PDA

View Full Version : free drawing programs?

mark lankton
08-14-2010, 8:39 PM
I have an iMac G5 os 10.4.11 (PowerPC G5) at home so I can't run CorelDraw. Any suggestions for free drawing programs that I can use at home and then transfer to CorelDraw at work? I'd like to do vector as well as raster cuts.
Thanks

Dan Hintz
08-14-2010, 8:51 PM
Can't help with free stuff for the Mac... if you want to spend some money, Illustrator is a big Mac-supported program that works with most lasers.

Joe De Medeiros
08-15-2010, 2:09 PM
Can't help with free stuff for the Mac... if you want to spend some money, Illustrator is a big Mac-supported program that works with most lasers.

Dan, you forgot your favorite , Inkscape. I will run on PPC/intel mac, There is a universal binary available for the mac.

Dan Hintz
08-15-2010, 4:12 PM
My bad... I never pay attention to Mac software, so I didn't even think to check my favorites.

Martin Boekers
08-16-2010, 9:47 AM
Corel draw 11 is still available with a little searching,
that was the last one that did have a Mac version.
Not free, but hey, you doing work at home with your resources,
get the company to buck up.

Corel 11 will work work with older Macs (non Intel)

Also you may consider buying a used computer (PC) just
for your Corel use. This may be the cheapest route.

Marty

Greg Bednar
08-16-2010, 7:55 PM
There is the the drawing program included with OpenOffice.

Bren Kano
08-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Not sure what you want to do with the program but I'll throw this out there. Maybe it could work for you.

http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

Lee DeRaud
08-17-2010, 1:35 AM
Not sure what you want to do with the program but I'll throw this out there. Maybe it could work for you.

http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/ (http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/ Gimp)[/QUOTE] Gimp is the (raster) companion to (vector) Inkscape.

I've often suspected the same people designed the user interface for both programs...that's not meant as a compliment. :eek:

Dan Hintz
08-17-2010, 6:54 AM
Lee,

GIMP seems to be more well-known, but I highly recommend Paint.NET. It has its own set of UI quirks, but I find it easier to do the common stuff than trying to use PhotoShop... changing the color/shade of an object immediately comes to mind (like turning a picture of a silver car into a red one).

Joe De Medeiros
08-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Lee,

GIMP seems to be more well-known, but I highly recommend Paint.NET. It has its own set of UI quirks, but I find it easier to do the common stuff than trying to use PhotoShop... changing the color/shade of an object immediately comes to mind (like turning a picture of a silver car into a red one).

paint.net is windows only, where Gimp is cross platform, like inkscape.

Dan Hintz
08-17-2010, 10:35 AM
paint.net is windows only, where Gimp is cross platform, like inkscape.
Yeah, but it comes in 9 different languages :p

mark lankton
08-17-2010, 8:27 PM
Thanks for all your ideas. Unfortunately, the mac i have isn't intel based so I can't run windows programs and my company isn't in a position to buy a coreldraw program for me. I do have an old cad (MiniCad+) program that I can export drawings in PICT, DXF or EPSF files. Any thoughts about whether or not corel can deal with these? Once again, thanks in advance for your responses.

Dan Hintz
08-18-2010, 6:41 AM
I always wonder about companies that want me to work from home but can't seem to afford a sub-$400 program, or even a sub-$300 Windows computer to use it on.