PDA

View Full Version : "A Lot To Be Desired"

Roger Chandler
08-15-2010, 11:09 PM
This was my first attempt at a hollow form, back in May 2010. I consider it a failure....... because the walls are way too thick [I only had a Sorby Hollowmaster, and never used it before]

The finial is too fat, and my wife did not like it at all :( and I think that the form is one that was too complex for my first attempt, but then you live and learn......so because of all these issues, I christened it "A lot to be desired" because it certainly left a lot to be desired! :o

Walnut with a cherry top and walnut finial [if that is what one would call a monstrosity like this one :D]

James Combs
08-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Personally I think it was a good effort. It would sell at a craft show. Try it you'll see.

gary Zimmel
08-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Your one hollow form up on me Roger so I am giving it a thumbs up....

Richard Madden
08-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Hey, live and learn. I think it's darn good for your first. You've already pointed out a few things you will no doubt change on your next one. You ought to see my first attempt...on second thought, no you shouldn't.:eek:

John Keeton
08-16-2010, 7:38 AM
Roger, there must be a first regardless of what one attempts. In fact, the more I do with this turning, the more I realize how little I know!! One can watch all the videos, study the pics, read until it all runs together - but, in the end, one learns most by "doing." And, you learned a lot with this one, so in that light, it is a success story!!

You already perceive the design changes that could be made, but I would offer a couple of other comments. Cherry and walnut may look good together today, but in three years most would say they clash in color. And, the pith, or a knot, is running through the top of the form. That could cause movement down the road, and for a lidded piece, that isn't good.

Roger Chandler
08-16-2010, 7:52 AM
Roger, there must be a first regardless of what one attempts. In fact, the more I do with this turning, the more I realize how little I know!! One can watch all the videos, study the pics, read until it all runs together - but, in the end, one learns most by "doing." And, you learned a lot with this one, so in that light, it is a success story!!

You already perceive the design changes that could be made, but I would offer a couple of other comments. Cherry and walnut may look good together today, but in three years most would say they clash in color. And, the pith, or a knot, is running through the top of the form. That could cause movement down the road, and for a lidded piece, that isn't good.

Thanks John,

I come on this forum, and see all the nice HF's being shown here, and being a novice with ZERO experience [in HF's] and only having a tool that I picked up 2 years earlier [but had never used] I think, "I'm going to give that a try" and I had never watched a hollowing video either..........well....

It was an exercise in frustration, and I used what woods I had on hand with this first experiment in HF's. I don't think the black walnut and the cherry are very good together either, and I did not have any other wood to use for a finial, so ............like I said, it left a "lot to be desired."

Josh Bowman
08-16-2010, 9:49 AM
I wish that was my first! I'd be very proud to display it.

David Woodruff
08-16-2010, 10:20 AM
We all start at the same place, square one. Be sure and keep the piece and you will look back at it one day and smile.

Tom Sherman
08-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Roger it is a pleasing shape and although you didn't get the walls as thin as you would have liked it is hollow, and your finial while not up to your expectations is still a well formed finial. All round nice work.

Roger Chandler
08-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Roger it is a pleasing shape and although you didn't get the walls as thin as you would have liked it is hollow, and your finial while not up to your expectations is still a well formed finial. All round nice work.

Thanks Tom,

The outside shape of this form turned out well, I thought, but that was my first finial and hollow form, and the shape of this form did not lend itself to getting the far reaches of the wing areas thin [at least with the tool I had]

Looking back, I think I was too ambitious with the lack of hollowing experience and the one tool, that I had, which I most likely did not use to its fullest potential anyway, so there, it did not turn out like one somebody with a lot of forms under their belts would have achieved, but overall, maybe I am a bit too hard on myself...........at least that is what others have told me ........repeatedly ;):D

We are all our own worst critics, for the most part, but I really have this thing for "Excellence" and when I don't reach it in my own estimation, it grates on me!!!

Paul Douglass
08-16-2010, 11:25 AM
I haven't even got brave enough to try one. When I do, I'll be very happy if it comes out that good. I think the finial is too big and you could turn it some more but other than that...

Will the cherry wood turn darker even thought it has a finish and not setting in the sun?

Prashun Patel
08-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Be proud. I'm way behind you and wish I could do something like this. Your work is always an inspiration for someone - even if just for lessons learned.

As Steven Wright said in Resevoir Dogs: "Keep on...truckin'."

Roger Chandler
08-16-2010, 11:32 AM
I haven't even got brave enough to try one. When I do, I'll be very happy if it comes out that good. I think the finial is too big and you could turn it some more but other than that...

Will the cherry wood turn darker even thought it has a finish and not setting in the sun?

Paul,

Cherry will darken with room light [especially with florescant's] I did not glue the tenon on the finial, so my choice would be just to turn a new one, except, I am done with this piece, and will chalk it up as a reminder to "do it better next time!" :D;):rolleyes:

Roger Chandler
08-16-2010, 2:34 PM
Be proud. I'm way behind you and wish I could do something like this. Your work is always an inspiration for someone - even if just for lessons learned.

As Steven Wright said in Resevoir Dogs: "Keep on...truckin'."

Prashun,

Thank you very much! Saying someone gives you inspiration is one of the nicest things one could say of another.......I appreciate your comment, even if it is just lessons learned [the ones to avoid :eek::D:)]

Tony De Masi
08-16-2010, 3:04 PM
Roger, ok, so you've learned some lessons here. Did your first standard bowl come out perfect? I know mine didn't and neither did my 20th. Also, is there a standard thickness to HF's? I would say no, just as there is no standard thickness to bowls. But as I first I would certainly keep it around, no question.

Tony

Roger Chandler
08-16-2010, 8:05 PM
Roger, ok, so you've learned some lessons here. Did your first standard bowl come out perfect? I know mine didn't and neither did my 20th. Also, is there a standard thickness to HF's? I would say no, just as there is no standard thickness to bowls. But as I first I would certainly keep it around, no question.

Tony

Hi Tony, good to hear from you ........"you can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig!" I had high expectations of that HF, even though it was my first, and I was disappointed with the outcome. Yes I have learned some lessons, and gotten some Ellsworth hollowing tools, and will probably in the near future get the Monster articulated system.

I always am my own worst critic......I could have done this, and I should have done that, instead; ........you know the drill. I have this thing about Excellence, and when I don't achieve it, it just grates on me! :mad:

I know I was not born with a bowl gouge in my hand or a hollowing tool for that matter, and I know there is a learning curve with this turning thing, so I guess I need to ease up on my expectations, and understand in some areas I still have a lot to learn.

I am not in any way into self-flagellation, so I guess I need to take the encouragement from those who maybe see some promise in me..............I have had numerous folks tell me that I am too hard on myself! :o

David E Keller
08-16-2010, 8:06 PM
I'm glad you posted it. Is it the prettiest HF ever? Maybe not, but it is a Hf, and it's a really good start. I agree that you were really handicapped with the tooling. It looks like you've got the basics down. Now it's just a matter of refining. Isn't that really what turning is all about? You learn some basic tool techniques and then refine your pieces through practice and experimentation. You are to be commended for showing it, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Roger Chandler
08-16-2010, 8:10 PM
I'm glad you posted it. Is it the prettiest HF ever? Maybe not, but it is a Hf, and it's a really good start. I agree that you were really handicapped with the tooling. It looks like you've got the basics down. Now it's just a matter of refining. Isn't that really what turning is all about? You learn some basic tool techniques and then refine your pieces through practice and experimentation. You are to be commended for showing it, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Thanks David,

By the way, I posted a question for you on the other thread of mine "Warped cherry bowl" take a look & get back on that thread :D

Bernie Weishapl
08-16-2010, 10:16 PM
To me nothing is a failure unless it explodes. The HF may not be to your liking but from what you said you learned something and that is what counts in my book.

Roger Chandler
08-16-2010, 10:22 PM
To me nothing is a failure unless it explodes. The HF may not be to your liking but from what you said you learned something and that is what counts in my book.

Bernie,

I'll accept that bit of wisdom from you and the others who have tried to get me to see your point as well............thanks! I really still have a lot to learn, and it looks as if learning turning is most likely something never mastered as I am sure that there are always new horizons opening up before us.....

I just want to get really good! Fast! :D:D:cool: