PDA

View Full Version : For all you motorheads ....The BOSS is back

Dave Wagner
08-14-2010, 7:00 PM
For those that remember the BOSS 302 Mustang from 69-70...they are bringing it back!! Just announced yesterday Aug. 13. 2010.

440 HP / 380 lb/ft torque from a 5.0 L engine....need I say more!!

Enjoy.!! Should look good next to my 2003 Mach 1 :)

http://media.ford.com/mini_sites/10031/2012Boss302/

Pat Germain
08-14-2010, 7:08 PM
Cool. Very cool! Considering a nice example of a '69 or '70 version now goes for $60,000 and up (way up), one can now spend less dough and buy a new BOSS 302 with more power, better handling, better safety features and a warranty.

Of course, there's nothing like owning a classic car. But it's nice that we again have the option of buying a Shelby or a BOSS Mustang. (You know, the BOSS Mustangs ticked off Carol Shelby and were a factor which led to the end of the Shelby Mustangs. I sure hope history doesn't repeat itself in this area. I'm sure there's plenty of room for both Shelby and BOSS Mustangs.)

Chevro-who?

Mitchell Andrus
08-14-2010, 8:37 PM
Very nice but 'stangs never did it for me.

I hope this doesn't shove aside development of fuel efficient stuff, battery power, etc. One more round of "Detroit doesn't deserve a bailout because they only sell gas gusslers" and I'm gonna loose it.

If they build it, it will sell. Don't blame the shoemaker when you buy shoes that don't fit.

Gene Howe
08-14-2010, 8:58 PM
I want one! And the new 350 diesel also.
Wife likes the "stang". I do to. but I REALLY like that 350!

John Lohmann
08-14-2010, 11:20 PM
I remember the Hot Wheels Boss Hoss, it was so cool, but I was 10, so a lot of stuff was cool.

Walt Nicholson
08-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Didn't hear about the "end of the Shelby Mustangs" Our local dealer sold several Shelby GT 500's last year and has a new 2011 Shelby GT500 in transit. Shelby also just last year finished collabrating with Ford on a new ground up concept Cobra, so doesn't seem too upset with them. Curious

Pat Germain
08-14-2010, 11:34 PM
I hope this doesn't shove aside development of fuel efficient stuff, battery power, etc. One more round of "Detroit doesn't deserve a bailout because they only sell gas gusslers" and I'm gonna loose it.

Ford was already way ahead of GM and Chrysler with smaller, fuel efficient cars. Let's not forget the Japanese manufacturers also make high end sports cars and large, sport sedans (Infiniti, Lexus, Acura). So, it's well proven that an automobile manufacturer can sell smaller, more fuel efficient cars as well as sporty cars. Consider also that even the Mustang GT and Corvette fuel mileage is pretty impressive compared the old muscle cars. And I'll bet the new Boss 302 MPG is comparable to a newer Lincoln and certainly better than an Escilade.

Pat Germain
08-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Didn't hear about the "end of the Shelby Mustangs" Our local dealer sold several Shelby GT 500's last year and has a new 2011 Shelby GT500 in transit. Shelby also just last year finished collabrating with Ford on a new ground up concept Cobra, so doesn't seem too upset with them. Curious

Walt, I was referring to Carol Shelby being upset about the orginal Boss Mustangs back in 1969 and 1970. He saw them as direct competition for his performance Mustangs. As I understand it, this led to a falling out between Shelby and Ford. 1969 was really the last year for the old Shelby Mustangs. The 1970 Shelby Mustangs were actually leftover 1969 cars. Of course, soon after, the EPA, insurance companies and fuel shortages would put an end to muscle cars anyway. But now The Boss is back! And Shelby Mustangs are Back!

Shoot, I really need to get another Mustang! Unlike Mitchell, I've always been a Mustang guy. My very first car was a 1971 fastback. Then I bought a 1970 fastback. I had both cars at the same time and it was great! Then I joined the Navy and sold them both.

I also drove a 1969 Cougar as my daily driver for twelve years. That car was a lot of fun. Yeah, it was actually a Mustang underneath, but it still wasn't a Mustang.

When I'm ready, I'd like to buy a 1969 or 1970 Mach 1. I'm always looking online just for fun. :)

Jay Jolliffe
08-15-2010, 6:35 AM
When the last round of the hp mustangs came out I found it kinda funny that on the window sticker there was a gas guzzling tax figured into the price of the car. I don't know if that's everywhere or just Maine

Dave Wagner
08-15-2010, 7:17 AM
I think if the MPG rating is below the average for that type of car or something, it gets the gas guzzler tax. They have been improving the fuel efficiency of them. The new Mustang V6 is getting 31mpg and 300hp.

My 2003 Mach 1 which is rated 320 hp, did not have the gas guzzler tax. on long trips I can get 27-29mpg with it.

John Mark Lane
08-15-2010, 8:38 AM
Ford Schmord. "Fix Or Repair Daily".

Stand aside, please.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/jmarklane/1969CamaroSS.jpg

David Weaver
08-15-2010, 10:34 AM
3600 pounds....woof!

Cars have gotten way too heavy.

Pat Germain
08-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Ford Schmord. "Fix Or Repair Daily".

Stand aside, please.

I see a Camaro. So where's the guy with a Mullet which ultimately goes with it?

Seriously, Chevy made some great cars back then. And the new Corvette is a great car.

Abuse me all you want. But I am still a proud Mustang/Ford guy when it comes to "cool cars". And I will continue to believe Ford stands for "First On Race Day".

Pat Germain
08-15-2010, 11:22 AM
When the last round of the hp mustangs came out I found it kinda funny that on the window sticker there was a gas guzzling tax figured into the price of the car. I don't know if that's everywhere or just Maine

Its' a federal gaz guzzler tax. The big SUV's also get it slapped onto the price tag. But as I recall, some of the newer performance cars have an MPG rating which does not invoke the gas guzzler tax.

I haven't seen the MPG ratings for the new Boss 302. But with a 5.0L engine, relatively light and aerodynamic car, electronic fuel injection and overdrive, I bet it's pretty impressive for a car with that much umph.

Mitchell Andrus
08-15-2010, 11:33 AM
And I will continue to believe Ford stands for "First On Race Day".

When I was in HS and these cars were on their second owners, it stood for "Found On Road Dead".

It was GTO, Camaro, Charger - or you walked.

'course, I had an XKE and an MGB. I didn't hang at the gas station swapping transmissions.

Pat Germain
08-15-2010, 12:32 PM
When I was in HS and these cars were on their second owners, it stood for "Found On Road Dead".

'course, I had an XKE and an MGB. I didn't hang at the gas station swapping transmissions.

Oh, c'mon, Mitchell. Back then the Big Three (and even AMC) all had very fast cars. It just depended on what option package was delivered and what kind of mods the owner did himself.

I think Fords got a reputation for being slower because the vast majority of them were delivered with an econo-302 two barrel. And if it wasn't an actual GTO or big-block Firebird, the average Pontiac was pretty gutless. Most Chevys came with a 350 Q-Jet from the factory which, of course, made them pretty fast right off the lot.

The Chrysler Hemi was such a monster, almost nothing could put it on the trailer. In fact, I'm pretty sure in drag racing it was literally in a class by itself. Thus, if you were running a Hemi under the hood, you couldn't run against non-Hemi cars.

And as an all around street terror, I don't think ANYTHING could touch the Boss 429. But very few of those were built and you weren't likely to see one show up at a street race or even at the strip. (In fact, I saw a TV show where they put 1970 mucle cars head to head and the Boss 429 surprised everyone by winning every category. Since the engine was alminum, it actually handled surprsingly well.)

When you put similarly equipped Camaros and Mustangs head-to-head, it could go either way. The early Shelby Mustangs beat the Corvette. The Camaro won Trans Am in '68 and '69. The Boss 302 won it in '70. Then, of all cars, the AMC Javelin won in '71 and '72.

And most people have forgotten one of the best factory drag cars of all time: the '71 Boss 351. It had a 351 Cleveland with GINORMOUS heads, solid lifter cam, close ratio 4-speed and a Detroit Locker. But not many of those were sold either.

It was all good fun. And I hope we get more good fun with the new Camaro, Shelby Mustangs and the new Boss 302. EDIT: I just remembered Chrysler has the new Challenger, which appears to be a pretty cool car. :)

Bob Turkovich
08-15-2010, 1:07 PM

Mitch, No...you just couldn't drive them on cloudy days. Two words....Lucas Electronics.:D

For the record, back in the early seventies I coveted a MGB-GT. One of my good friends had a Triumph Spitfire (same electronics as the MGB.) I spent 10x the amount of time under the hood working on his car as I did on my Satellite Sebring Plus. Kinda soured me on British cars. (I also had to rebuild his tranny but that's another story...).

My son has a 2010 Challenger R/T 6-spd. His cousin (and best friend) has a Mustang Bullitt edition. Lot of smack talking going on there.;) I've spent seat time in both (and had some involvement in the Challenger) and am pleased at the level of refinement in both vehicles while adhering to their brute force roots. My son could have gotten supplier discount on either (or the Camaro) and settled on the Challenger (had to have a Hemi). BTW - my son recently took a vacation trip thru the Smokies - averaged 27 mpg.

Also, BTW - next weekend is the Woodward Dream Cruise. (If you don't know about Woodward Ave., you're probably younger than 55.:rolleyes:) John, your Camaro would look nice there! If you're into muscle cars, you need to make your way to the Cruise at least once in your life.

Shawn Pixley
08-15-2010, 2:13 PM
Mitch, No...you just couldn't drive them on cloudy days. Two words....Lucas Electronics.:D

For the record, back in the early seventies I coveted a MGB-GT. One of my good friends had a Triumph Spitfire (same electronics as the MGB.) I spent 10x the amount of time under the hood working on his car as I did on my Satellite Sebring Plus. Kinda soured me on British cars. (I also had to rebuild his tranny but that's another story...).

My son has a 2010 Challenger R/T 6-spd. His cousin (and best friend) has a Mustang Bullitt edition. Lot of smack talking going on there.;) I've spent seat time in both (and had some involvement in the Challenger) and am pleased at the level of refinement in both vehicles while adhering to their brute force roots. My son could have gotten supplier discount on either (or the Camaro) and settled on the Challenger (had to have a Hemi). BTW - my son recently took a vacation trip thru the Smokies - averaged 27 mpg.

Also, BTW - next weekend is the Woodward Dream Cruise. (If you don't know about Woodward Ave., you're probably younger than 55.:rolleyes:) John, your Camaro would look nice there! If you're into muscle cars, you need to make your way to the Cruise at least once in your life.

I had a 66 Spitfire in the late 70's and what you said is largely true. Who puts a positive ground in anyway? I swapped the generator for a Ford alternator. Reversed the ground and then dependability galore. Blue-printed the engine and it was pretty much untouchable through corners. (muscle cars owned the straights but I owned the curves) The only problem with it was I sheared two rear axles in corners. in the '67 model they replaced the 1-3/8"axle with a 1-3/4" which fixed that problem. Unfortunately my car was killed (hit by a hit and run driver when parked) before I could find one.

Dave Wagner
08-15-2010, 3:41 PM
I see they are rating the current 5.0L Mustang (410hp) at 17/26 MPG, so the BOSS shouldn't be much lower than that, since it only has 30 more HP.

They tested the New V6 Mustang on the track and it actually went over 40+mpg.

Bob Turkovich
08-15-2010, 5:07 PM
I see they are rating the current 5.0L Mustang (410hp) at 17/26 MPG, so the BOSS shouldn't be much lower than that, since it only has 30 more HP.

They tested the New V6 Mustang on the track and it actually went over 40+mpg.

Depends on how they get the extra 30 ponies, change gear ratios, etc....

At the risk of being considered an overly-critical auto engineer, the V6 statement means little or nothing unless it's on the EPA cycle (i.e., apples-to-apples comparison with other vehicles). You can do some pretty interesting things on a test vehicle that doesn't represent production. Now if they can get near 40 on the EPA highway label, kudos to Ford (although I'd like to see what the fallout in the performance numbers are vs. the V-8 versions.)
Do you have a link on this test data? Since I'm not paying much attention anymore to what's going on in the automotive PR world (I am trying to act retired...), does the V6 have direct injection?

Edit: Ok...my curiousity got the best of me. They got 48.5mpg by maintaining 43mph. EPA label will be 19 city/31 hwy. And yes, it has direct injection.

BTW, the Woodward Dream Cruise I referred to earlier does have its woodworking tie-in. The Detroit Rockler store - located on Woodward in the middle of the cruise section - is virtually impossible to get to on the weekend. :D (Crowds in the past were estimated near 1,000,000 for the weekend - although I have no idea how they perform that estimate.)

Dan Mages
08-15-2010, 9:27 PM
Looks tempting! I moved the passanger seat all the way forward and leaned it against the dash to make my daughter's safety seat to fit into the back... so in theory we could have one...

In reality, we recently bought a Ford Edge. This is my first Ford and so far, we are quite pleased with the performace. The new 2011 Edge Sport will have the Mustang's 305hp engine which will be sweet on the way home from dropping kids off at school.

Ford has been on a roll lately. Lots of great vehicles and technologies. I am looking forward to the new Ford Focus C-Max next fall as a smaller family hauler to replace the PT.

Dan

Bryan Morgan
08-16-2010, 2:01 AM

Or &*^&*^*&er Only Runs Downhill

or *&^%*&%ed Over Rebuilt Dodge

Theres a million of them... :) I have an older slightly modified v8 Mustang and I just can't get into this new body style. I could almost tolerate the '05. I suppose its better than the transformer Camaro... what an ugly disaster that turned out to be. :D Looks like someone smashed an old Astrovan or something... blech :p New Charger and Challenger look ok though... rides kind of high for my taste but still has the classic look. I'd never own another Dodge product as long as I live but they look decent.

I'm not brand loyal. If its got a v8, goes fast, and looks tasteful I'm into it.

Bryan Morgan
08-16-2010, 2:03 AM
Looks tempting! I moved the passanger seat all the way forward and leaned it against the dash to make my daughter's safety seat to fit into the back... so in theory we could have one...

You actually use the backseat? I thought they were just there for insurance purposes... my wife is barely 5' and skinny and can't fit in the back seat of my Mustang. :) I just put my jacket or whatever back there...

Jim Koepke
08-16-2010, 3:27 AM
Mitch, No...you just couldn't drive them on cloudy days. Two words....Lucas Electronics.

In many places you couldn't drive them at night either. The headlights had three settings… Off, dim and flicker.

And we all know why the British drink their beer warm… Because the refrigerators are made by Lucas.

Lucas, also known as the Prince of Darkness.

jim

Mitchell Andrus
08-16-2010, 9:04 AM
In many places you couldn't drive them at night either. The headlights had three settings… Off, dim and flicker.

And we all know why the British drink their beer warm… Because the refrigerators are made by Lucas.

Lucas, also known as the Prince of Darkness.

jim

You just have to keep the bonnet's hinge pins well lubricated. I opened and closed it more than the driver's door.

Rob Wachala Jr
08-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Ahh now you made me miss my mustangs. In my early 20's I had a 1969 fastback 302. Had some 1966 289 tight chambers with some .30 bored 302 heads. Also had a 1968 GT 390. Man I miss those cars. I wish I would of kept them because now they would of gone for some serious $$$. YOu can't find any decent old stangs at decent prices anymore.

Bob Turkovich
08-16-2010, 8:28 PM
You just have to keep the bonnet's hinge pins well lubricated. I opened and closed it more than the driver's door.

+1 for remembering to call it a bonnet. Either you're showing your age or you're watching too much BBC on cable.......

Bryan Morgan
08-17-2010, 1:10 AM
+1 for remembering to call it a bonnet. Either you're showing your age or you're watching too much BBC on cable.......

Whenever I hear someone use the word bonnet I always think of that foofoo head piece for infants... hardly something befitting something manly like a muscle car. :D

Dave Wagner
08-17-2010, 7:24 AM
We have been up to Woodward Dream Cruise a couple times, it is crazy.!! We are usually on 9 Mile within Mustang Alley sponsored by Ford (300+ mustangs).

You got that right on prices, any of the 69/70 Mach 1's, BOSS, etc...are going for big bucks ($30-$100K), just look on Ebay.

Regular, restored 1965/66 Mustangs are going for $15-40K!

Mitchell Andrus
08-17-2010, 7:58 AM
Whenever I hear someone use the word bonnet I always think of that foofoo head piece for infants... hardly something befitting something manly like a muscle car. :D

Almost offset by calling the trunk, the 'boot'.

Karl Card
08-17-2010, 9:49 AM
If I only could go back in time. My 2 fav cars that I owned and would still lke to have was the 46 chevy coupe and the 1973 convertible challenger.
I have had a built 396 pushing around 550 hp and a few small block chevys. Back in the day (70's) i wasnt much on ford as a company due to the parts scandal they got caught up in. But I have to say that when I went looking for a new truck, well, chevy looked like a space monster's mouth on the front end, gmc was so high and would not play fairon price, toyota-no way, and never did check out nissan. I got a 2008 ford f150 supercrew and like it alot. But I really am not the kind of person that only buys gm, ford, chrysler etc.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/kwcard/IMG_2402.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/kwcard/IMG_2403.jpg

Rick Markham
08-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Anyone ever notice that every year the (same displacement) engine's horsepower rating goes up, and it's fuel economy?:rolleyes:

I don't care what the sticker said on my 2003 GT, it never has gotten anywhere close to what the MPG rating was... of course I might be kinda lead footed :D

I too favor the later model's body style more, I did like the 2005 GT body but now everyone's mamma is driving one around... Of course "Mustangs are like _______, everyone's got one"

The new challenger is cool, Its about time they made a cool car again. Never thought the Charger was all that fantastic looking. I just never did get the newer Dodges, everyone I have sat in (granted none in the last couple years) the interiors and dashes just looked cheap. Ford has never skimped on the Pony Car.

Mine doesn't just run like the wind... she purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs! :cool:

Bryan Morgan
08-17-2010, 3:19 PM
Anyone ever notice that every year the (same displacement) engine's horsepower rating goes up, and it's fuel economy?:rolleyes:

Yeah...kinda sucks. I used to get ~24 mpg in my GT but then had to replace the fuel pump and now I only get ~18 mpg. The new v6 has as much power as my old v8 in stock form... not nearly as much torque but still...:cool:

Bryan Morgan
08-17-2010, 3:23 PM
I just never did get the newer Dodges, everyone I have sat in (granted none in the last couple years) the interiors and dashes just looked cheap. Ford has never skimped on the Pony Car.

When I bought my Mustang I originally wanted a Camaro (older body style). It was so cheap and flimsy inside compared to the Mustang I just couldn't do it. The Mustang has every bit as much cheapo plastic in it but the fit and finish seemed way better than the Camaro. I REALLY wanted the Ram Air Firebird but they were hard to find at the time and the dealers wouldn't haggle with them... One of my friends paid close to $40k for hers...:eek:

Bob Turkovich
08-17-2010, 3:44 PM

I don't care what the sticker said on my 2003 GT, it never has gotten anywhere close to what the MPG rating was... of course I might be kinda lead footed :D

I too favor the later model's body style more, I did like the 2005 GT body but now everyone's mamma is driving one around... Of course "Mustangs are like _______, everyone's got one"

The new challenger is cool, Its about time they made a cool car again. Never thought the Charger was all that fantastic looking. I just never did get the newer Dodges, everyone I have sat in (granted none in the last couple years) the interiors and dashes just looked cheap. Ford has never skimped on the Pony Car.

Mine doesn't just run like the wind... she purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs! :cool:

You can do a lot to change power and FE numbers by changing intake and exhaust manifold and air induction designs without changing the base engine. Not sure if that's what Ford did.........

The problem with the EPA label test procedure is that it does not differentiate between the driving habits of an econobox vs. a performance vehicle owner so I would guess your foot size & "weight" has something to do with it.:p

When Cerberus took over Chrysler, they looked at cheapening the interiors as the best way to save money - really misread the market with that one. Almost all of the models will have upgraded interiors in the next 18 months, starting with the Grand Cherokee and 300/Charger/Challenger line-ups this year.