PDA

View Full Version : Warped cherry bowl

Roger Chandler
08-15-2010, 10:48 PM
A fairly large cherry bowl........the second I turned on my Grizzly G0698. The size is 11 inches wide, by 4-1/2 deep. I did not like the foot on this one, as I thought it was a bit large, and the cherry warped ......wood was not dry, but my Mother really liked it, so now she owns it....

Steve Schlumpf
08-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Roger - nothing wrong with that bowl! A little warp gives it character! Bet your Mom loves it!

David E Keller
08-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Nicel done. Nothing wrong with a little warp on a nice utility bowl... I think it makes them more likely to get used.

John Keeton
08-16-2010, 6:40 AM
Roger, cherry is such a beautiful wood, and as it mellows this bowl will take on a wonderful character. Like you, I prefer to not have bowls warp, but the reality is most do to some degree. The exceptions are those few I have turned from bone dry wood. Your mom will cherish this one! Nice work!

Josh Bowman
08-16-2010, 10:03 AM
A fairly large cherry bowl........the second I turned on my Grizzly G0698. The size is 11 inches wide, by 4-1/2 deep. I did not like the foot on this one, as I thought it was a bit large, and the cherry warped ......wood was not dry, but my Mother really liked it, so now she owns it....

Roger, here's what I think your post should say:
"A fairly large cherry bowl........the second I turned on my Grizzly G0698. The size is 11 inches wide, by 4-1/2 deep. I made the foot a bit large to add dimension, and warped the cherry to add interest ......the process required that the wood not to be dry, but my Mother really liked it, so now she owns it."
Absolutly no excuses for this one. I like it. I have some pictures in some of my books of warped bowls and they make the veiwer ask how did that get turned like that. They are very interesting.

Roger Chandler
08-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Roger, here's what I think your post should say:
"A fairly large cherry bowl........the second I turned on my Grizzly G0698. The size is 11 inches wide, by 4-1/2 deep. I made the foot a bit large to add dimension, and warped the cherry to add interest ......the process required that the wood not to be dry, but my Mother really liked it, so now she owns it."
Absolutly no excuses for this one. I like it. I have some pictures in some of my books of warped bowls and they make the veiwer ask how did that get turned like that. They are very interesting.

Thanks Josh,

I guess I am just someone who has an eye for symetry.........and when something starts out to be really nice as it comes off the lathe, then warping just seems to distort the work I have done...........but alas, that is indeed the nature of wood, because it moves...........:(:D

I guess when I get the space and the ability to do wood storage and DNA soaks and whatever else is needed, then I might learn to conquer these distortions!

Josh Bowman
08-16-2010, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=Roger Chandler;1491406]Thanks Josh,

I guess I am just someone who has an eye for symetry.........and when something starts out to be really nice as it comes off the lathe, then warping just seems to distort the work I have done...........but alas, that is indeed the nature of wood, because it moves...........:(:D
QUOTE]
Get-cha some of this for symmetry. This is where I want to go!

Roger Chandler
08-16-2010, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=Roger Chandler;1491406]Thanks Josh,

QUOTE]
Get-cha some of this for symmetry. This is where I want to go!

Wow Josh!

Those are really pretty! Maybe I am looking at this warped thing backwards! Do people actually want warped turnings? :confused: I have heard of such, but did not put much stock in it, but I usually just give away my turnings, and have not sold anything to date.

I thought that I might someday, when I get to retirement, but that is still more than a dozen years from now.

I really like these you have shown, and maybe the "really thin & warped" is the new genre that I was unaware of!

Thanks for sharing........I appreciate it! :)

Roger Chandler
08-16-2010, 2:55 PM
Nicel done. Nothing wrong with a little warp on a nice utility bowl... I think it makes them more likely to get used.

Thank you David!

I have to ask...........what is up with the new avatar? I was not on the forum much last week, and I come back and find your ........ well, in the famous words of a wascilly wabbit.....................

eh, Whats up doc? :D:confused:;):):rolleyes:

additional: Did professor Hart do this to you?

Tony De Masi
08-16-2010, 2:59 PM
Nicely done Roger along with cherry being one of my favorites to turn also. Nothing at all wrong with a bit of warping, just call it movement, it sounds a bit better.:D

Tony

Roger Chandler
08-16-2010, 8:07 PM
Nicely done Roger along with cherry being one of my favorites to turn also. Nothing at all wrong with a bit of warping, just call it movement, it sounds a bit better.:D

Tony

Thanks for the encouragement Tony! ;):)

David E Keller
08-16-2010, 8:15 PM
Thank you David!

I have to ask...........what is up with the new avatar? I was not on the forum much last week, and I come back and find your ........ well, in the famous words of a wascilly wabbit.....................

eh, Whats up doc? :D:confused:;):):rolleyes:

additional: Did professor Hart do this to you?

The photo was my wife's idea. We went to a friend's 50th b-day party that had a 'pimps and hos' theme, and what you see is my costume for the party.

Hart? Where do you think I got the suit?

Roger Chandler
08-16-2010, 8:19 PM
The photo was my wife's idea. We went to a friend's 50th b-day party that had a 'pimps and hos' theme, and what you see is my costume for the party.

Hart? Where do you think I got the suit?

Hey Bro, just go get down wich yo' bad self!:D

Bernie Weishapl
08-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Nothing wrong with that one. Warped can be good. Nicely done.

Roger Chandler
08-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Nothing wrong with that one. Warped can be good. Nicely done.

Bernie,

Thanks.........do many of your turnings warp? I don't have but very little room for storage, and then I need to learn to do the DNA soak thing, but don't have an appropriate area for drying.

My wood supply is kept outdoors, not the best of situations for someone who wants to have his projects turn out well :(