PDA

View Full Version : New bandsaw tires

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-16-2010, 10:35 PM
My 80's vintage Rockwell 14" band saw started making strange noises when I installed an aggressive 1/4" x 3 TPI blade this weekend. I couldn't find a reason for it's bad behavior even after checking the wheel alignment, guide settings and blade tension. My spring is new and quite strong, especially for a 1/4" blade. I had purchased new tires though I never installed them. The old tires look fine but I know that after 30 years they are probably stretched. I decided to install the "orange" replacements. I noticed they are much thinner than my old rubber tires. The Rockwell wheels are recessed for the tires and the old tires were thick enough to be above the raised portion of the wheel. The poly tires barely reach the top of the rim and if a blade were to drift toward the edge of the tire, the teeth would make contact with the aluminum wheel. Has anyone out there replaced tires on this model saw. Did you experience the same issue?
fmr

Pete Bradley
08-16-2010, 11:38 PM
The orange tires are indeed a lot thinner. Probably not a big deal though since you're going to adjust tracking while turning the wheel by hand.