PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Tools maintenance Plan!!

Mike Dawson
08-17-2010, 7:17 AM
Power tools come in many shapes sizes and are used for a lot of different purposes. But no matter what the purpose is, at the end of the day they get the job done efficiently and that’s what counts the most. For that we need to take special care of the tools that we are using. Well today we are going to discuss a bit about how to clean/maintain the top 10 most used power tools. I hope you will benefit and learn from this.

1. Electric Hand Drill
An Electric Hand Drill can be easily called as the tool that is used by majority of the people. Its usage is not just limited to drilling; different attachments can turn it into a sander and grinder as well. It’s really important to keep a drill well maintained and its pretty simple to maintain it as well. Always use sharp drill bits, avoid prolonged drillings, and allow the drill to cool down during drilling to avoid overheating that can cause serious damage to its electronics. Another way of doing so is by keeping the openings for air in the drill (or Air vents as they are called) and the motor clean by blowing compressed air on them. Compressed air cans are easily available at all hardware stores. After every use, make sure to clean the drill bits with either a house hold detergent or a bit cleaner (also available easily).

2. Power Sander
Sanders tend to collect a lot of dust as their usage involves producing a lot of dust, so it’s very important for us to take a lot of care for the sander that we use. When grime gets stuck inside the sander or builds up on the fan, it makes the sander over-heat preventing it from working properly. The sander should be cleaned regularly after almost every use with compressed air cans or by simply blowing air from your lungs on these areas, you can do so by removing the sand paper and then blowing compressed air over it and out of the vents. To prevent dirt and grime from accumulating always use a dust bag and make sure to clean the dirt bag as well before it gets full.

3. Drill Press
Drill presses come in many different sizes, but they all need to be taken care of in the same manner, doesn’t matter if it’s hand-held, bench or a floor model. Wipe down the table and all the metal area with oil or with paste wax (it’s relatively thinner than oil and is moisture resistant). Also apply paste wax to stationary surfaces. Check the front bearings at least once a month if you use the drill press often. Check the motor oil cups twice a year in order to prevent any problems. Lubricate bearing slots with No.20 SAE oil.

4. Saber Saw
The Saber saw is renowned for its ability to maneuver tight corners and cut curves in the wood. It also can cut through other materials like drywall, rubber and leather etc. The most basic thing that needs to be taken care of when it comes to saber saws is that it should be handled properly, majority of the issues with this tool that people have are because of their misuse of the saw. Poor practices often make it overheat and eventually burnout prematurely. If you engage your saw blade to the work piece before its motor reaches full speed, you are doing a lot of damage to your saw, please avoid doing that. Select the right speed for the material you are working with, for instance faster speed for soft surfaces and slow for hard objects. Sharp blades also play a very important part; using blunt blades can cause a lot of overheating, rattling of the saw, bend, break or even jam! Unplug the saw after each use, and use a toothbrush to clean the roller, collar and base of the blade shaft assembly. Using compressed air, blow air through vents. Remember to service the blade shaft assembly annually.

5. Chain Saw
The chain saw is a high power, high performance tool that is used for the extremely tiring job of chopping down trees and logs very easily. Keeping it clean from dirt and debris can avoid problems like over-heating, erratic runs or losing power. Clean the blocked fuel cap vents with a toothpick. Clean the air filter (if it has a paper air filter) by tapping it against a hard surface to knock off the dirt also make sure to replace the air filter when it gets too dirty. If the filter is of any other material like mesh, then use a screwdriver to disassemble sections of it and then rinse clean it with water and detergent. Dry the filter completely and then put it back on the chain saw. Do not forget to clean the muffles because if its kept dirty it would clog the saw. In case the muffler gets clogged, disconnect the spark plug, drain the fuel tank and unscrew the muffler cover. Remove the grime with the help of a wire brush (you can also use the wire brush to clean engine cooling fins). Check the carburetor on a timely basis in order to ensure that the chain saw starts properly. Check the chain for proper tension and sharpen it for an even cutting.

6. Hedge Trimmer
The Hedge trimmer cuts of the twigs and small branches with help of a multi-toothed blade. Before using it each time, take a clean cloth dampened with machine oil and wipe the blades with it, repeat this procedure before storing the tool for the season. The blade should always be kept sharp, in order to do so, use a smooth metal file. Inspect closely the brush assemblies on each side, long nosed pliers should be used to lift out each brush assembly and press each one to test its springs, if the springs are hard replace them. Lubricate the bearings properly and check on the motor as well, clean the motor by using a tooth brush. You should NEVER use a hedge trimmer under damp conditions.

7. String Trimmer
String trimmers are used to give a good shape to your gardens borders. String trimmers usually run on either gasoline or electricity. Both the types use a spool of nylon filament string as the cutting part. It’s very important to wear safety goggles, gloves and boots while using it. Clean off the dirt and clippings from the deflector by using either a stick or a stiff brush. Drain the fuel before storing the trimmer.

8. Lawnmower
Lawnmowers can practically be with you for a life time if you take proper care of them. Always get rid of the clumps of grass clippings on the lawnmower after you have used it. Keep the air filter and the fuel filter clean, so that the lawnmower doesn’t lose power or fail to start. Pay close attention to engine controls, follow your manufacturer’s instruction manual. Regularly check the oil levels, drain the crankcase and refill it after every 25 hours of use if you own a 4 stroke engine.

9. Motorized Garden Tiller
Tired of manually planting, breaking new ground or introducing new materials to your soil? This is where the Garden Tiller comes in and saves the day =). Apart from its functionality, it is very vulnerable due to the dirty conditions its operated in, so it requires a little extra care. Always wipe the machine down after each use, clean the fuel tank and air filter regularly to avoid collecting dust and choking the machine. Air filters can be cleaned by either tapping down on a hard surface (if you have a paper filter) other material filters should be washed, properly dried and then put back into the machine. Adjustment for the carburetor is also very essential.

10. Snow Blower
Shoving off snow is a very tiring job, and whose there to help this really difficult job easy? You guessed it right the Snow Blower. Taking care of a snow blower is very essential, if done so properly it can be used for a lifetime. Keeping the machines components clean is one of the things that should be looked upon, including the fuel filter, fuel tank cap vents and engine cooling fins. After using the tool, turn it off disconnect the spark plugs and clean the snow discharge chute. When you are storing it, it should be dry, so restart it and let it run idle for a while so that the ice melts off from it, then turn it off again, close the fuel shutoff valve and remove the key and then store it in a clean dry place.

For great reviews and news on tools visit my blog:
http://toolorbit.wordpress.com

Matt Day
08-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Something seems wrong about this thread.

Steve Milito
08-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Half of them aren't woodworking tools.:eek:

Will Overton
08-17-2010, 11:06 AM
I agree with the OP; my sander collects a lot of dust. Well, not so much since I started hooking it up to a dust extractor.

My lawn mower collects grass clippings ... go figure. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/notallthere.gif

Mr. Jeff Smith
08-17-2010, 12:03 PM

Appears that it is SPAM. Looks like he took a post from his blog and copied it here. Note the link at bottom (which i did not click)

Heather Thompson
08-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Appears that it is SPAM. Looks like he took a post from his blog and copied it here. Note the link at bottom (which i did not click)

Jeff,

Looks like you are right, I did click on the link and indeed it is from his blog. If I were to openly state those as the top ten tools I would be very afraid to step into my shop, the lights would go out and the sounds of very pizzed off saws, jointers, planers, routers, ect would be deafening and no more Heather. The cyclone would burp and that would be the end of story!!!!!

Heather

glenn bradley
08-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Definite pitch for his blog in thin disguise. Blocked him.

Tom Walz
08-17-2010, 12:51 PM
If you sharpened the blades on a rototiller you would have a sort of power adze for that rustic beam look.

If you try it, please psot a video.

Tom

John Nesmith
08-17-2010, 1:18 PM
It reads like it was written by a 12 year old. The sole purpose of the post was to create a link to his site.

Chip Lindley
08-17-2010, 2:59 PM
It all seemed a bit sophomoric to me, but I was expecting some link to canned compressed air! Guess he doesn't own a compressor! (They require maintainance TOO!)