PDA

View Full Version : Plane refurbishment

Jay Knoll
12-10-2004, 1:53 PM
Hi

Well, after my woodworking class I wanted to learn to use a jointer plane, but couldn't quite see going the L-N route. Found a Stanley Bedrock 608 on Ebay.

Todd Burch mentioned Mike_In_Katy as a guy who refinishes planes. So I sent the ebay purchase along with my grandfather's old Stanley 5.

Here they are racing across my carpet. Mike is a super guy to do business with, I am very happy with the final result.

Jay

Mark Singer
12-10-2004, 2:05 PM
Look great! Enjoy them...

Alan Turner
12-10-2004, 3:02 PM
I have the 607, and based upon that, am sure that the 608 will do you well.
Those fellows look great. Lap and hone, and you are on your way.
Alan

Mark Stutz
12-10-2004, 9:34 PM
These look fantastic! Let's see the shavings! :D

Corvin Alstot
12-11-2004, 12:38 AM
I have a few planes in need of a new paint job, plus I live close to Katy. Guess I might have to look Mike up.
Good job they look great.

Tyler Howell
12-11-2004, 1:38 PM
Looking good Jay.

I've been looking at the posts and visited Mikes sight. He does some real nice work!!!
I'm not sure I want my Rust Hunting trophies to glimmer like new. There is a lot of character in all these nicks and gouges. Found the name of a previous owner scratched into the surface of the fist treasure I found. 3 years ago when I was giving consideration to learning the knuckle draggers ways I dug it out of a corner at a flea market. I'm afraid if you cover up all that character, the spirit , experience, adventure and energy that has been building up over the last 120 years will be covered as well.
Part of the rights of passage are to get this gunk all over my hands and breath in some of the oxidation that has built up over the years. I have to walk this path before the tools will be mine.

Jay Knoll
12-11-2004, 3:59 PM
Tyler, I understand what you mean about old tools, I just used an Xacto knife from a set my parents gave me for Christmas when I was in 7th grade. The blades have been replaced of course, but the box and handles remain together.

On the other hand, I think that all tools should be kept as clean and tuned up as possible. It makes them safer to use and I think it repects the heritage of the prior owners.

The tip of the tote (I think that is the back handle on the plane) on my Grandfather's plane was broken. Mike glued a new piece on, the work is fantastic, you can hardly see the line and only notice that the wood is slightly different under a very bright light. So it is still my Gramp's plane, but I guess it had the equivalent of a knee replacement.

The sides and bottoms, while having been cleaned, still have use marks on them, as it should be.

So, I had them polished them up a bit, now I'm going to have to make them mine by scratching them up (only a little I hope :) )

Now I'm going to have to get in the shop and lap and hone, but there are other conflicting demands on my time -- Xmas of course, and I want to finish the workbench I started several weeks ago. Haven't had anytime to get in there for the past several weeks .

Jay

Terry Hatfield
12-11-2004, 8:27 PM
Jay,

Beautimus!!!!!!!!!! They look new!!! Mike did a great job on them.

Terry

Louis Bois
12-11-2004, 8:57 PM
Hi Terry,

I'm not a big fan of refurbishing old planes unless they're beyond use...but even I have to admit that Mike did an amazing job on those two!!! Enjoy using them...but most importantly, feel the connection to the past...

Terry Hatfield
12-11-2004, 9:19 PM
Hi Terry,

I'm not a big fan of refurbishing old planes unless they're beyond use...but even I have to admit that Mike did an amazing job on those two!!! Enjoy using them...but most importantly, feel the connection to the past...

Louis,

I understand your train of thought. I used to have the old car disease/hobby. Restored planes are like restored cars to me...I love both as long as I can still use them. To me, having a user plane restored is a way of honoring the tool and the craftsman that previously owned/used it. I get that same "vibe" from Jay's post.

t