PDA

View Full Version : 1st hollowform using monster +nichols steady

patrick michael stein
08-15-2010, 7:31 PM
hi all,

form is 9inches by 6inches its spalted maple the shoulder is textured.I have not put a finish on yet or signiture .this peace is about 1/4 inch thick.

comments welcome critque also welcome.

thanks patrick

Bernie Weishapl
08-15-2010, 7:46 PM
Really nice HF. Wood looks really good. Nice setup with hollowing rig and Steady. The only thing I would have did different and it's just me would have been to make the bottom smaller. Great first HF.

patrick michael stein
08-15-2010, 8:21 PM
thanks bernie

patrick

David E Keller
08-15-2010, 8:24 PM
Nice set up... It looks just like mine!:D Nice turning as well.

I agree with Bernie about the foot, but that's just a matter of preference. Are you going to highlight the texturing? I'm just thinking out loud here, but ebonizing it might just set it off. Of course, it might ruin the entire piece. Actually, don't listen to me... Nothing I touched today turned out as expected.:mad:

patrick michael stein
08-15-2010, 8:40 PM
thanks david,

Im not to sure about ebonizing the textured area. I have hard time with that it turns out worst for me.willwork on bottom half proportions on next form .

thanks again
patrick

Tom Sherman
08-15-2010, 8:45 PM
Excellent HF Patrick, great wood too. You've done real well for a first effort or a 100th for that matter.

John Keeton
08-15-2010, 9:13 PM
Very nice work! Like the texturing, and that maple is awesome!! Looks like spalted holly it is so white.

Thomas Canfield
08-15-2010, 9:59 PM
It looks like the monster and steady rest worked well on the mustard monster. I am needing to look at a captive hollowing rig to ease my shoulder. The Don Pencil Scorpion works fairly well, but after about 7" or so on dept it starts to wear on the shoulder.

Looking forward to seeing the finished wood. It should really jump out when the finish is applied.

Roger Chandler
08-15-2010, 10:02 PM
I really like that setup! Both the Monster and the steady are on my "to get" list..............oh well, more $$$$$$$$$$$$...........crazy vortex! :eek:

Beautiful wood, and really nice form............look forward to seeing it finished!

charlie knighton
08-15-2010, 10:03 PM
patrick, very well done

is that texturing around a bark inclusion or all texturing??/

it that is a bark inclusion, you may next time duck tape the outside of hf before hollowing

very nice

Steve Schlumpf
08-15-2010, 10:30 PM
I like it! Really good looking wood! Looking forward to seeing HF #2!

James Combs
08-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Patrick (and the rest of you guys) do you finish off the lathe. I have always done while still on the lathe. I guess it's a carry over from my pen finishing. Those are always done on the lathe at least for me.

Roger Chandler
08-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Patrick (and the rest of you guys) do you finish off the lathe. I have always done while still on the lathe. I guess it's a carry over from my pen finishing. Those are always done on the lathe at least for me.

James,

I like to finish on the lathe whenever I can...... I seem to get a more even coat of finish on when the piece is rotating. Doesn't work with every single turning, but for most round and brown things it does.

Michael James
08-15-2010, 11:00 PM
AAAwesome white with that spalting I really wanna see it finished.
As I move into these forms I have a zillion questions. How did you get the chuck tenon off? did you make a donut chuck for that??

Michelle Rich
08-16-2010, 7:51 AM
Hi patrick: a first? amazing..golly you have an amazing set up..I'm drooling. I think the form is gorgeous as she is..that rather abrupt foot is ok in my book..I've seen pottery form with that, and they are heralded as great art..so I think you are safe!!!:-) :-) beautiful wood, & terrific 1st .congrats

Josh Bowman
08-16-2010, 9:52 AM
I like it! Did you like the monster? I'm waiting on mine.......I just hope I can form a decent shape.:o I really like the grain and form.

bob svoboda
08-16-2010, 9:58 AM
Nice work Patrick. That wood is something special. I really like the shoulder and the detail around the opening.

patrick michael stein
08-16-2010, 8:55 PM
thank you all for the comments, steve hope to work on the next one soon ,have four bowls to finish first.

thanks

patrick

patrick michael stein
08-16-2010, 9:00 PM
josh yes i like it very much so much easier on the body.had worked on hollow forms with regular hollowing tools and some times they were ruff.

thanks patrick