PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Pod Hollow Form

Gary Conklin
08-15-2010, 9:45 PM
This is a small piece out of Monkey Pod it was something a bit different for me. Not sure I pulled of the execution as well as I had hoped.

Finished in Shellac, and buffed. 4"x4"at top of copper handle. C&C's welcomed.

http://sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=258&pictureid=3772

John Keeton
08-15-2010, 9:47 PM
Gary, I have never turned Monkey Pod, but it sure is a beautiful wood! Great color, and you achieved a very smooth curve with this one. Very interesting copper top - would be nice to have another view.

I think you did well!

charlie knighton
08-15-2010, 9:55 PM
very nice, i have not seen very much of it turned, anybody else got some?

Steve Schlumpf
08-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Wow - really cool wood! Center section reminds me of some of the Black Palm some of the guys have been turning! Not 100% sold on the copper handle but it's growing on me!

David E Keller
08-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Very creative. I like the main form , but I'd do away with the foot. I like the idea of the copper top. I'm looking forward to seeing where this leads you in the future.

I've turned one bowl from monkey pod... It's pretty stuff. It reminds me a little of koa. If you're willing to give up your source, I'd love to know where you got it.

Sean Hughto
08-15-2010, 10:51 PM
I like the general shape of the vessel very much.

I hope you were serious about constructive criticism. Because you asked, I would say that I think it would be better without the foot. While I like the idea of the copper, the black part looks sort of rough. I think its disk like shape sort of clashes with the curves of the vessel - it reminds me too much of the shape of screw of cap atop a bottle. All that said, the most important person to please is yourself.

The vessel really is beautiful.

Josh Bowman
08-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Gary, that's very beautiful. You need one of those fancy display stands with spot lights above it to show it off.:D

Tom Sherman
08-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Gary a nice form with great wood. I like the idea of the Copper on the top, but the top base needs a bit more work.

Gary Conklin
08-17-2010, 3:37 PM
I like the general shape of the vessel very much.

I hope you were serious about constructive criticism. Because you asked, I would say that I think it would be better without the foot. While I like the idea of the copper, the black part looks sort of rough. I think its disk like shape sort of clashes with the curves of the vessel - it reminds me too much of the shape of screw of cap atop a bottle. All that said, the most important person to please is yourself.

The vessel really is beautiful.

Sean, I was serious. Like I said. I think I missed something in the execution. The foot well lets not get into that more than to say, w/o it I turned a funnel. LOL
I will continue to play around with the mixed media as I have a few more ideas floating in my ole noggin. Including a collaborative piece with a scroller I know.

Chris Haas
08-17-2010, 4:10 PM
so, did the monkey pod make your throat itch while sanding? i have a bunch of it and that is the worst part of turning it for me, i have to wear a dust mask. hf looks good, if you leave some of the sapwood on, remember it yellows real bad when you finish it. good luck

Karl Card
08-17-2010, 4:54 PM
very nice.

I also have monkey pod... but mine is in the size of pen blanks...

You guys gotta get to the island more often... lol