PDA

View Full Version : box ala weissflog

Michelle Rich
08-17-2010, 11:59 AM
For the past week I have been working on counter-rotating volutes(not circles as in this, but an expanding pattern..think big bang!) as a new concept in my negative space designing adventure. I have not quite perfected it yet. :mad: I have this box done & I thought I would share it. :)Hope you are intrigued and enjoy it. The box lid & base are threaded and keep the rim trapped. Birdseye maple and spalted maple

Scott Hackler
08-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Michelle,

You sure have developed a really neat technique. I really like your forms and was wondering how big this (and the other ones) are.

John Keeton
08-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Ahhh!! Starting to up the anty!! Mixing of elements - pretty neat.

Michelle, I am looking forward to seeing the prototype of the counter rotating volutes. Are you trying to use a true spiral, or some form of the Nautilus (Golden Rectangle)? This will be interesting!!!!:cool:

Roger Chandler
08-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Michelle,

Is that totally turned on a lathe? If so, I would think that kind of off center turning really makes for some extra alertness when the big part comes flying by, :eek: and you would be turning a good bit of air.........

Really innovative what you have done here.........very interesting work!:)

Michelle Rich
08-17-2010, 12:09 PM
They are designed for window viewing and watching the sun change the look as it moves in the sky..most are 9-11 inches..Hard to find wide solid wood..spinning these is scary enough..adding glue joints..EEK...

Michelle Rich
08-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Morning John..thanks for your comment , and yes the anty is upped!!!:D:D The counter-rotating concept is tricky and my portotype looks like 2 snails crossing on a path! Best description I can give is the volutes are from column designs, but when I see the concept I think organically and see the snail shell...

Michelle Rich
08-17-2010, 12:19 PM
thanks Roger..think eccentric..and this is the reason why I use solid wood..hideously sharp tools and G-U-T-S !!! What I need to do these is a heavier lathe...The house shakes!

David E Keller
08-17-2010, 1:32 PM
Nice work, Michelle. I can imagine a little pucker associated with that piece turning eccentrically.:eek:

I've really enjoyed your negative space exploration. Thanks.

Michelle Rich
08-17-2010, 1:53 PM
Nice work, Michelle. I can imagine a little pucker associated with that piece turning eccentrically.:eek:

I've really enjoyed your negative space exploration. Thanks. You are welcome. A little pucker???:) Good heavens , I can no longer turn my head!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Karl Card
08-17-2010, 1:58 PM
They are designed for window viewing and watching the sun change the look as it moves in the sky..most are 9-11 inches..Hard to find wide solid wood..spinning these is scary enough..adding glue joints..EEK...

glue joints, that brings up a good subject. I was always told that a good glue joint was just as strong as the wood itself. Now I am saying that is what I heard, not what I know etc..

I have done some bowls that were glue ups from bottle top blanks and I did not have a problem, but that was not turning ecentric either.

Either way that is very neat and different.

Michael James
08-17-2010, 7:49 PM
Michelle,
Very interesting work. Having more experience with a router than as a newbie turner I could see doing that with a template. After hearing concentric turning I think I'll just leave it all alone and admire your work!:D
mj

David DeCristoforo
08-17-2010, 8:49 PM
This is really going somewhere! Each one is better than the last. OK, I guess that is the way it's "supposed" to be. But it's not always. I cant wait to see what you come up with next. BTW, this is the first one you have posted in which I see the negative space as the strongest element.

Curt Fuller
08-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Wow, you really getting good with this negative thing. They just keep getting better!

Michelle Rich
08-18-2010, 5:44 AM
hi David: I'm glad you see the negative! That 'ol positive gets all the looks & praise!! This pattern is a total steal from Weissflog. But I could not resist as it is so appealing. Have a good day

Norm Zax
08-18-2010, 8:42 AM
Impressive indeed! Wonder what the cross-section looks like. can you take a pic from the side?

Michelle Rich
08-18-2010, 8:57 AM
sorry..my camera on the fritz. I have to drive 120miles round trip to get a new one & I don't have time right now. Thanks for your comment.

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Wow that is a impressive piece Michelle.