PDA

View Full Version : Lap Sharp Abrasive Question

Steve Milito
08-16-2010, 1:51 PM
How frequently does one need to replace the Trizact abrasives that Don recommends? I know there is no exact number but can you sharpened one tool, several tools, or many tools before changing the abrasive?

Steve Milito
08-17-2010, 8:40 AM
bump - Anyone know?

Jim McFarland
08-17-2010, 4:59 PM
If the scope is limited to "sharpening", I would say "several" to "many" tools can be sharpened before changing the abrasive. If the scope includes "flattening", then I can go through the abrasives quickly if a lot of material must be removed to flatten the backs. As you might guess, generally less work/wear when flattening LN/LV tools and more on the garage sale tools. I have some of the coarser abrasives for the LapSharp but still tend to use 80 g Norton paper on a granite plate for the major material removal (I'm retired though so I have more time than money!).

Steve Milito
08-17-2010, 6:09 PM
If the scope is limited to "sharpening", I would say "several" to "many" tools can be sharpened before changing the abrasive. If the scope includes "flattening", then I can go through the abrasives quickly if a lot of material must be removed to flatten the backs. As you might guess, generally less work/wear when flattening LN/LV tools and more on the garage sale tools. I have some of the coarser abrasives for the LapSharp but still tend to use 80 g Norton paper on a granite plate for the major material removal (I'm retired though so I have more time than money!).
Thanks. I splurged on a LS, and I'm trying to figure out how much abrasive I'll need. Single discs of the Trizact can be pricey, so I was wondering if it makes sense (or cents) to buy in quantities.

Chris Padilla
08-17-2010, 7:07 PM
Steve,

I moved this to the Neander Forum in hopes you get a few more views.