PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
08-16-2010, 10:23 AM
16 Aug 2010

Good Morning Everyone,
It's just been crazy hot here and I'm past ready for fall. I would have posted this earlier, but I just came off call for work and I was so exhausted that I slept through everything this morning.

What spare time I've had in the past couple of weeks has been spent helping my daughter get setup to have her own leather business. Learning about leather work and carving leather. I think she will do well as it but there's way too much for me to sit and learn to help her very much. I guess we'll see just how far this goes.

Got the holes fully patched from my buys making a couple of holes in my sheetrock walls. So maybe next week it will be the time to buy the paint and finish it all up.

The shop cleanup continues, but only as any of us have time. Now that school has started, time is even more limited.

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim O'Dell
08-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Well, I went out and played in the shop yesterday for part of the day. Miserable!!!! I remounted my overhead pick up to hinge inline with the saw blade instead of to the side. Will make it easier to take down when the need arises, and when I get enough "ballast" to balance it back out, I think it will work better. Won't try to pivot and twist. Not sure why it needs more weight than before. :confused:
Mounted a cheap drill sharpener jig to the grinder. I can't get the new grinding wheel to track straight. I'm sure it's the cheap grinder I have, but the universal mount for the wheel leaves some to be desired also. A series of plastic sleeves to adapt to the shaft size. Anyway, a Drill Doctor it's not. It didn't even come with any instructions.:( I'll have to save my pennies for a decent unit.
Other than that, rested and watched some Ranger Baseball. Jim.

paul cottingham
08-16-2010, 11:09 AM
It was hot. Stinking hot. But I managed to build 2 stick and panel doors for a bookshelf. My first ones ever. And they came out square and flat. The wonders never cease!

Stephen Ash
08-16-2010, 11:24 AM
In the long-overdue category, I finally leveled the top of the leg/apron assembly of my workbench with a router sled so that the MDF top would have a flat reference surface underneath. I've worked on this un-flat bench now for about 5 years, and ironically now that the top is finally flat, I'm retiring it to become an assembly table in preparation for workbench #2, which will be (what else) a Roubo style bench out of SYP. I rough-milled the boards for the top of that as well. It was pretty hot out there in the garage workshop, and I think I came in for a complete change of clothing 7 or 8 times...

-Steve

Rod Sheridan
08-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Went to a BMW motorcycle rally where I hooked up with a bunch of old friends and had green nail polish applied to my left hand pinky finger nail.

(It's kind of one of those wierd secret handshake sort of things).

Of course it's Monday morning at work and I am now answering questions from cow-orkers.

Next year I'll make a note to use nail polish remover before going to work.

Nail polish aside, it was a great weekend with many people from several probinces and states in attendance. The weather was good, in the high twenties with very little rain.

Regards, Rod.

Nick Laeder
08-16-2010, 11:58 AM
We listed our house for sale, and our real estate agent suggested I build a couple of pergolas over the front windows to hide some blemishes in the stucco from a previous owner. We can't afford a whole new stucco facade, so I agreed.

I built one pergola from start to finish this weekend. Waiting for the last coat of stain to dry before hanging it, hopefully tonight.

It would have been faster to make parts for both at the same time, but I wanted to make sure my design worked before committing to that much sawdust.

You can see in the drawing, I've experimented with different details to see what I liked. Maybe I'll remember to post a picture when I get one up.

Ben Martin
08-16-2010, 12:54 PM
I got back in the shop for the first time since about Dec! As always life had gotten in the way...

Made some stain samples, did a little bit of re-organizing, purchased everything to route compressed air for the garage down to the basement, had fun! Amazing what can get done when you wife is away with work!

Lee Ludden
08-16-2010, 8:03 PM
It was pretty hot here in Phoenix as well (about 113 or so on Sunday). I got about 15 hours of shop time in over the weekend and got this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=146311)knocked out. I figure I drank about 6 quarts or more of water a day, but I am pretty sure that wasn't enough.

David Nelson1
08-16-2010, 8:28 PM
Took 3 days days but I finally got to feeeling a bit better and loaded 650 Bdft on to my wood rack. This came to a screecing fault when i reliised I need the height of the rest of the wood to re-hang my a few shop light, with the aid of a 6 foot ladder.

10 foot ladder is the next major purchase. Other than that notta.

Matt Logana
08-16-2010, 9:10 PM
My accomplishment: Botch the simplest assembly I have done in a while; I was cutting the members for the mobile base, to get ready for today when I got back access to a bunch of drill bits... I started to assemble it... about 1/2 way through... I realized 2 of them are too short and I am out of lumber.... #$@!...:mad:..

So long story short... I think I will be waiting until I get a thicknesser before redoing it... because not only was shaving off 1/4 inch off boards dangerous(Not the cutting part, but cutting off the wavy parts that may be as little 1/16 inch) it was time consuming as heck... Perfect excuse to get a thicknesser/planer with this weeks paycheck...(Kid so no family obligations.. :) )

Van Huskey
08-16-2010, 9:52 PM
It always frustrates me when I read these threads and my only answer is... work. Not the fun kind but the kind that pays the bills, so much work this weekend that my wife got to cut our new sod for the first time, something I had been looking forward to... :(

I did get something kinda woodworky done, I revisted my budget for the new shop since I hope to break ground soon. What I hate is every time I look at the budget it gets bigger faster than I can save money...:confused:

James Baker SD
08-16-2010, 10:29 PM
the jigsaw puzzle that used to be my PM 15" planer. Long ways to go yet.

James

Matt Logana
08-17-2010, 12:24 AM
It always frustrates me when I read these threads and my only answer is... work. Not the fun kind but the kind that pays the bills, so much work this weekend that my wife got to cut our new sod for the first time, something I had been looking forward to... :(

I did get something kinda woodworky done, I revisted my budget for the new shop since I hope to break ground soon. What I hate is every time I look at the budget it gets bigger faster than I can save money...:confused:

Lol... financial figures have a way of doing that to you. Except you notice the RED likes to grow, where as the GREEN doesnt... :eek:

David Nelson1
08-17-2010, 6:36 AM

Its called scope creep its a E$%^&*( to control. Good luck with the budget they are hard to control.