PDA

View Full Version : New Guy, needs advice on bandsaws

John Bailey
12-10-2004, 1:50 PM
Hi all! New to this site and new to serious woodworking. I'm building a shop. It will be small at 20x14, but much bigger than my old basement 12x12 that I had in the past. In the past the only woodworking machine I had was a radial arm saw. Now I'll have room for more equipment and plan to buy a bandsaw first. I will be doing mostly smaller work, with some resawing. I'm planning on a 14" saw. I would like to get the best saw for under $800. I need advice. One weird and personal requirement is that I like the color green.

Scott Parks
12-10-2004, 1:57 PM
Welcome, John,

Do a search here for a Grizzly G0555. There are a lot of favorable reviews here for that saw... You will find a lot of info from other users here.

nic obie
12-10-2004, 2:00 PM
Hahahahahahhahahaa

We will need a little more info in order to help you with your decision.

Which green is it that you like:

Grizzly green
General green
Woodteck green?

;)

Kent Cori
12-10-2004, 2:02 PM
John,

First, welcome to the Creek. We're always happy to have another fellow woodworker to wade around with us.

As for a 14" BS, many of us have the Griz 0555 in your favorite color. I've had mine about a year now and bought it with the riser kit. This saw currently sells for $375 plus $55 shipping. The riser kit is another $50. At a $480 total, it is well within your budget.

I have been extremely pleased with the saw. It comes with a good fence and mini-miter guage both of which I use often. I bought a selection of Timberwolf blades and they give great cuts.

I did add an Iturra spring ($15) to replace the wimpy one supplied with the saw. This was a very worth while addition. The new spring makes this saw really sing! :) As long as I was at it, I also added on of their wheel brushes ($5.50) and it too has served me well. Iturra will send you a catalog chock full of great technical information along with their products if you give them a call at 888-722-7078. Unfortunately, they don't have a web site.

I think you would really like this saw and it is a dynamite buy for the money. :D

John Bailey
12-10-2004, 2:27 PM
Hey Nic,

I like both the Grizzly green and General(International) green. I haven't seen the Woodteck green - I'll have to check it out. Are there any other "greens" out there in my price range. One thing I was wondering, is the General International 90-125 worth the extra money.

Jim Becker
12-10-2004, 2:44 PM
Consider the G0513 from Grizzly or similar as an alternative to the typical 14" saw...about in your price range and a lot more capablity for resawing in about the same space.

BTW, welcome to the Creek!

Maurice Ungaro
12-10-2004, 2:57 PM
Rikons are green.

Maurice

Michael Perata
12-10-2004, 3:10 PM
Of course there is always the Felder (ACM) green but the entry point is a tad north of $800.

Lloyd Frisbee
12-10-2004, 3:26 PM
Harbor Freight's is green too. :D

Ted Shrader
12-10-2004, 3:39 PM
Hi John -

Welcome to the Creek. Lots of folks here that are gald to share their experiences.

Congrats on moving up with ths shop space. You will get plaenty of goos recommendations on bandsaws. Don't forget you make also see a good deal in some other color than green . . . . and there is always spray paint. :) :)

Welcome,
Ted

Bill Arnold
12-10-2004, 4:00 PM
I'm planning on a 14" saw. I would like to get the best saw for under $800.
John,

Welcome to the Forum!

Like others have said, take a look at the Grizzly G0513 17" bandsaw. It is $750 plus $78 freight, so is in your range. I recently purchased one and have been very pleased with it. I got it for its 12" resaw capacity and 2hp motor. It's a rugged machine that I expect to last a long time.

Don't get your blades from Grizzly, though. Get Timberwolf blades from Suffolk Machinery: http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/default.asp

Regards,

Tyler Howell
12-10-2004, 4:02 PM
Welcome to the creek
PM Gold and Jet Tan both clash with my aura but they have given wonderful service.
With a riser block, Carter guides, an Inturra Spinner3 (tensioning wheel) and a segmented belt. The Jet 14" is well with in your price limit and I haven't out grown the 14" size in 4 years.

John Bailey
12-10-2004, 4:27 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I considered a larger saw, like the 513, but, from the reading I've done, they don't handle the smaller blades as well. Since most of my work will be smaller work, I've decided to get the best 14" that I can afford. At this point, it would appear the Grizzly 555 is a good value. I don't mind spending more if the value is there, that's why the question of worth of the General International. Also, I've had some back problems and the higher work table on most of the 14" bandsaws seem more appropriate to keep my back happy.

John

Brian Hale
12-10-2004, 4:44 PM
Welcome to the creek John!

Where are you located? Have you looked at the Bridgewood from Wilke machinery?

Brian

John Bailey
12-10-2004, 6:22 PM
Brian,

I've seen the Bridgewood on the net. How does it compare to the Grizzly? It seems like it is more expensive. My question would be is the cost worth it.

John

Brian Hale
12-10-2004, 9:26 PM
Bridgewood machines are very good IMHO (i own 4) but the nod goes to Grizzly most of the time due to shipping. Thats why i asked where you are located, if your near York Pa. it's worth checking them out.

Amercian woodworker magazine recently did a nice comparison of most every saw out there. (October 2004 ) and the Griz G0555 was rated best buy.

What they didn't like about the Griz was the short arm of the quick release lever and that it didn't completly release the tension on the blade. Also the tensioning spring was almost completly compressed at the 1/2" mark.

As for the Bridgewood, they didn't like the 8" resaw capacity and no riser block available; and the guides don't support wide blades as well as some others.

The guides on both saws were easy to adjust and both saws had enough power for resawing. The Bridgewood has a welded steel frame which they like better the the cast frame on the Grizz (more rigid). Both have the same size table but the Griz is a touch more rigid. The Bridgewood has a much better frame to base connection rated 4 out of 4 where the Griz got a 1 out of 4 rating

All of the above is from the American Woodworker article and i have no experience with either machine.

Both companies have good service reputations. Wilke is a smaller family owned company and is more personable IMHO.

Brian

Jim Andrew
12-11-2004, 1:07 AM
Does anyone on the forum have a Rikon? I have been reading old posts
about bandsaws and someone suggested the rikon as a reasonable priced
unit. Wondered what you find under the table? The specs sound good
otherwise, and it is $999. picked up at the freight co. They also have
a 14" for $429. Jim A

Bill Arnold
12-11-2004, 6:17 AM
I considered a larger saw, like the 513, but, from the reading I've done, they don't handle the smaller blades as well.
I've used 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" blades on my G0513 without any issues. Where did you read about problems with smaller blades on this machine? I'd like to check out what they said.

Regards,

Ken Fitzgerald
12-11-2004, 8:38 AM
John.....Welcome to the 'Creek! Lots of neat people here always willing to exchange ideas. Beware the afore posting Tyler and Chris Padilla! They have established themselves as the dreaded "Photo Cops"! When you purchase your new b/s photos will be required or these two guys will hound you! :rolleyes: :D Again....Welcome!

John Bush
12-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Good moring All,
Jim, I have had the Rikoln 18 for 2 months now and have found it to be an excellent value. Very solid machine with lots of power-$999 to the shop floor. I'm very pleased and recommend it highly. Good Luck; John

Dave Carey
12-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Just a reminder - if you're thinking Grizzly green their prices go up in Jan. I'm sure the G0555 will still be under your price limit but why spend more than you have to.

John Bailey
12-11-2004, 12:34 PM
Bill,

The October and November issues of American Woodworker have articles about bandsaws. That's where I read that the larger saws have trouble keeping the smaller blades adjusted on the wheels. I'm new to this and if that is an overstatment, I would be glad to know. At this point, I could go a little bigger than the 14" saw, and I could spend a bit more money. However, it would seem that a 14" is going to do everything I would ask of a bandsaw.

Bill Arnold
12-12-2004, 6:12 AM
The October and November issues of American Woodworker have articles about bandsaws. ... At this point, I could go a little bigger than the 14" saw, and I could spend a bit more money. However, it would seem that a 14" is going to do everything I would ask of a bandsaw.
I'm with you on getting what you need and saving some of the funds for something else. In my case, I wanted the taller resaw capability (12") that the G0513 offers. Some of the 14" bandsaws have riser blocks that can be added to increase resaw capacity to 12" as well, but you still have a smaller motor. If you are sure you won't need the resaw capacity, then you'd be right with the 14" saw and save some bucks. My old bandsaw was a Craftsman 12" that did 90% of what I needed, but resaw was limited to 6".

Regards,

John Bailey
12-12-2004, 7:56 AM
Bill,

Whatever saw I get, I will get the riser blocks for the occasional resaw job. I've been told the 1 hp. is enough as long as one takes his time. I'm a patient kind of guy, so, I don't think that would be a problem. I'm leaning towards the General International 90-125 presently. It has a bigger worktable and weighs about 60lbs. more. Should be be more stable. I would like comments about the General International if anyone has had one.

John

Jim Kountz
12-12-2004, 12:06 PM
John, Im curious to know where you read that the G0513 doesnt do smaller blades well? The only reason I ask is because this is in contrast to my experience with this saw. A good woodworking buddy of mine has one and uses a 1/8 and 1/4" blade on is often and he's never had any trouble that Im aware of. Can you point me to the article or review you read on this?

Thanks!

Jim

John Bailey
12-12-2004, 6:06 PM
Jim,

The October and November issues of American Woodworker has two articles about bandsaws. They say the larger saws don't handle small blades as well. A good reason to post this kind of questions to a forum is to get the real scoop from those who use them. If the consensus is that the Grizzly GO513 handles a 1/8 inch blade well, I would probably opt for that model. I make mountain dulcimers, kayaks, and other small boats. So far I've done this type of work with a jigsaw. A band saw will be a great improvement. 90% of the time it will have a 1/8 inch blade on it. There will be times I will want to resaw, but very little. There may even be times I'll want to cut boards from some of the cedar I have on my property. From what I've learned, the 14" Grizzly or 14" General International would serve my purpose very well for most of my work, and with care and patience, I will be able to resaw also. I'm still waiting to hear from someone who has the General International 90-125. Hope to get some good info.

Rob Russell
12-12-2004, 8:46 PM
John,

Welcome to the Creek!

Given what I've seen in the thread, I'd suggest looking for a good used, older, 20" Powermatic bandsaw. You'll have power, resaw - and it's a nice green. Keep your eyes out and you'll hit one for the $800 price you've set.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57124&item=3859625429&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Rob

Jim Kountz
12-12-2004, 11:59 PM
John, After reading your last post it seems that the G0513 may be a bit overkill for your application. Maybe the smaller 14" models would be better for you after all. I'll have to check out that article you told me about. I was talking to my buddy just a while ago and asked him about the smaller blades on the G0513 and he assured me he's had no trouble at all. However he also said he only used the 1/8" blade three or four times for a couple of special projects. I know he subjects his saw to some fairly heavy resawing where it really excels according to him. He said slicing 10-11" stock into 3/32 veneer is not a problem. He went on to say that the machine did require some messing around when he first got it to tune it well. After that, smooth sailing! Hope this helps you out somewhat.

Jim

Bill Arnold
12-13-2004, 6:31 AM
I was talking to my buddy just a while ago and asked him about the smaller blades on the G0513 and he assured me he's had no trouble at all. ... He said slicing 10-11" stock into 3/32 veneer is not a problem.
Jim
Jim,

What blade does your buddy use for resawing? I've been using a Timberwolf 3/4", 3AS-S which is designed for resaw but it seems to leave the stock a bit rougher than I had hoped.

Regards,

Jim Becker
12-13-2004, 8:54 AM
While there are a number of things that affect how well narrow blades work on a larger saw, the primary one has to do with the guides...can you adjust them to properly support the blade and are they of a design that can damage the blade. Since Cool Blocks or the equivalent are available for most saws, the latter issue can be dealt with. (Exactly what I did to accomodate 1/8" blades on my MM16) Cool Blocks can completely encase the blade without damaging the teeth, so they are almost a requirement for tracking narrow blades no matter what the saw size. (Some 14" saws can also use the special guide that Carter developed for supporting 1/8" blades for scrolling work) The other part is the thrust bearing...can it be positioned to deal with the back of the blade? In most cases, this is not an issue. Try to talk with an owner of the saw you are considering and see if they have tracked these narrow blades. Or consider picking up a smaller used bandsaw for scrolling work and leave the big one for the beefy jobs! (If I had the space, I would have kept my 14" Jet when I brought the MM16 home just for convenience)

Jim Kountz
12-15-2004, 4:57 PM
Bill, Im pretty sure he uses the Timberwolf blades too. I know he had a couple of those carbide Lenox blades from Grizzly if I recall. I was just looking at the catalog and the G0513 can take up to a 1" blade, maybe the extra 1/4" would be stable enough to smooth the cuts somewhat?? Just a guess.

Scott Coffelt
12-15-2004, 5:07 PM
JOhn you might check out the G0513 with shipping it will put you over, but there is no better saw in the price range. It will handle up to 12" resaw.

Byron Trantham
12-15-2004, 8:54 PM
John, welcome to the creek. I own a Jet 14" and have found it does what I need to do. I don't envy you, buying a bandsaw is a difficult proposition. Good luck.