PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #113

Rusty Eads
08-15-2010, 1:30 PM
I am definitely not experienced with old hand planes, well any hand planes for that matter. Anyways, around where I live for the past couple of months there has been somebody on cl trying to sell a stanley #113 plane for $80. I'm not really interested in the plane but I thought it was one of the coolest planes I have ever seen. Does anybody know more about these planes? What they are worth and about when they were manufactured? I figured the neanders would be the people to go to for info about this plane. Thanks for any help in satisfying my curiousity.

Steve Beadle
08-15-2010, 1:43 PM
That's a compass plane, designed to plane both convex and concave surfaces. I looked it up in Garrett Hack's Handplane Book, p. 208. IMHO, I would think that $80 is a very fair asking price, depending, of course, upon the quality of the plane. I'd love to have one myself.

Darnell Hagen
08-15-2010, 1:44 PM
The #113 is a compass, or circular plane. It smooths and fairs inside and outside curves with a flexible sole. The price is about right, if it's in decent condition. See here (http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan12.htm) for things to watch for and a more experienced opinion.

Jim Koepke
08-15-2010, 2:44 PM
Here is a post of mine on the #113:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1230575#poststop

The link supplied by Darnell is an important place to start reading.

If the plane is not broken, it can come in handy for doing curved surfaces.

jim

Mike Davis NC
08-15-2010, 6:20 PM
I paid $115 for mine, it had no rust but some normal wear. The blade is good, just needed honing and a little tune up.

If you think you might use it the price is good. Just be sure all the parts are there and nothing is cracked or pitted.

Dan Andrews
08-18-2010, 8:10 PM
I was given a Stanley 113 about 2 years ago. While doing major chair repairs I finally had the need to use it to plane the concave sides of the chair bottom. It worked great. I can see that is is not a plane to get rough with though. I read someplace that the sole is prone to crack where it is dovetailed to the cast body. I don't go flexing it to the max while showing it off, just to avoid the risk of cracking the sole. If a need to flex it to the max for a job arrises, I will do so, buth that souldn't be very often.