PDA

View Full Version : Deck board fasteners

Gene Howe
08-15-2010, 9:42 AM
We are in the midst of replacing a couple decks including some joists and all the 2X8 rim boards. We wanted a fastener that wouldn't show. After searching I found Trex Hideaway fasteners. http://northvillelumber.com/Hideaway.htm
These things are slick! We heard too many horror stories about composites so, we are using 2X6 Redwood for decking. The fasteners fit into slots on the board's edges. Trex sells a router bit to make the slots. Some Trex is already grooved.

The process takes a little longer than face nailing or screwing but, the end result is a smooth, flat deck with consistent spacing AND, no hardware visible.

I highly recommend this system!
These things are slick! We heard too many horror stories about composites so, we are using 2X6 Redwood for decking. The fasteners fit into slots on the board's edges. Trex sells a router bit to make the slots. Some Trex is already grooved.

The process takes a little longer than face nailing or screwing but, the end result is a smooth, flat deck with consistent spacing AND, no hardware visible.

Jerome Stanek
08-15-2010, 10:41 AM
We are in the midst of replacing a couple decks including some joists and all the 2X8 rim boards. We wanted a fastener that wouldn't show. After searching I found Trex Hideaway fasteners. http://northvillelumber.com/Hideaway.htm

I used Tiger Claw and Phantom fasteners. I like the Phantom better If you try to pound the Tiger Claws in they don't go in very well The engineer that I worked with agreed and I ended up cuting slots with my biscuit jointer.

David G Baker
08-15-2010, 12:38 PM
I use the Simpson Strong-Tie clips sold by Home Depot and found that they worked well for my application.
I use many Simpson products and have found them to be one of the best products for the use they were made for.

Gene Howe
08-15-2010, 6:50 PM
I use the Simpson Strong-Tie clips sold by Home Depot and found that they worked well for my application.
I use many Simpson products and have found them to be one of the best products for the use they were made for.

Hi Dave,
I tried my HD and they never heard of them, although they are in the Simpson catalog located in the Simpson fastener area. I asked about a special order and was told they couldn't get them and that what was displayed was all available. Yet, I did get the Trex Hideaways on special order from HD......Go figger.

Bryan Rocker
08-15-2010, 9:38 PM
If you go back into the lumber area, there is generally a rack with simpson ties of various types, sizes and shapes. I know our local HD has lots of them. Just look for the deck bracket area. I believe both borgs carry them....:D

David G Baker
08-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Gene,
Looks like HD is back sliding again. If you have another HD in your area you can give them a try. HD quality varies from area to area.

Gene Howe
08-16-2010, 7:55 AM
Gene,
Looks like HD is back sliding again. If you have another HD in your area you can give them a try. HD quality varies from area to area.

Thanks Dave,
We already bought (and installed) the Trex clips when HD couldn't/wouldn't get the Simpson product.
We live an hour away from any HD or Lowes. The next closest is over 100 mi. away. There are advantages to rural living. Access to supplies is not one.:rolleyes:

Lee Schierer
08-16-2010, 8:24 AM
I concur with the hidden fasteners. I saw a friends composite deck that was put down with screws and even thought eh screw spacing was nearly perfect, it looked awful. The clean look of a fastenerless deck can't be beat. I used the tiger claw fastener on my first hidden fastener deck and they were a lot of work. The Phantom fastener worked much better.

I've also seen a hidden fastener that uses a biscuit jointer and biscuit type spacer standoffs that would seem to be minimal extra labor for a non-slotted deck material.

Gene Howe
08-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi Lee,
That's sorta what the trex Hidaway system is. A router bit that gives you a 1/4 deep by 1/4 thick (kerf?) for the fastener. The fastener has a 1/4 wide "biscuit" on either side and a standoff with a screw in the middle, between the biscuits.
Cut the kerfs on mating boards, slip in the biscuits and screw them down. So simple, a cave man can do it:D
Actually, my wife found it so much fun that she actually completed about 4-500 sq. ft. by herself.

David G Baker
08-16-2010, 2:58 PM
The former owner of my place built a deck on the front of the house. He used nails on all of the surface boards. Several times I have driven the nails below the surface of the wood but like stones in a field they keep popping up. I am tempted to pull the boards and install hidden fasteners but the nail holes will still be there.

Gene Howe
08-16-2010, 8:21 PM
22 years ago I helped a friend lay a small deck at his getaway cabin in the mountains. We had a discussion about nails vs deck screws. Ended up that he nailed about half the deck and I screwed the other half. Guess which are still tight. :rolleyes:
Why not keep some coated deck screws handy and just replace the nails as they pop? When you decide to re do the deck, then do the hidden fasteners.