PDA

View Full Version : Veneering question

Michael Simpson Virgina
08-15-2010, 11:55 PM
I just did 4 12"x15" panels of wallnut veneer. Overall they turned out very well however on two of them the backside of the wall nut has lines that seem to corispond to the kerf lines in my platen.

The side with the lines seem to be te side that was against the platen but only the kerf running with the grain shown through.

I do use a vinal screen mesh as well as a plastic sheet on both sides of the piece.

I am vacum clamping for about an hour. Should I flip the piece after a period of time? Also I dont know why it did not happen on two of the pieces.

It did not ruin the project as this is the hidden side but I need to know why this is happening. FYI this is my first attempt at veneering so I have no doubt that I am probably doing something wrong.

Darnell Hagen
08-16-2010, 2:10 AM
Ya, that vaccuum will pull the veneer into the kerfs. A buddy of mine has often talked about experimenting with different designs cut into the platen for effect.

Use a piece of MDF between the platen and the plastic covered veneer, or only veneer on the top. After the glue has set up, flip the substrate and veneer the other side.

Jay Jolliffe
08-16-2010, 6:09 AM
When I do my panels I have the kerf platen on the bottom then a plastic covered piece of MDF then the panel being veneered then another piece of MDF with plastic. I don't lay the panel on the kerf platen.

Frank Drew
08-16-2010, 8:14 AM
I don't lay the panel on the kerf platen. Me, neither. Even just a piece of 1/8-1/4" masonite will give your panel the protection it needs.

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I always, use cauls on both sides. Anything from 1/8" masonite to 3/4" mdf. Whatever scrap I have lying around.

Michael Simpson Virgina
08-18-2010, 4:12 AM
Thanks, I will give it a try next time.