PDA

View Full Version : Fender Deluxe Cabinet

Greg Peterson
08-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Okay, I know the cabinet is now covered in tweed, but I assure you the single biggest task and impediment to completing this build was the lack of a woodworking shop when I built the amp.

The amp went together in several nights and has worked fine without issue from the initial power up several years ago.

At the time I built the amp all I had was an old craftsman contractor saw. Between its inaccuracies, setup time and lack of DC, that saw never really saw much action.

I now have a Ridgid R4511 and for the $25 out of pocket it cost me, it's a worthy tool. I am very happy with it.

So, the cabinet was built out of 3/4 pine using 1/2" finger joints. I had tried several methods of cutting finger joints and ultimately settled on a jig that provides a micro adjustment. After cutting the finger joints I was off to the races with the cabinet. The joints turned out great.

Now all that is left is shellacking the tweed and throwing the amp and speaker back in to the cabinet (I played it for awhile sans covering).

This project has been a long time in the making. Like I said, when I built the amp, I wasn't a woodworker. Now at least I have enough tooling to lay claim to the aspiration of the hobby.

Joe Cunningham
08-15-2010, 1:19 AM
Sweet, next you'll be making your own Tele, Strat or Les Paul to plug in to the amp.

I'm working on Tele #3 and plan to do a 2 X 10 (or x 12) cabinet soon as well. I'll toss some Ragin Cajun speakers in there, cover it with tweed and rock out.

scott spencer
08-15-2010, 3:53 AM
Nice job with that Greg. A tube amp is a very worthy project! Ironically, I just bought some "tweed" looking vinyl to cover my son's guitar speaker that I roughed together a couple of years ago....same color....and it's definitely time!

John Thompson
08-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Nice build Greg.. don't know anything about musical instruments or thier components but the construction itself is good.

Greg Peterson
08-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Thank you for the kind words gentlemen.

From a woodworking perspective this is a rudimentary project. It isn't the only thing I've built, but this is largely responsible for my foray into the hobby.

Joe, I've got a mini LP that I'm working on. It's a lap slide. It will have a rosewood neck with frets and markers rather than painted representations. One humbucker, V & T, fixed tail Strat style bridge. And on the side of the guitar I'm installing a Strat instrument jack. It will be little extra work, but I like the idea of the cord not sticking straight out or up from the instrument. Small, cramped quarters have a way of dinging things up.

Scott, If you want some links for tolexing info let me know.

John, the tweed covers up all the real work. But I was happy with the cabinet before I covered it. The cabinet deviates enough from a basic box so that you have to think things through a little more. Again, this is wasn't rocket science, but definitely an affirming experience. I've seen examples of these amps where the builder used exotic woods and fancy joinery. Pretty but not practical. One evening in a bar and that work of art has scratches and dents that will detract from the intent of the design.

Jim Becker
08-15-2010, 5:18 PM
Very nice. And you did a bank-up job laying on that tweed nice and lined up, too! I'm looking forward to the finished pictures.

Greg Peterson
08-15-2010, 5:51 PM
Thanks Jim.

Just finished applying the third coat of shellac. First coat was clear just to get deep into the fibers. Second and third coat are 50/50 mix of amber and clear. I think the color of the tweed is just about right for my taste so now back to the clear.

Will Boulware
08-16-2010, 2:18 PM
You can't post a handwired fender circuit and not post any sound clips to go along with it... When it makes noise again, we want to hear it! :D

Great job, by the way. Gotta love a tweed circuit. I play a fender 59 bassman reissue. Mine's factory, though, so nothing special there. Like I said... Clips!!

Van Huskey
08-16-2010, 8:26 PM
Very nice build, love the sound of a sweet tube amp!

Thomas Delpizzo
08-16-2010, 8:36 PM
Sweet, next you'll be making your own Tele, Strat or Les Paul to plug in to the amp.

I'm working on Tele #3 and plan to do a 2 X 10 (or x 12) cabinet soon as well. I'll toss some Ragin Cajun speakers in there, cover it with tweed and rock out.

Go to this site for great info!! http://www.projectguitar.com/

Greg Peterson
08-16-2010, 11:15 PM
You can't post a handwired fender circuit and not post any sound clips to go along with it... When it makes noise again, we want to hear it! :D

Great job, by the way. Gotta love a tweed circuit. I play a fender 59 bassman reissue. Mine's factory, though, so nothing special there. Like I said... Clips!!

My youngest brother finally put his JCM800 in the closet and bought a 59 Bassman RI LTD AND a 52 reissue Tele. He's in hog heaven these days. The JCM800 is a great amp but very limited.

I played in a band where the other guitarist had a 59 Bassman RI. Great amp. Louder than all get out, but they are fantastic.

Greg Peterson
08-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Alas, here is the finished project.

The grill cloth was challenging but turned out fairly well. The tweed received four coats of shellac. First coat clear just to let the fabric soak it up. Next two coats were 50/50 amber/clear shellac, and then one final coat of clear. All in all I'm happy with it.

Jim Becker
08-19-2010, 9:56 PM
Wonderful job!!

Greg Peterson
08-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks Jim.

Harlan Coverdale
08-19-2010, 11:37 PM
That looks sweet. Great job.