PDA

View Full Version : Coming out

Harvey Schneider
08-17-2010, 1:28 PM
Hi everybody,
I have been interacting on this forum for a couple of years, but I have never shown my work.
I have been turning for about four years with some breaks to recover from surgeries.
I do mostly bowls, with a preference for work that is in the 10 to 15 inch diameter range. Anyway the long and short of it is hear is some of my work.
Honest comments and criticism is always welcome. I don't need flattery even if it does feel good.

steven carter
08-17-2010, 1:32 PM
While you may not need flattery, you are going to be hard pressed to avoid it if you keep showing work like this! The bowls are really good, I especially like the closed forms.

Steve

David E Keller
08-17-2010, 1:35 PM
Thanks for sharing. I really like the forms on the 3rd and last pieces. I usually don't like feet on pieces, but I can't imagine that last piece without it... It seems to float. I hope you continue to show your work.

Tony De Masi
08-17-2010, 1:37 PM
Very nicely done Harvey. You, like me, are certainly not tied to one style of bowl either. I'm intrigued by the one on the bottom row middle. Looks like walnut to me but also appears to be two pieces? I also like that finish on that one as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Tony

John Keeton
08-17-2010, 1:46 PM
Harvey, you have been holding out on us!!!! That is some beautiful work - not flattery, just the honest truth. Great form on everything. I particularly like the footed bowls (sometimes I do that just to counteract David K.!:D)

Very nice work. Of course, now we need to hear more from you.:)

Roger Chandler
08-17-2010, 1:53 PM
Harvey,

No flattery needed here with these, as they speak for themselves! Good form and finish, and I like the thinness of the walls.........they look light for the size.

Is the first one Osage orange? The walnut is beautiful!

Karl Card
08-17-2010, 1:54 PM
I start to look at them and think I like this one best, no that, no the other one and well I finaly came to the conclusion that all are very nice in different ways. I will however say that for my likings the bottom middle really catches my eye. I think the reason is the richness of the wood plus the awesome finish...

Talent is everywhere around me but not with me...

Harvey Schneider
08-17-2010, 2:01 PM
Thanks for sharing. I really like the forms on the 3rd and last pieces. I usually don't like feet on pieces, but I can't imagine that last piece without it... It seems to float. I hope you continue to show your work.
Many years ago I did pottery on the wheel. I had a teacher who insisted that a good bowl appears to float just above the surface that it is sitting on. I think she was right.

Harvey Schneider
08-17-2010, 2:08 PM
Very nicely done Harvey. You, like me, are certainly not tied to one style of bowl either. I'm intrigued by the one on the bottom row middle. Looks like walnut to me but also appears to be two pieces? I also like that finish on that one as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Tony
That is African Mahogany. The thickest I could get was a 2" (8/4) plank so I used a cutoff tool to cut out a truncated cone and glued the cutoff back on to the top. I was able to get good color match, but I couldn't figure out what to do with the grain difference. The next piece I did had an Ebony accent ring separating the two body parts.
The mahogany finishes beautifully, but I quickly got sick of red dust everywhere.

bob svoboda
08-17-2010, 2:30 PM
Very nice work on all of these. Thanks for sharing and keep 'em coming.

Steve Schlumpf
08-17-2010, 5:27 PM
Nice variety of bowls! Glad you decided to show your work! Looking forward to seeing more!

Christopher K. Hartley
08-19-2010, 2:36 PM
Harvey, I was looking back and found your post. I really like the forms you have chosen and the work appears to be really good. I would like to see multiple views of the same work in the future to give you what you are asking for. I know exactly the type of review you are asking for and appreciate that you are open to the critique process. I hope to see more soon.:)

Baxter Smith
08-19-2010, 5:31 PM
Harvey, those are all nice looking bowls with a variety of shapes.

Bernie Weishapl
08-19-2010, 6:11 PM
Harvey you have been holding back on some nice turnings. Thanks for sharing. I like most all of them so don't have a favorite per se.

wes murphy
08-20-2010, 1:21 PM
great work. like the shapes and forms

David Christopher
08-20-2010, 9:23 PM
very nice bowls, why did you wait so long

William Hutchinson
08-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Good to have you out of the closet- it was getting crowded in here. Your turnings are very good. As a new turner, I am beginning to understand design and forms and can learn much for your works. Please share more.