PDA

View Full Version : first cut

Bob Riefer
08-16-2010, 8:09 AM
Last night - after a couple year's worth of rebuilding a barn to work in, a woodworking course, tool accumulation, tons of reading and asking questions, adding a 220 hookup for the table saw, saving pennies to afford all this, etc. - I got the table saw tuned up and made my first test cut with my new (to me) Grizzly 1023.

I tell ya, maybe it's just me, but that cut will stick in my mind forever. The smell, the ease of pushing the board through, the sound. And, I think the road to getting there makes it all the sweeter. There's maybe less than two dozen events in my life that are captured in that certain place in my brain.

Is your first cut similarly burned into your memory banks?

scott spencer
08-16-2010, 8:18 AM
That was a good descriptor...well said! Congrats.

David Weaver
08-16-2010, 8:49 AM

I don't remember the first cut, but I sure remember the first kickback that hit me (using a friend's saw without a guard). I use a guard on mine now, always have, but may have gotten big headed had that not happened and gone without one after a while.

glenn bradley
08-16-2010, 8:53 AM
I think good things have started with that cut. It feels great doesn't it?

Cliff Holmes
08-16-2010, 9:25 AM
I don't remember the first cut, that was about 40 years ago. But I do remember first using my then-new 1023SL, upgrading from a contractor saw about 18 months ago. Astounding how much smoother and easier it was. My SawStop may be a little fancier and a little safer, but I have to admit I was a little disappointed that there was no discernible difference in actual cutting.

David Helm
08-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Don't remember the first cut, it was at least 54 years ago. What I do remember is the 9th grade shop teacher showing us 14 yo boys the power of a table saw. We all got to watch him throw a board into the saw (all from a safe distance away) and see it get kicked back about 20 feet and embed itself into the door. That lesson has always stuck with me. I doubt that a shop teacher could get away with that these days.

Mitchell Andrus
08-16-2010, 11:40 AM
My first cut was in 6th grade. I won every 2x4 cutting contest. Didn't matter which hand saw (we always swapped for the second cut to make it even-Steven). The bigger kids thought they could brute-force the saw through the wood. HA.

Same year I used a router (hand-held) for the first time. I didn't follow the guide bar worth a damned.

Table saw... I don't remember, but I do remember the first (and last) time I ripped with a RAS. I'll never do THAT again.

Myk Rian
08-16-2010, 11:42 AM
I felt a bit like that when I got my new saw. (not a Griz) It was sooo smoooth.

Bill Huber
08-16-2010, 12:48 PM

That sounds like you need a new blade if its burning, or get it sharpened.

I went from an 8" Craftsman to a 10" Jet and I know what you mean, the cut was so nice and easy to make, and it even came out square.

Bob Riefer
02-05-2021, 10:42 AM
I've been searching for some info today, and am combing through my old posts. My god, the patience you all have had with me over the years is amazing (and thank you once again).

This particular thread was a fun one to find though... I do still remember that cut, made in my very-not-optimized-at-that-point-in-time barn setup, and am happy to report that it did propel me towards a decade of woodworking enjoyment (as well as a mix of fine firewood production and actually completed projects)

:-)

John K Jordan
02-05-2021, 11:12 AM

Yes, the first cut on my Woodmizer sawmill.

John Jardin
02-05-2021, 12:37 PM
Bob, enjoy the fruits of your labor especially the new rebuilt table saw.
You are also indeed fortunate to live close by Hearne Hardwoods...a great resource with great people

Bob Riefer
02-05-2021, 12:57 PM
Bob, enjoy the fruits of your labor especially the new rebuilt table saw.
You are also indeed fortunate to live close by Hearne Hardwoods...a great resource with great people

Thanks John! That old Grizzly served me very well, then I rebuilt it, then I bought a nearly new and nicer Grizzly from a neighbor... which is what I happily use today.

I used to drive by Hearne's on my way to client work each week, but never was able to stop at the time. It's about 45 minutes from here and I really need to prioritize getting there. On my list, and thanks for the nudge

ray grundhoefer
02-06-2021, 8:00 PM
Don't recall the first cut but I am 64 years old now and still have the first bookshelf I made when I was 14 . It's a little rickety and kind of rough but I'll keep it forever. Also have the gun cabinet made a few years later.

Jim Becker
02-06-2021, 8:32 PM
Always make the first cut with a species that smells nice. :) :D

Justin Rapp
02-07-2021, 9:10 AM
not including woodshop class in high school, my first cut was on a jobsite craftsman saw, trying to rip an 1 foot long piece of 2x4 and the saw was so off, that the wood bound up against the fence. When I moved my hand to shut the saw, the wood kicked back at me and it was like getting punched in stomach.

I adjusted the fence better, made the cut, used that saw for a few more things and than bought a better saw.

Alan Lightstone
02-07-2021, 9:26 AM
I vividly remember the first cut on my Sawstop. I inadvertently put the blade on backwards, and was stunned how poorly and how difficult it was to cut a piece of plywood.

Doh!!!!!!:eek: Never did that before or since. Just on that first cut.

Tom Bender
02-12-2021, 6:29 AM
Hi Bob
Congrats on the new shop. Can you share pics?

Ole Anderson
02-12-2021, 8:35 AM
My first cut was on my dad's Dewalt RAS when I was probably 14. Then I got my own Monkey Wards RAS when I got my first house, but when I got my 3 hp G1023, that was special. Using it to this day.

Mike Kees
02-12-2021, 9:32 AM
I thought you guys were going to say "the first was the deepest"....:D

Jim Becker
02-12-2021, 9:46 AM
I thought you guys were going to say "the first was the deepest"....:D

https://snz04pap002files.storage.live.com/y4menGL8Gbqkm6k9aLKWfQH244gmT1IR37lqS3ECYFeJZcBR2p FFcM0N7Bje4I60aWFSfOIAgKKj3wbLGcvrO_C2B6IOv-VLRLriiic6RMxLkJEDsInx9-NFWrguytyufTqt6SfFIsrh7RlK6CRH2q9IxNVJbT8KEMGsMb8b qH3T6BAVGqNeoGJH0s8X_AfYR98?width=408&height=479&cropmode=none