PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Insanity

Scott Hackler
08-16-2010, 11:54 PM
I wanted to try my hand at small lidded boxes and .... well... its gotten out of hand. Just a little too much fun. Most are tight fitted and the lids wont come off unless you want it off, but some got a little less attension and their lids just sit on top. I dont know what these little boxes would be good at holding as the largest is only 2 1/4" tall and the largest diameter is 1 1/3", but I made a bunch anyway. My wife says they are "really cute" so maybe the ladies in the family will get one for a stocking stuffer!

Along with the lidded box theme I also made my first set of salt and pepper shakers! The lid on these is on the bottom and they are tight pressure fitted. The spoon if for size. It was a little more difficult hollowing out the end grain to get the depth I needed but they are finished and full ... ready for the table.

Both sanding to 600ish and Blo. Salt and Pepper shakers also have 3 coats of lacquer.

Comment away! :)

Joe Shinall
08-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Very nice Scott. I'm hoping to get a chance this week to make my first lidded box as well.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Quite a collection you made there Scott, and looking good to, yes it seems the females do like these small boxes and not just one but all kinds of them, something like many of us have pots with little screws and bolts nuts and other goodies ;-))

The shakers do look nice, though salt might wreak havoc with the shaker for its tendency of absorbing water and discoloring the wood

Michael James
08-17-2010, 12:24 AM
I Like the mini lidded boxes and would guess you got quite an eduction making them - they do look nice! I've only made one out of consruction 4x4 pine end about 5" high. I'll work on the hollowing stuff and then go back and worry about lids.:cool:
mj

Michelle Rich
08-17-2010, 6:42 AM
nice boxes and shakers..many folks call them ring boxes..I believe women more than men, will take off their rings and need a place to put them. (so they don't end up in the sink trap!)

John Keeton
08-17-2010, 6:47 AM
Scott, there are programs available to help "box addicts!":D And, I am sure there are support groups here on the creek, as well!

Nice work on all of these, and I particularly like the shakers - very well done!

David E Keller
08-17-2010, 8:40 AM
That looks like a lot of fun. I did the same thing about a year or so ago after watching Richard Raffan's DVD on turning boxes... I still have about twenty roughouts for boxes that I haven't managed to finish.

That's a great little collection you made!

bob svoboda
08-17-2010, 9:48 AM
All very nice Scott. I especially like the way you matched the shapes of the S & P shakers.

gary Zimmel
08-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Looks like you've been pretty busy Scott.
Nice work on all the boxes and the shakers.

Bernie Weishapl
08-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Really nice looking boxes and shakers. A lot of women have bought mine to keep their rings in.

Paul Douglass
08-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Very nice gaggle of boxes. I'm currently into boxes, although I would like to get the video before I ruin more wood.

Roger Chandler
08-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Scott,

Now that is fun from a fundamental standpoint. Really like the forms on those boxes, and the wood is pretty as well. that is a great collection...........makes me want to turn some as well! :)