PDA

View Full Version : Penn State Edge Clamps?

John Miliunas
12-10-2004, 6:13 PM
Anybody have/use the cam action edge clamps from Penn State? Don't know 'bout the rest of you guys, but I just don't think I can swing a whole lot of the Bessey version! :( Appreciate any info/feedback. :) :cool:

Jamie Buxton
12-10-2004, 6:44 PM
Or you might ask the broader question -- does anybody use edge clamps of any make? Me, I've always thought they seem too specialized. For almost all edging jobs, I can use ordinary pipe clamps (or their many cousins). Pipe clamps can also be used for many other tasks, whereas the edge clamps can only be used for this one task.

Anybody got contrary experience?

thomas prevost
12-10-2004, 6:54 PM
recently Pen State had a 10 for 1 sale one edge clamp attachments that fit on the "Sure Grip" clamps. I got a set they seem to work real well for picture frames. I can't rember what I paid but I thien it was around $6-7 for the 10 sets. Bonus is they came with 10 extra sets of normal covers. Don't know how they would work on larger projects as I have not used them for anything other than some picture frames. Check and see if they still have the sale.

John Miliunas
12-10-2004, 6:54 PM
Or you might ask the broader question -- does anybody use edge clamps of any make? Me, I've always thought they seem too specialized. For almost all edging jobs, I can use ordinary pipe clamps (or their many cousins). Pipe clamps can also be used for many other tasks, whereas the edge clamps can only be used for this one task.

Anybody got contrary experience?

Jamie, you're absolutely correct in the single, specialized task. I also understand and have used bar clamps, as you note. But, there is an instance where I think the dedicated edge clamps may serve better and that's when you have a curved face surface, with the opposite face still being square to it. That's actually the primary reason I'm thinking along theses lines. :cool:

Jamie Buxton
12-10-2004, 8:22 PM
John ---

Okay, there's one reason to buy them which I hadn't thought of.

Dunno if this idea would help, but when I've needed to do what you're considering, I've made a clamping jig like the following.

John Miliunas
12-10-2004, 8:28 PM
John ---

Okay, there's one reason to buy them which I hadn't thought of.

Dunno if this idea would help, but when I've needed to do what you're considering, I've made a clamping jig like the following.

Jamie, that's brilliant! A bit more time consuming, but a great idea! :) If I don't get any positive feedback on those edge clamps, I may just drop the whole notion and put your idea to use! :D Thanks! :) :cool:

Jamie Buxton
12-10-2004, 8:36 PM
John, making that fixture needn't consume much time at all. The facets for each clamp don't have to be exact at all. I hold the fixture board in place, kinda lookit where I think I need clamps, roughly mark those places and angles on the fixture board, and then cut the notches with a saber saw. I probably spend more time hunting around for a board than I do marking and making the notches.

There's one little trick to using the fixture. If you make one just like that diagram, you'll find you should start applying the clamps in the middle, where the clamps are at right angles to the fixture. If you start at one end, the fixture will try to slide along the workpiece. :eek:

Jamie

Dave Moran
12-11-2004, 8:30 AM
John, I have a half dozen of them, they work. These are the straight in version, they didn't have the offset style where you can also clamp around a corner, I wish I had a few of those while I was puting the carcass of the flow bench together.

Steve Clardy
12-11-2004, 9:51 AM
I have four of them. They work OK. But four of them doesn't get you very far on a ten foot glueup. Mine were 10.00 a shot, compared to Besseys 60.00 a shot.
If you have a need for them, go for it. But buy more than four like I did.
They hold real well.

Mike Tempel
12-11-2004, 10:21 AM
I own about a half dozen and use them any time I have some edging to do. Thing is, it is like all other clamps - you never have enough and resort to pipe or bar clamps.

I have also used wooden hand screw clamps. I put them on over the ply and use a short clamp to hold the edging on and use the hand screw clamp as a support/surface to clamp to and hold the pressure on the bar clamp.

Glenn Clabo
12-11-2004, 11:29 AM
John,
Don't know if this is any easier than Jamie's idea..but this is what I did for someone last year when they needed to edge something with a curved side.

Took a 3/4 sheet of CD ply cut the curve out with a jig saw...cut the corners off...hot glued em to the flat edge...put the clamps on. The order of clamping was important so you can get full contact.

Just a thought....

markus shaffer
12-11-2004, 2:52 PM
John,

I have some edging clamps and found them really useful.. i have a review of them at this link..

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=3668

if you have any other questions, let me know..

-markus