PDA

View Full Version : Replacing bowl gouge?

Joe Shinall
08-16-2010, 11:24 PM
How often do you need to replace a bowl gouge? I use a slow speed grinder with the Wolverine grinding jig and was just wondering how long some of you with the same setup go before the gouge gets too short to use.

Now that I have the profile I want on my gouge, sharpening doesn't take much off, but just wondering.

Reed Gray
08-17-2010, 12:46 AM
My first one, an Ellsworth signature HSS gouge lasted a couple of years. I have one that is pretty stubby now, and maybe 10 others, so, they should outlast me, as I am not turning as many bowls as I used to. It really depends on how much you use it, if you hone between sharpenings, how coarse or fine your grinding wheel is, and what type of steel you have. Lately, the electric guitar has been invading my time.

robo hippy

Leo Van Der Loo
08-17-2010, 12:54 AM
It'll take years to grind it all down, especially if you keep the same profile and use a light touch to sharpen, that's my experience anyway

Bernie Weishapl
08-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Like Leo said once you have the profile it doesn't take much to keep them sharp. I have some 5 yrs old that taking light passes on them are just getting to the point of replacement.

Joe Shinall
08-17-2010, 4:01 PM
I figured it would last a good while, just wasn't to sure. I'm still trying to get the "light touch" thing down on the grinder.

neil mackay
08-17-2010, 10:16 PM
It'll take years to grind it all down, especially if you keep the same profile and use a light touch to sharpen,

pretty well sums it up, ham fisted grinding is not the way to go. Get a light touch and use a diamond file to give them lick as you go.