PDA

View Full Version : vacum adapter?

chris ormsby
08-15-2010, 9:38 PM
I currently have several bowls that are ready to be finish turned and tenons removed. I have a 25-200 general international lathe and a vacum pump. I have not been able to find an adapter for my machine. Any help would be great. Thanks Chris

Steve Schlumpf
08-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Chris - I would contact Tom Steyer at JT Turning Tools and see if he can help you out: http://www.jtturningtools.com/vacuum-adapters

Josh Bowman
08-16-2010, 7:08 AM
EBay ID 200507204288, might interest you. You're limited to the size of chuck. But if it fits your need, it's got it all. Just plug tubing up to the tube. I have no connection with the seller and was just looking when I found it. Good luck
Josh

Harvey Schneider
08-16-2010, 10:50 PM
I wasn't willing to spend big bucks for a ready made one for my Jet 1642, so I turned one out of Maple with O-ring seals on the outside and a sealed bearing with a barbed fitting epoxied into it.
Sorry I don't have a picture handy. It works well, My pump can draw 20 inHg with it, 25 inHg dead headed.
The red disk of plumbers gasket is not glued it reduces the leakage through the "sealed" bearing.
The total cost was about $10!
This was so easy to make that I don't know why I would spend more.

Update:
I grabbed my camera this morning and took some pictures of my adapter. This was designed specifically for the Jet 1642. You will need to adjust the design to suit your lathe.

Chris Haas
08-17-2010, 4:07 PM
+1 on harveys, i made one out of laminated corian for my jet 1642 back when i had one. will soon be making a new one for my general 26020.

Roger Chandler
08-17-2010, 4:12 PM
Harvey,

That is really innovative and a great way to do a vacuum adapter. You have certainly given me some ideas here, but it would be right after I bought a Hold Fast system for my Grizzly G0698 :D oh well...timing is everything! ;)