraro
08-17-2010, 6:07 PM
I bought several hundred board feet of Birds-eye Maple from Bell Forest Products. Boone Bell helped me and sent sample pictures and matched the stock for color...he even worked with me on shipping. I would buy from them again.

Scot

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-17-2010, 6:18 PM
Has anyone purchased exotic hardwood, figured hardwood, or burls online? If so who do you recommend?

Yes I have. Never been burned.

Gary Conklin
08-17-2010, 8:09 PM
I have purchased locally though I know he sells online wood from Scott Smith (http://sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=23625) and have been very pleased he has some of the widest QSO that I have seen. Every time I have visited his sawmill he always has a nice selection and is great to work with.

Mike Davis NC
08-17-2010, 10:04 PM
I looked all over NC for wide QSWO and finally got in touch with Scott Smith at Whispering Pines Farm. He had some great figured boards over 10 inches wide that were perfect for my project and his price was less than any of the places that were out of wide stock. I saw plenty of wood there when i went to pick up my 200 board feet. There were some 20 inch wide quarter sawn boards like I had never seen.

I still have his phone number because he is the first place I will check next time I need kiln dried oak.

Scott Smith (919) 291-0095
New Hill, NC

Karl Card
08-18-2010, 1:34 AM
I get all of my exotic wood from a guy on ebay. exoticwoods2000. He is down in tennessee and a good guy and has very nice wood. I probably have over 1000 dollars of wood from this guy and not one piece has bothered me.

He also will either paletize it or send it mail, depending on how much you want.

I have also bought a few pieces from bell forest with no problem.

I will just stop there. I have bought alot of wood online and never yet have had a problem. There are a few people on ebay who I have bought from that had me a good deal as long as I came and got it... some think shipping is a retail establishment in its own.

I would also like to add that I have no affiliation with any of the mentioned companies. When I have been treated great I like to share that information because it seems customer service is a long gone skill.

Zach England
08-18-2010, 8:36 AM
I can't drive and don't have any woodworking friends, so my trips to lumber yards are few and take a bit of begging/bribing, so I have bought a lot of wood online. It's expensive, but convenient. Bell Forest has been ok for me (just got a nice 50 BF of tiger maple and 50 BF of cherry), but for most stuff I prefer woodworker's source (www.woodworkerssource.com), mostly because they are in AZ so shipping to me is less painful. I have always gotten nice wood from both these places. I have also done the ebay thing with mostly good results.

Will Overton
08-18-2010, 8:46 AM
Most (90%) of my wood is bought online. I've tried a few places and found that Woodworkers Source has consistently provided the best wood. They are not the cheapest, but when buying sight unseen, getting quality each time is more important to me than spending a few dollars more.

They also have a wide selection.

Dave Wagner
08-18-2010, 9:20 AM
I bought from numerous sellers on Ebay and have had good luck.

Also, try www.westpennhardwoods.com (http://www.westpennhardwoods.com) they do a lot online (Some ebay too).

Mike Hollingsworth
08-18-2010, 1:39 PM
I get all of my exotic wood from a guy on ebay. exoticwoods2000. He is down in tennessee and a good guy and has very nice wood. I probably have over 1000 dollars of wood from this guy and not one piece has bothered me.

He also will either paletize it or send it mail, depending on how much you want.

I have also bought a few pieces from bell forest with no problem.

I've also bought wood extensively online. Bell Products is great.
I stopped buying from that other guy when a cracked up piece of PurpleHeart arrived at my door. I haven't found a market for PurpleHeart toothpicks.

Bas Pluim
08-19-2010, 9:44 AM
I looked all over NC for wide QSWO and finally got in touch with Scott Smith at Whispering Pines Farm.
+1. Scott has some amazing oak, both white and red, most of it quartersawn and riftsawn. Beautiful wood. The hardest part is picking boards that are narrow enough to fit my jointer - and I have a 12" jointer! I usually buy my lumber rough, but I know he supplies S2S and S4s as well, in whatever width you need.