PDA

View Full Version : My favorite Burl Tree

Jerry Marcantel
08-14-2010, 5:53 PM
Yesterday I did a little road trip to a canyon in the Whetstone Mountains near Benson, Arizona where this winter I discovered this tree that had about 40 burls on it. Maybe they aren't really burls, because they are growths on the limbs. Most were about 6" diameter, and 4" to 12" long, with pits all over the outside. Needless to say, I collected all that I could reach. Since it was winter, and there was no evidence if what the tree species is, I decided to drive out yesterday to check out the leaves..
It turns out the tree is a variation of walnut.... Real small nuts, and small leaves as apposed to the leaves of walnut trees in Missouri.
I investigated this canyon a little further and discovered a dead walnut tree and had floated down the wash from somewhere years ago. It had a bunch of burls (6)on it that I could see, and after clearing all the debris from around it, I proceeded to remove them. The largest is about a foot in diameter and 18" long.... It also has all those pits, and is almost solid..The rest of the burls are about 7" diameter up to 18" long... Here are some pictures of the burls, (gloat). 158326158327

After that, we decided to do a scenic drive up and over the Santa Rita Mountains, and along the way, we had equestrians on the road, plus a donkey or 2.158338158339 and of course the expected dead snake in the summer months.158343
We drove up to the divide of the mountain, and there's this canyon that has a lot of oak trees in it. There are burls on at least every 3rd tree.... Here is a pic of a dead tree that a limb broke just as took the picture. She said she thought the camera was noisy, not knowing the limb had broken158345 Actually, the broken limb wasn't photographed. It's out of view here.
Anyway, I did a few things the other day. The HF at the upper left is Mesquite, probably not the Velvet that is native to here. The grain is just tooo pronounced to be the local natural stuff. I'll get a couple more pictures of the bottom, other side view and a profile.
The lidded box at the bottom is Black Walnut from Missouri. Just after sanding this box yesterday, thinking it was done perfectly, someone started a thread about BW and scratches.. As you can see, they are still there, and I thought I was done...
I was saying that the mesquite is probably not native is looking at the rings, it looks like the tree when it was alive got plenty of water... After a storm here, you can see a few mesquite trees, and other tupes blown over in peoples yards, but as many miles as I've covered in the natural desert, I have never seen a naturally uprooted Mesquite, Catclaw, or Palo Verde tree. It just doesn't happen in the wild. Only those that have been transplanted blow over, even if they've been in the yards 30-40+years........

John Keeton
08-14-2010, 7:05 PM
Jerry, no telling what is in those hunks of wood!! Pretty neat trip and an interesting post. Thanks!!

Look forward to you opening those things up and seeing what is inside.

Some nice turnings, as well. I like the little mesquite form!

Dennis Ford
08-14-2010, 7:22 PM
Years ago my grandparents had a couple of walnut trees in the yard (West Texas). They made very small (and very hard) nuts also. The wood looked just Black Walnut inside, I think there will be some very pretty wood in those pieces. Wood just doesn't get any better than figured walnut.

charlie knighton
08-14-2010, 8:35 PM
Jerry,

what do ya call your discovery trips??? walkabout or driveabout

nice burls, nice mesquite and walnut, oak

how is your back doing????

David E Keller
08-14-2010, 9:02 PM
I want to go wood scrounging with Jerry! That's some gnarly but fun looking stuff you brought home with you. I'm excited to see what you get from them.

Nice work on the turnings.

Jerry Marcantel
08-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the kind words, guys....

[QUOTE=charlie knighton;1490489]Jerry,

what do ya call your discovery trips??? walkabout or driveabout

nice burls, nice mesquite and walnut, oak]

Charlie, it depends on what I'm going after. The same area of the burl tree has rock that is knappable, so, if I'm chasing after rock, it's called a rock run, and now that I'm chasing after wood, I'm gonna call it a wood run......

[how is your back doing????]

It's my neck that I broke, Charlie, not my back. lol

[Dave Keller says;
I want to go wood scrounging with Jerry!]

Jerry says, cmon down, David. Bring your trustiest weapon, cuz the areas around Tucson have a lot of illegal activity in it. Seriously, if you happen to be out this way, give me a call. All my wood runs are rewarding in the fact you get to keep all the wood you collect...... I have access to a 110 year old ranch for mesquite..... And, I'm starting to get to know some tree trimmers, building contractors and others involved in land clearing...... Wood is easier to get now than it was 8 months ago.......
A couple more pictures. Both are of a piece from one of the walnut burls I got yesterday. Actually, it's part of the branch just before the burl. It's still in the work stage. The first picture shows the best side, and the second picture shows the inside. It was so eaten out by bugs that I needed to plug the center for a bottom. I drilled a 1 7/8 hole, made a plug from a smaller piece if this wood, turned a piece of maple for my faceplate with a 4" socket to fit the bottom of the rough. I then mixed up some fiberglass resin, and then took it to my vaccum casting table. I poured the resin in the socket, inserted the log in the socket, and vac'd out the air. After about a 2 minute vac, I turned it off, removed the socket and rough as one piece. I let it set for an hour, and then attached it to my faceplate, and then turned it..It's 4" OD, 5" tall, and just a little over 3/8" thick with 120 sand and 2 coats of sanding sealer to give it color. I think it worked....
You can see the few holes it has, plus the cracks. I don't have a problem, but the cracks bother me, so tomorrow I'm going to get some colorant for the resin, and seal the cracks and holes before I finish this piece.
In the original set of pictures, the walnut I used was from Missouri. I got it last year with the intent of turning it. Not knowing how to preserve wood, I just coated the ends with parrafin wax, and kept it in the shade under my patio/workshop roof.... When I first started to turn it was just before I broke my neck in May, but when turning it I noticed a lot of cracks radiating into the wood. See pic 1 There were no cracks from the pith...... If you look close at the bottom part of the box, you'll see several cracks. Those were filled with the resin I have, and then vac'd. It did a pretty good job of sucking up into all the cracks and removing all but one bubble.
That little mesquite hollow form is 2 1/4" tall and 5 3/4" od...... I think it's my best effort so far, considering I don't have any real tools yet...... I've got wood, got the drive to do good, a good homemade machine (ok, almost homemade)but no good tools yet. That's going to change soon, I hope.
Here....... Jerry (in Tucson)

charlie knighton
08-15-2010, 12:39 PM
It's my neck that I broke,

how is your neck doing, i am interested in knowing when will you get to full strenght, you seem to accomplish a lot while not quite at full strenght, i wish you well :)

Jerry Marcantel
08-15-2010, 2:05 PM
how is your neck doing, i am interested in knowing when will you get to full strenght, you seem to accomplish a lot while not quite at full strenght, i wish you well :)

This broken neck thing never really did anything but hurt some and inconvienced me with having to wear a neck brace for 8 weeks..... . Even at the hospital, after the doc saw the xray, he couldn't believe I had full mobility.. It's almost totally healed, but last weekend I demo'd a kitchen, broke up the cabinets, and took the pieces to the dump. I twisted my body throwing the peices out of my truck, and Sunday, I hurt pretty bad for a few days... Still doesn't bother me very much.... A hobby can't be held up with something as important as a broken neck, can it?
While at the dump, I got a bunch of fresh cut Palo Verde logs, about 12-14" diameter. This keeps this reply turning related..
The first half of September I'm going on a rock run, all over Oregon, Nevada, and possibly one of the Dakotas.. The guy I'm traveling with is not a wood person, but likes burl wood... So, I'll be watching out for wood too..... A rock/wood run...... Jerry (in Tucson) Send me your address again, Charlie....