PDA

View Full Version : Contractor Help Please

Kevin Gregoire
08-17-2010, 1:39 PM
hello, im in need of some help from a contractor please (local or distant)

i bought a through the wall a/c unit yesterday and i need
a part for it but the places locally here wont sell to me, they
only sell to contractors but first i just want to check on a price
if anyone is willing to do this for me or not i would greatly
appreciate it!

i can paypal you some money to cover your phone call?
i have two numbers and one is toll free
i live in South Dakota where the company with 800 number is located
other number is in Iowa which is close by

if after checking a price, if you would give me a deal maybe i could
somehow pay you and then pick it up or ???
with this heat im in desperate need to get this thing installed and going.

i hope someone will be kind enough to help me out??
thanks

Comfort-Aire BG-101A (http://www.comfort-aire.com/downloads/category/132/bg-101a)
i want the Sleeve for this unit

Sleeve with louvered grill = AXSVB4
Sleeve with expanded grill = AXSVB3
WILL TAKE EITHER SLEEVE IN STOCK

JA Larsen Supply 1-800-829-6860 (SD)

Johnston Supply 712-277-2200 (IA)

Lee Schierer
08-17-2010, 1:54 PM
Sometimes if you say it for the company you work for and pay cash they will sell to you directly. Otherwise why not be a contractor for the day, after all you are installing it.

Kevin Gregoire
08-17-2010, 2:21 PM
im disabled retired
and wouldn't i need a license or tax # to be a contractor?

Mort Stevens
08-17-2010, 2:26 PM
Otherwise why not be a contractor for the day, after all you are installing it.

Yeah, you definitely need to look the part; if you show up in nice pants and a shirt with a collar they can spot you a mile away - you need to wear a dirty old white tee-shirt, the filthier the better, the holier the better, the kind that the dirt is actually holding it together and if you washed it, it would completely disappear! Old blue jeans that the dog chewed on and haven't seen a washer ever, so dirty in fact they can stand up by themselves! And worn out brown work boots. Maybe a beatup, sweat stained ball cap, if you usually wear one.

I've dealt with these kinds of places all my life and as long as you 'look' and act like a contractor no one will ever question you.

Dan Friedrichs
08-17-2010, 2:50 PM
I've dealt with these kinds of places all my life and as long as you 'look' and act like a contractor no one will ever question you.

I've never understood this - why is it that they will only sell to contractors? Why turn away business?

Chip Lindley
08-17-2010, 3:05 PM
I've never understood this - why is it that they will only sell to contractors? Why turn away business?

'Cause it keeps out the well-dressed RiffRaff! ;-)

Seriously, If you tell the counter guy you are doing your own contracting, they rarely turn away business. Even less work for them if you don't have a Tax Number, and pay cash.

Ellen Benkin
08-17-2010, 3:18 PM
I placed a phone order for some materials for a contractor who was working on my house from a place that only dealt with contractors. I told them I worked for the contractor and could, if necessary, give them his license number. They never asked any questions and shipped the parts we needed to me at my address. If you have a friend who is a contractor ask if you can order the parts and use his license number if they ask for one. Based on my experience, no one will ask.

Kevin Gregoire
08-17-2010, 3:54 PM
sorry but no dirty, grungy looking clothes laying around.
and if i knew any contractors i would have asked them to do it already.
and im not any good at lying, i would probably get nervous and say something stupid?

Tony Bilello
08-17-2010, 4:18 PM

One reason is that they dont want to compete against the contracts that bring them most of their business. If they do, they will lose the contractor business.
Another reason is that most businesses pick the mode of operation they want from the very beginning. Wholesalers tend to weather the bad economies better than retailers and they chose the wholesale end.
Yet another reason is that contractors usually dont ask questions and hang around. They know what they want, they order it and are equipped to load up themselves or have large enough orders to make shipping free or at least reasonable. Quick and usually large sales.

Kevin Gregoire
08-18-2010, 1:13 PM
no contractors have called to check on a good price for me? :-(

my local heating and cooling place got back to me finally and they called and got a
price for me and about knocked me off my chair! $127. WTF??? i know that is retail
cost but that is insane! its a piece of tin for crying out loud.

i would really like to know what wholesale pricing would be on it? but if retail is so
high then wholesale is probably over fifty bucks and that is more then i want to pay.

i think im going to have to just build my own out of plywood and forget about the
factory sleeve.

Andrew Nemeth
08-18-2010, 3:27 PM
In my expirience, supply companies do not often discount their merchandise beyond 5-10% for most items like that, in-fact they are often more expensive than finding the parts online. I routinly pay more money at supply houses than the BORGs but it is worth it for the costomer service. Now, if you are buying items in bulk, that's another story.

John Toigo
08-19-2010, 8:32 PM
I don;t dabble with HVAC stuff much but I do know that by law suppliers are only allowed to sell some HVAC stuff to licensed HVAC Contractors. In the old freon days it was possible to convert it to Fosgene gas which is highly toxic.