PDA

View Full Version : First tool Gloat (and of coarse a plane type ?)

Mark Dorman
08-15-2010, 10:55 AM
I’m new to the Creek, new to the Neander way (my Dad says careful son that’s a steep slope) and new to posting as well.

So here is my first online tool gloat. Here is what I got at an estate sale.

Stanley 10” Brace #945A $4

#80 5” Scraper 4” left on blade $4 seller thought it was a spoke shave.

2 24” Cincinnati Tool company bar clamps #496A $7 each. I’ve paid less for newer clamps but I thought these were cool and I can use more clamps.

#78 with Sweet Heart blade no patent dates $30. Excellent condition has the fence but no depth stop; I found a Wards best for $6 bucks a month ago it has a depth stop. I’m guessing that it will fit.

8” Folding Drawknife C. E. Jennings Arrowhead trademark $5

Stanley #55 pat.2-28-11 $6 wasn’t sure what it was at the time but I had money left in the budget. (TYPO should have read #95 Butt Marking Gauge)

Here is the plane I’m trying to type. #7 C $15 Not sure if this one is type 15; Has Bailey on toe, Made in USA behind knob, tall knob with ring cast in bed, no patent dates, NO7 on heel no space between letters and #, Sweet Heart blade, Sticker on handle and Lateral adjuster is I think; a two part because the (please correct me if I’m wrong) little thumb tab is pressed into the lever rather than bent.

D8 skew back rip saw with thumb hole handle $4 and a D23 straight back lightweight $2.50

Slip sliding away.
Mark

George Sanders
08-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Welcome to the creek and the slippery slope. Those are some incredibly good prices. That folding drawknife could probably pay for half the other stuff you bought. I have never seen a Disston saw with two medallions before. You may have something rare if someone didn't just replace a lost saw nut with it.
Try reading supertool.com for info on the #7. Then try tooltrip.com for a Stanley plane type study. Both are excellent resources. The Disstonianinstitute.com is where to find info on the saws.

Oh, and let me be the first to say "You Suck!":D

David Nelson1
08-15-2010, 11:37 AM
+1 on the You Suck. Great finds.

Jim Koepke
08-15-2010, 12:31 PM
What, no picture of the #55? I was recently looking for a spare body and other parts and was ready to pay about 10X that much.

Did the #55 come complete or just some of the parts.

Great finds.

Welcome to the Creek and the slope.

I think you are correct on type 15 for the #7. Looks like the remnants of a decal on the tote. Looks to be the old style frog.

I bought a type 7 for a few bucks more. It was rustier than that. It is now a fine user.

Read all about it here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114373

Have fun with the new toys and keep us up on how they clean up and get used.

And remember, there can't be too many pictures.:cool:

jim

Bill Houghton
08-15-2010, 12:46 PM
#78 with Sweet Heart blade no patent dates $30. Excellent condition has the fence but no depth stop; I found a Wards best for $6 bucks a month ago it has a depth stop. I’m guessing that it will fit.

Nice finds, insanely great prices.

The Wards and Craftsman planes were made by one or another of the big tool companies (Stanley, Sargent, Millers-Falls, Union, etc.), and not consistently: they would change companies from time to time, based on some corporate factor like bid price or design.

And the different companies tended to favor one thread size/pitch or another for parts like the depth stop screw. Stanley is famous for, apparently, using a dartboard to choose thread pitches.

In my observation, the depth stops for the duplex rabbet planes seem to be consistent from one to another, but the screws won't be. You have two choices, if your Wards Best depth stop screw won't work:

1. You can still get a depth stop screw and washer from Stanley, at http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/. This will be a large-headed slotted screw. It works, but it's a little awkward.

2. The cooler but possibly more expensive choice is to get one from one of the many purveyors of parts. Walt Quadrato at Brass City Records, Clarence Blanchard at Fine Tool Journal, and Pete Niederberger (pniederber@aol.com) are all possibilities. You want the kind that uses a thumbscrew: easier to use, cooler looking.

You do want a suitably sized washer under the head of the screw, and, if you can find one the right size, you might add a wavy washer (spring washer) between the flat washer and the head of the screw, to increase the firmness of the "hold." I once had the depth stop on my No. 78 slip while I was doing a long planing run, and discovered too late that I had made deeper rabbets on the later pieces of stock.

Mark Dorman
08-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I'll have to checkout the tooltrip.com.
Oops typo on the 55 should have been a #95.
The second medalion is one someone added you can tell by the fit on the other side.
It was a fun morning. They had a sign up sheet at 7, sale started at 9.
I got there at 6:30 because the pictures posted on line had the 78 and the #7. There were 7 people there already and only one was into tools (he wanted a band saw heh heh) so they called roll call at 9 sharp I had the garage to myself for a couple minutes.

Mark Dorman
08-15-2010, 1:00 PM
The Wards has the thumbscrew but as you thought the thread is differant. Thanks for the links.

Jim Koepke
08-15-2010, 1:24 PM
And the different companies tended to favor one thread size/pitch or another for parts like the depth stop screw. Stanley is famous for, apparently, using a dartboard to choose thread pitches.

Not only that, I think they would use matched sets of taps and dies which did not really meet the specification of even their non-standard thread sizes. I have seen this on some parts that have the same thread counts, but the root size if off by enough to make them non-interchangeable.

jim