PDA

View Full Version : got lucky

Tony Wheeler
08-14-2010, 8:41 PM
Our club has a challange each month this month it is to be a long stem goblet, I got lucky and did this one in one take JImmy Clewes style no tail stock or steady rest this on is about 9 1/2 tall 3/16 stemand the bowl is 2 1/2 hackberry theonly problem came at the base went to sand and found a bug hole right in the edge and not enough material left to turn away so had to made a apple secondary base. Since I got lucky I am going for a 12" one next but I think the bowl will have to be a little thinner and smaller it sure was wanting to whip at the end. thanks for looking all comment good or bad allways appericated

Tom Sherman
08-14-2010, 8:45 PM
Very nice Tony. these can be fun and frustrating at the same time. You did good.

David E Keller
08-14-2010, 8:51 PM
Pretty cool. That looks like a great tool technique exercise. It's on my list of things to try.

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2010, 10:48 PM
That is just pretty cool. That would take some patiences.

Steve Schlumpf
08-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Tony - I have seen an original and you did a really good likeness! Never tried one myself but sure looks challenging! Thanks for sharing!

Dennis Ford
08-15-2010, 7:51 AM
You did a good job but I disagree with the title of your thread. It took a lot more than luck to make this.

James Combs
08-15-2010, 8:09 AM
I am sure it was dry wood but did you have any shape change, warping, or stem bending after the fact. I have experienced some even in dry wood. The reason I asked and it may just be the photo but it looks like the stem maybe slightly bowed. In any case it sure is a great looking goblet.

Tony Wheeler
08-15-2010, 8:59 AM
thanks guys for all the nice words yes james it is made from a limb that has been in the shop for a couple of years and yes it is wraping some or the bowl is just to heavy for the stem but the bowl is just about 1/8 thick