PDA

View Full Version : Triangles ? A Corel question

Bob Rath
08-14-2010, 7:47 PM
I'd like to make a series of acrylic triangles that I can use a set up tools for woodworking projects. I know how to use the Perfect Shapes function in Corel to create triangles, but is there a way to draw triangles with varying angles.... i.e. instead of a right triangle (45-45-90), also 30-60-90 triangle etc. just by calling out the drsired angles ? Your input is appreciated.

Jeff Bratt
08-15-2010, 1:25 AM
One possibility (make sure Snap to Objects is enabled):
1) Draw a horizontal line (use shift key).
2) Select line and apply a rotation transformation for the desired angle - use "Apply to Duplicate".
3) Drag the end node of the new line to snap to the end node of the first line.
4) For a right triangle, draw a vertical line (shift key) and drag it into place. Otherwise use the rotation again to get the desired angle for the third side, then drag it into place.
5) Use the Shape Tool to edit the lengths of lines as necessary - again using the shift key to constrain the movement so the angles are not altered.
6) Combine all the lines into a single shape.

Larry Bratton
08-15-2010, 6:06 PM
Might be possible also to do it with guidelines. You can specify the angle of new guides by double clicking on an existing guide,then set Snap to Guides and draw your lines. Just a thought.

Rodne Gold
08-16-2010, 12:39 AM
The easiest way is to draw it using 3 segments using the freehand/line tool and using the constrain angle thingy. (Press ctrl when drawing)
You can set the constrain angle at some figure like 10 degrees and you can then draw the base line to the length you need and then use the constrain angle to draw the other 2 sides at the angle you want at 10 degree implements - use the virtual segment delete to trim off the ends where the other 2 sides intersect.
You could expressly set the constrain angle to the exact angles you need as well.

Mike Null
08-16-2010, 7:57 AM
I would use Jeff's example but draw a horizontal line and two vertical lines. Take a vertical and rotate to the angle you want do the same with the other vertical and move them to intersect. Trim with the segment delete tool.

Robert Walters
08-16-2010, 8:32 PM
Bob,

If you feel like learning/playing with PostScript you could do a variety of triangles easily.

Just set some variables at the top of your PostScript file for the various quantity, angles, and sizes you need.

This plain text file renamed to triangles.ps instead of triangles.txt:

-----Begin triangles.ps here -----
%!PS
% (c) Stijn van Dongen.

0.2 setgray
0 setlinewidth
/gridunit 10 def % length of triangle side.
/angle 0 def % angle with baseline.
% 0 makes normal baseline a direction of grid,
% 30 makes vertical a direction of grid.

2.845 2.845 scale

/step gridunit 0.866025 mul def % that's 1/2 * sqrt(3)

newpath
5 5 moveto
205 5 lineto
205 292 lineto
5 292 lineto
closepath clip newpath

105 149 translate

angle rotate

{ -183 step div floor step mul % make sure we hit the origin, i.e. (0,0).
step
{ -183 exch moveto 366 0 rlineto
}
for
120 rotate
}
repeat

stroke showpage
----- End triangles.ps here-----

Produces this (shrunk down from 8.5x11" to fit in this post):

http://i33.tinypic.com/1z4adtk.jpg

Which can be opened in CorelDRAW to view and play around with.

I think most folks don't realize that PostScript is a programming language, not just a graphic format. I just included the above as a simple example of what can be done in PostScript with very little effort.

I've used PS to create some triangles that I've output to g-code to make some parts for a fixture and jigs before.

Dan Hintz
08-17-2010, 7:21 AM
It's like HTML... you can create and edit the file in a standard text editor, but plenty of programs can open it in its native format.

Mike Null
08-17-2010, 8:33 AM
If you save the PS file as a PDF you can bring it into CorelDraw and edit it.

Joe De Medeiros
08-17-2010, 9:58 AM
If all you want to do is triangles once in awhile then any of the solutions is ok, but if you need to make triangles as well as complex geometric shapes nothing beats a good cad package. Obviously Autocad is out of most peoples budgets, but there are some really good cheaper alternatives like Bricscad, which is under $400 and is command compatible with Autocad. There is a small learning curve but it's well worth it. I use Autocad 2011 in conjunction with Corel Draw.

Just some food for thought.

Dan Hintz
08-17-2010, 10:28 AM
I need to add this freebie to my sig... DoubleCAD XT. Competes with AutoCAD LT for features.

Joe De Medeiros
08-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I need to add this freebie to my sig... DoubleCAD XT. Competes with AutoCAD LT for features.

Good find Dan

No Catches

We're trying to shake up the CAD world. We won't do that unless we have something special.

DoubleCAD XT is a full-powered 2D CAD application — one that you already know how to use — and is free with none of the usual limitations:

We're not constraining printing, saving, file sizes... we're not including untimely time-outs... we're not even constraining the software license — our free DoubleCAD XT can be used for unlimited personal and commercial use.

Our hope is that as you need even more power, you'll consider upgrading to our enhanced DoubleCAD XT Pro product or DoubleCAD plug-ins as available. DoubleCAD XT Pro is a great companion to AutoCAD and an excellent drafting complement to popular mechanical design package such as SolidWorks, Pro/ENGINEER®, and Solid Edge.

Robert Walters
08-17-2010, 1:33 PM
If you save the PS file as a PDF you can bring it into CorelDraw and edit it.

No need to convert it to PDF, CorelDraw can open PS files directly.

CorelDraw 12 had issues with PS/PDF, but works fine in 13 and 14.

Mike Null
08-17-2010, 2:54 PM
Yes, that is correct, but I don't believe you can edit them unless you convert first to pdf. For example changing the color of lines or deleting lines.

Robert Walters
08-17-2010, 4:05 PM
Yes, that is correct, but I don't believe you can edit them unless you convert first to pdf. For example changing the color of lines or deleting lines.

Well, fudge....

You CAN open and edit the .PS file in CorelDraw X4,
but you CANT save as PS, only EPS, as I just found out =(

Bummer.

At least you still can create/edit PostScript in a text editor,
then grab/use those created objects in CorelDraw.

I know there are 3rd party tools one could use,
but that's starting to drift off-topic of Bob's triangle question.

Jeff Bratt
08-18-2010, 6:29 PM
Notes for future reference:

5) Use the Shape Tool to edit the lengths of lines as necessary - again using the shift key to constrain the movement so the angles are not altered.

Trim with the segment delete tool.

My step 5 only works right when the angle of a side coincides with the Constrain Angle Dynamic Guide setting. Another easy way to change the length of a rotated line is to select the line and drag the corner of the selection box - then the angle will not change. And I didn't know about the (relatively new?) Segment Delete Tool - that works really well here, too.

Mike Null
08-18-2010, 6:59 PM
Robert

I have X3 and can't edit a PS fill unless I save it as PDF then open it in Corel.