PDA

View Full Version : 1 DNA question

Michael James
08-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Can I use a plastic coffee container for denatured alcohol?
Or is there a safer container to use?

I know there are threads around but I have an extraordinary chunk of wood that I desperately want to "be OK", including the pith horizontal center.:eek: I need to act today on this.

Thanks!
mj

Paul Douglass
08-15-2010, 12:03 PM
I say yes.

Robert McGowen
08-15-2010, 1:54 PM
Perhaps it is just in the way that your describe it, but a "chunk" of wood will probably not be helped by DNA. You should have already turned it into whatever shape you are making, leaving enough wood to re-turn it after the DNA, and then use the DNA. I think you would be okay with the coffee container though.

Michael James
08-15-2010, 2:02 PM
Yes, it's hollowed out, in a little vase form. I did not expect all the figure, spalting, etc. as I was just taking "a peek" inside a very sentimental piece of a downed tree. 2 out of 2 yes's with a few views is good enough for me!:cool:
Michael

Steve Schlumpf
08-15-2010, 2:06 PM
Michael - I use a contractor garbage bag - it's thicker than most garbage bags and can be shaped to the form you are soaking. Uses lots less DNA that way.

Looking forward to seeing the vase!

David E Keller
08-15-2010, 3:16 PM
Should be fine, but then again, you've probably already got it soaking.

Michael James
08-15-2010, 6:54 PM
Should be fine, but then again, you've probably already got it soaking.

Thanks everybody, and Steve that's an excellent tip! :)

Bernie Weishapl
08-15-2010, 7:51 PM
I use a tote from Wally world and seal the top with foam that has sticky on one side. I have had DNA in it for a year and maybe down 1/4".

Ted Calver
08-15-2010, 9:08 PM
Contractor garbage bag cushioned by a big plastic tub full of shavings to help conform to the shape of the turning.