PDA

View Full Version : Festool Sander: DS400EQ or DX93E?

Chris Padilla
12-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Guys,

Looking for your thoughts about choosing between these two sanders. The DS400EQ has a triangular bottom but otherwise has a similar body to the the 150/5 or 150/3 ROSs. The DX93E also has a triangular head but much smaller and a totally differnet body.

The pics below show the DS400EPlus. I think the DS400EQ has the "Plug-It" removable cord but I don't know what else is different.

Anyway, looking for reasons to pick one over the other. The DS400EQ is $60 cheaper than the DX93E. However, I see that the DS400EPlus is on sale for $140. Looks like the EPlus might have a smaller footprint?

Thanks!

Dennis Peacock
12-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Good Morning Chris,

Yes...I still have your glue. :eek: :rolleyes: and no I haven't tried it yet. Gotta figure out how to mix a small amout at the ratio of 13:100 (powder to liquid) since the instructions say to mix the entire can with the whole pack of powder and use the glue. Yea right!!!!!

Any way....not hi-jacking your thread here.......But it all depends on what you are planning on using the sander for. Detail sanding? I would vote for the smaller footprint. General sanding with corner "gettin" ability? I would vote for the larger footprint. However, the smaller footprint is also "lower profile" meaning you can get it into tighter places....that would come in handy for me right now. :rolleyes:

In short and for my needs....the DX93E gets my vote. :D

Tim Sproul
12-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Chris,

I went through this when JWW had the no sales tax sale.....I got the DS400. The DX93 is more along the lines of the Rotex and is more aggressive. I was looking for a finishing sander to get into corners and tight spots on those occasions where I needed such. My take is that the DX93E would be better if you're looking at restorations and being able to remove old finishes while the DS400 is better suited for finish sanding new work.

Want to try out the DS400? Manny's got mine right now......since I don't have much of a shop currently.

Bob Marino
12-10-2004, 2:52 PM
Chris,

The " EQ" denotes a tool with a removeable plug. I just double checked and the older 400 is no longer available :o .
Essentially, as noted, the Deltex is a detail sander, while the DS 400 is a larger orbital sander more suited to general sanding as well as "getting in the corners".

Bob

Mark Singer
12-10-2004, 2:56 PM
Hi Bob,

I got my stuff...It was the blade!
Thanks,

Jim Becker
12-10-2004, 3:02 PM
Chris, given Bob's description and with the fact that you have the Rotex, the Deltex detail sander would be what I would choose for it's versatility and ability to get into tight spaces.

Chris Padilla
12-10-2004, 3:31 PM
Thanks, Guys...you've been absolutely no help 'cept fer Bob! ;) hahaha

I understand that they are pretty different but I'm still not sure which one would be best for me. The Deltex looks pretty agressive compared to the 400. Certainly, the Deltex can fit into spots the 400 couldn't...sigh.... :)

I guess if I can't decide between the two that I shouldn't get either? Naw...I should get BOTH then, right?! :D

Chris Padilla
12-10-2004, 4:09 PM
Hmmm, ya know, I'm a little embarrased. Had I just read the catalog and looked at how they categorized the various sanders, I would have seen the Deltex is a pretty agressive cut and I think I want something more for corner glue clean-ups in cabinets and such. I think the 400 gets the nod.

larry merlau
12-10-2004, 4:20 PM
Hmmm, ya know, I'm a little embarrased. Had I just read the catalog and looked at how they categorized the various sanders, I would have seen the Deltex is a pretty agressive cut and I think I want something more for corner glue clean-ups in cabinets and such. I think the 400 gets the nod.
hey cris,, john milians told me that the regular pad works for the 400 so you could swap out them and have two sanders. he has the particulars on it.

Chris Padilla
12-10-2004, 4:27 PM
Larry,

I was wondering about that. The DS and RS 400 EQ look exactly the same except one has a rectangular pad and the other has a delta-shaped pad. The catalog has a small italicised note specifically stating that the pads from these two sanders are NOT interchangeable.

You out there, Miliunas?? What is the skinny on this? If they are interchangeable, I'll just pick up a pad/sandpaper to get the D and R in one! :D

Bob Marino
12-10-2004, 4:46 PM
Chrism

The DS 400 and the RS 400 are identical sanders, except for the pad. If you took off the pad and (I am told) get another small part, the pads will work on the other sander.

Bob

Chris Padilla
12-10-2004, 5:06 PM
Thanks, Bob...good to know.

John Miliunas
12-10-2004, 6:51 PM
Yeah Chris, what Bob said. :D I forget exactly who informed me of that, but they went ahead and ordered the other head from the "parts dept" and it's a perfect match. I've got the RS version and, if it weren't for the fact that I already have two other detail sanders, I'd get the other pad for it, as well. If you don't already have a detail sander, it's a great way to economize and still be flexible. :) :cool:

Chris Padilla
12-10-2004, 6:57 PM
Economize and Festool don't go together, John...or do they??? :D Thanks, Buddy.

John Miliunas
12-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Economize and Festool don't go together, John...or do they??? :D Thanks, Buddy.

Sure they do! If you buy a specialized tool in the Festool line, there's a real good chance you won't be replacing it for a long, long time, if ever! In the long haul, THAT saves $$$! :) :cool:

Frank Pellow
12-10-2004, 11:18 PM
Chrism

The DS 400 and the RS 400 are identical sanders, except for the pad. If you took off the pad and (I am told) get another small part, the pads will work on the other sander.

Bob
Bob, so why have they got that note (which states that the pads between the RS 400 EQ and DS 400 EQ are not interchangeable)
in the catalogue implying that the two sanders are not the same? :confused:

I actually thought of getting the DS 400 EQ but purchased the DX 93 E instead partly becuase of that note. :(

Bob Marino
12-11-2004, 7:54 AM
Frank,

Except for the pad, the sanders have the same specs and are identical - that I was aware of.
Before it was mentioned here, I didn't know there was interchangeability between the two, so I asked David about it and he said if you buy another pad and head, it could be done without too much fuss. Don't know if balance is slightly affected or some such thing. But I will find out why the advisory note.

Bob

Christian Aufreiter
12-11-2004, 8:18 AM
Bob, so why have they got that note (which states that the pads between the RS 400 EQ and DS 400 EQ are not interchangeable)
in the catalogue implying that the two sanders are not the same? :confused:

I actually thought of getting the DS 400 EQ but purchased the DX 93 E instead partly becuase of that note. :(

Bob already explained what not interchangeable means in this case.
Anyway, I don't think that the Deltex was a bad choice. It's supposed to be more aggressive and that's what I'd look for.

Regards,

Christian

Niels J. Larsen
01-31-2005, 11:02 AM
Does anyone know the partnumber for that extra little item you need (apart from the pad) to be able to transform the DS400 to a RS400 ?

Cheers,
Niels

Greg Mann
01-31-2005, 11:27 AM
While the Deltex is described as 'aggressive' it is easy to control and capable of pretty fine work with finer grits. I think the distinction here is that it is designed for working (isolating) pretty small areas as opposed to a larger corner blending of orbit sanding to the rest of a panel that could be done with the DS alone or in concert with a 150/3, 150/5, or Rotex. That was my impression when I played around with the DX, anyway.

Greg

Chris Padilla
01-31-2005, 4:04 PM
Does anyone know the partnumber for that extra little item you need (apart from the pad) to be able to transform the DS400 to a RS400 ?

Cheers,
Niels
Niels,

You need 2 pieces to convert the DS400 to an RS400:

The StickFix sanding pad, rectangular...489 252...$15.75 (easily found in the catalog)
Some kind of rectangular "Head Piece"...489 215...$10.11

Bob Marino
02-02-2005, 10:19 PM
The DS400 is a finishing sander. It has a small stroke (2mm) and high
opm (orbits per minute: 6000-1300). For orbital sanders (note, I'm not
talking about RANDOM orbital sanders here) you can say: the faster the
speed and the smaller the stroke, the better the finish.

The DX63 has less opms (5000 - 9.500) and a bigger stroke (2.5mm). It was
orignially developed for painters to remove old paint. The footprint is significantly smaller, it is not intended to be used on large, flat surfaces (though itcan be), but rather for corners and small things like window frames.

If you are are looking for something to get into a corner and do finish sanding, go for the DS400.

If you want to remove old material like paint or glue etc. in small
corners and on small surfaces, go for the DX93.

Bob

Niels J. Larsen
02-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Niels,

You need 2 pieces to convert the DS400 to an RS400:

The StickFix sanding pad, rectangular...489 252...$15.75 (easily found in the catalog)
Some kind of rectangular "Head Piece"...489 215...$10.11
Chris,
I can't find the 489215 product anywhere on Festools website - tried the site in the States, the one in Germany and the one here in Denmark.
Do you have a link or similar that will tell me what it is I need ?

Bob Marino: Maybe you can help me ?

Cheers,
Niels

Bob Marino
02-03-2005, 10:28 AM
This item is a "replacement part" so it's not listed in a catalog. You would need to call the repair department for this part.

Bob

Niels J. Larsen
02-03-2005, 1:56 PM
Thanks Bob - I'll give them a call.

Looking closer I see that the pad Chris mentions is no. 489252.
I ordered no. 483906.

So, my question is - what exactly did I order - a replacement for the "soft stuff" on the pad or something else... ? :o

Cheers,
Niels

Chris Padilla
02-03-2005, 5:04 PM
Niels,

The pad easily found in the catalog is just a replacement for the velcro stuff. It is understandable that the velcro will wear or get clogged over time so they make a replacement available.

The head piece is the harder plastic one just after the velcro piece and is not listed anywhere as you found out. Just ask Bob to get one for you...that is all I did.

I have no clue what you ordered but it isn't correct for the conversion of the D to R. :)