PDA

View Full Version : Cottonwood Hollowform

Curt Fuller
08-15-2010, 1:45 PM
Ma Nature really came through on this piece of cottonwood. It has some nice chatoyance, weathered coloring, a little dab of spalting, and even some worm tracks that I left the poop in and soaked it with CA. It's the second piece I've turned with the Nyvall system hollower and I like it more each time I use it. When I was turning it I was thinking of the opening Mark Cothren did recently on a walnut HF. I didn't quite get it the way I wanted but it is what it is. And I didn't turn the opening for a lid or finial and then as an afterthought I decided to make a finial anyway. But I like it better without and besides, it doesn't matter because I broke the $%&@#* finial trying to buff it and the pics are with it just held together with some CA. It doesn't really have any way to seat a finial so it just kind of sits on the taper of the opening. It's also reversible so it could have been a finial or a knob. The bead on the finial is cocobolo and the reverse side knob is also. The rest of the finial is cottonwood. Anyway, it was a pretty piece of wood. Let me have it with your opinions.

David DeCristoforo
08-15-2010, 1:51 PM
Really fine piece, Curt. I have a "soft spot" for cottonwood being from Nevada where it grows in abundance. Rarely see any looking that good. Your form is "spot on". I personally like the finial "downside up". Somehow, the size and shape fit the form much better than the tall spire.

Steve Schlumpf
08-15-2010, 1:51 PM
Beautiful hollow form Curt! Sure is some amazing wood! Sorry about the finial but sure looks good from here!

What are the dimensions?

Michael James
08-15-2010, 1:58 PM
I got about 60#'s of cottonwood from down the street when I first thought about branching out from pens. I got no crotch wood and it's farily boring looking to me. What you have there is beautiful and done very nicely. Congrats on a nice piece. Im not a "finial man" at this point so it looks fine to me too!:cool:
michael

Leo Van Der Loo
08-15-2010, 2:01 PM
Nice piece Curt, the wood is just what one can find in the crotch and compression areas of the big poplar trees, most people look down their nose when cottenwood is offered, but it can have some amazing figured wood, as you have here and used to it's full potential, nice work and thanks for showing this mundane wood that isn't :-))))

Mark Hubl
08-15-2010, 2:05 PM
Curt, that cottonwood is beautiful. Nice form. The finial was nice, sorry about the buffer incident.:mad: I think the piece looks great with the "knob" section of the finial. I like the proportions of the shorter top on the round piece.

Richard Madden
08-15-2010, 2:18 PM
I've never seen cottonwood look that good. Great form. How is that stuff to turn? I may have a chance to get some. Was it stringy?

Pete Jordan
08-15-2010, 2:23 PM
Wow Curt!

That is one of my favorite pieces ever!

John Keeton
08-15-2010, 2:25 PM
Curt, that cottonwood has it all!! Really a beautiful piece, and I love the form. I think there was a bit of divine guidance on the finial - I think the underside looks much more approriate given the form - though, it did look to be a nice finial!!

Tom Sherman
08-15-2010, 3:02 PM
Curt this is one special piece of wood, and you have done great work to show it in such a pleasing form.

David E Keller
08-15-2010, 3:10 PM
Wow! That wood is gorgeous. I love the main form, and I really like all three presentations. I'm amazed at how my perception of the shape of the form changes based on whether it has a top or not, and it especially changes between the finial and knob. I like them all, but if pressed to pick a favorite, I'd go with the cocobolo knob.

Thanks for posting.

Paul Douglass
08-15-2010, 3:40 PM
And I thought cottonwood was junk, not even good for burning! That is a WOW piece.

charlie knighton
08-15-2010, 3:46 PM
very nice, with or without finale

gary Zimmel
08-15-2010, 3:51 PM
Beautiful piece of cottonwood.
And you have brought the best of it out. Sweet work Curt..

David Woodruff
08-15-2010, 5:22 PM
I love Cottonwood Burl. Nice to turn and a fairly hard wood due to compression and tight grain. Beautiful curl.

Trivia. I read somewhere that the largest use of straight grain Cottonwood, you know the stuff us turners would reject, is mousetraps.\
Nuff said!!!!!!!!!

Curt Fuller
08-15-2010, 7:09 PM
Thanks everyone for all the comments!

What are the dimensions?

I'm going to make you guess;);):rolleyes:

But for everyone else, it's 8" tall, just a little more than 6" dia.

thanks for showing this mundane wood that isn't :-))))

Leo, most cottonwood is mundane especially if you try to use it from a green log. I've found that the crotches are about the only part worth messing with and if it comes from a standing dead tree, bark off, and wood turned silver, it's awfully pretty wood.

I've never seen cottonwood look that good. Great form. How is that stuff to turn? I may have a chance to get some. Was it stringy?

Richard, I won't even mess with green stuff. It's very stringy. But good dry dead wood isn't bad at all.

Thanks again!

Bernie Weishapl
08-15-2010, 7:48 PM
Beautiful piece Curt. Cottonwood really does look good. I like it without the finial.

Roger Chandler
08-15-2010, 10:40 PM
A very special piece of wood to be sure........one like that doesn't come along every day!

Very nice form, and finish!

James Combs
08-15-2010, 10:55 PM
An awesome piece of wood and an awesome presentation.

Don Alexander
08-16-2010, 6:16 AM
AWESOME looking HF i like it without the finial and also like it with the knob end very nicely done !!!!!!

i somehow happened on a small piece of cottonwood burl ( 2" x 6") when i first started making pens 3-4 months ago it was wet when i got it and i tried soaking it in DNA (it was the first attempt with that method)

well it dried out ok but i was sure surprised when it shrunk up like a dried out sponge and it was a real challenge to get it drilled for pen blanks as it was all twisted up , however it was worth all the care it took because the pens i got out of it were absolutely stunning and sold almost instantly

i've been looking for more ever since unfortunately it seems to be hard to find.

if anyone knows of a good place to get some i would sure appreciate the info.

Michelle Rich
08-16-2010, 7:27 AM
The wood lovely..Mom N did her job, and you finished the work she started...just beautiful

Josh Bowman
08-16-2010, 9:55 AM
Goodness Curt! That looks like stone or something. It's one of those grain patterns you'd have to touch to see if it's real. I really like the grain. I bet it was exciting after the rough out and you stopped the lathe and saw it. The shape is wonderful.

bob svoboda
08-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Very nice form and I love the wood! Your finial is very nice, but I agree the vessel looks better without it.

David Helm
08-16-2010, 10:40 AM
I think the cottonwood that grows in Utah must be very different than what grows here in Washington. I've seen Hopi Kachina carvings from cottonwood and couldn't imagine doing that with Washington cottonwood. Here it grows very very straight, is loaded with water and dries to the consistency of styrofoam. Never ever seen cottonwood with the beauty of your form. Really nice.

steven carter
08-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Curt,
Beautiful wood and hollow form. I seem to be in the minority (not unusual), but I like it all three ways.

Steve

Rob Cunningham
08-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Real nice HF Curt, beautiful figure in the wood. I like it with the tall finial.