PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a special effcts feature

Albert Nix
08-17-2010, 2:34 PM
I am looking for an eroded athletic type font and cant find the one like I want. Is there an effect that can be applied to a regular font to give it that distressed or eroded look. I have look through my corel and my LXI but cant turn up anything. Have any of you guys ran across any such tool?? Thanks:Al

Mike Null
08-17-2010, 2:50 PM
Try using a font like Princeton. Convert it to curves and delete the middle portions then use one of the hundreds of fills (textures, patterns, Post Script) to achieve what you're after. You can also use the power clip feature if you find a bitmap fill you like.

Joe De Medeiros
08-17-2010, 3:35 PM
have you looked on dafonts.com under eroded, it might have what you want.

Albert Nix
08-17-2010, 4:25 PM
I tried da font they have some neat fonts that have the effect I want but not want I need for this project, thanks.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-17-2010, 5:09 PM
You could tweak the font in one of the various paint programs and blur the edges, spray paint a white overlay with a splatter brush. There are all sorts of different brush styles you can play with and enlarge or shrink them in size. This sample took only a few clicks to create with Paintshop Pro and a marble brush. It took me longer to save it and upload it.

Albert Nix
08-18-2010, 8:28 AM
Thanks guys...close but not really what I am looking for.

Scott Shepherd
08-18-2010, 9:03 AM
Albert, advancedartist dot com has a "distress generator" for Corel. It will make anything look distressed and there are many variations of the distress look. I do think you have to convert the text to a bitmap before doing it, which probably isn't a problem, but should be noted.

I just looked at their site and they have revamped it and made it into a larger product. It's called the "Fashion Factory CorelDraw Plug-in". Might be what you want, take a look.

Albert Nix
08-18-2010, 9:04 AM
Got it....Good idea Mike....Havent tried to figure it out in corel but got it to work in LXI. I took another eroded font that I had that looked the way I wanted. I put a solid block behind the letter then selected both layers and hit cutout. It gave me a negative of all of the little cutouts in the letter. I duplicated some of the pieces I liked and and grouped them untill I had a nice size group. Then I typed the text in the font that I wanted to use...layed the group of bits and peices over the top and did another cutout and had what I was looking for. Cool..Thanks Mike!!

Scott Shepherd
08-18-2010, 9:10 AM
Correction, you do not have to convert it to a bitmap before applying the distress generator. I've had it for a while, but haven't used it. It came free with training DVD's we bought.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-18-2010, 1:09 PM
Great! When you're done, if you can post an image of the text, we can then know exactly what you were looking for and possibly show how to do it in one of the typical programs used.

Sounds like what you just learned to do on your LXI program can be then applied to future special effect projects with ease. :cool:

Albert Nix
08-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Here is what it ended up looking like.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-19-2010, 1:39 PM
I prefer to use Paintshop Pro, so to make something similar in a raster format, I would type the text, add a Texture Effect using the Texture tool and Tin Foil worked for me. I then added another Texture Effect using the Straw Wall tool and played around with the settings.