PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector replacement filter bags?

Tony Shea
08-14-2010, 5:46 PM
I have recently acquired a Reliant Model 720 1hp single stage dust collector. I had it given to me by a friend who no longer used it and have been very happy with it so far. It's easy to move around from machine to machine. My problem with it is the top filter bag. The bag really doesn't seem large enough, it expands out to be very tight. I've tried cleaning the inside to remove any fine dust that may have been clogging it up. Finally today there was too much pressure on it and it came free while running, what a mess in the air. But when this happened it really started sucking out the dust in the table saw like I've never seen which tells me I'm losing a lot of my suction capabilities due to this bag size/quality.

What is a good option for replacing this bag? I really was just looking for a larger filter bag that could be made to fit the machine with a decent dust filtration rating. But while searching I also noticed some filter cans that might be able to be made to fit and create a very fine filtration. Any opinions on some of my options would be greatly appreciated.

Carpenter Mark
08-14-2010, 7:21 PM
Go to Wynn Enviromental-http://www.wynnenv.com/index.htm- and get one their pleated filters. They cost quite a bit more than the bag filters but they have the benefit of-
- you only buy them once
- they have more than twice the surface area so your collector will have greatly increased airflow
- they filter much finer particles than the bags
- they're pretty easy to clean with a brush and an airhose
Then go over to Phil Thiens site and build one of his separators, which he has so graciously shared with the world.

These simple upgrades will amaze you with how well they work. You won't be disapointed

Pat O'malley
08-14-2010, 8:52 PM
I bought a Big Horn 1 micron bag from Amazon currently $33 ships for free, and have been happy with it. I plan to eventually go with a Wynn filter for reasons stated by C Mark, but for now I am budgeting for other shop needs. Take care Pat...

Bruce Wrenn
08-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Rockler sells a replacement bag for Jet dust collectors. It fits most units that take a 14" dia bag. I bought one for my Delta AP-400. With it, I replaced the lower cloth bag with a plastic bag. Cost less than $30. You will need to go online to find it, as it's not in the catalog.

Dan Karachio
08-15-2010, 5:02 AM
I think Mark is on to something. I have a JDS 1.5 hp DC with a 1 micron bag and it never seems to have the draw I am expecting. When I whack that bag, wow, a lot of dust comes falling down. So, I'm thinking about that canister too! As for the cyclone, if you don't mind changing bags (I don't) is it really worth the trouble?

glenn bradley
08-15-2010, 8:02 AM
I added an American Fabric Filter (http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/) to my 1HP Delta to squeeze some more life out of it till I got the cyclone in. It worked so much better that I use it in addition to the cyclone. Filters will give you more area in less space so if you roll it around, I would go with filters. A good bag needs to be pretty big to filter fine enough an pass enough air. The switch to a larger upper bag did allow me to go to a solid lower bag and clean up is now a breeze.

Kevin Gregoire
08-15-2010, 12:46 PM
+1 Wynn Environmental
http://www.wynnenv.com/index.htm

Tony Shea
08-15-2010, 1:14 PM
I would be more than willing to get one of those can filters/pleated filter from Wynn Enviromental but just am sorta confused with their website. Also am not seeing anything there that is designed for a 14" opening. It could be that the can itself is 17" and the opening is only 14". It would seem that most of these size DC's are only 14" but I am not sure about that. This is very new to me but just need to come up with a better solution than what I have now. Anyone have any experience with the Wynn pleated filter can? It sounds great as far as my air quality is concerned.

Alan Schwabacher
08-15-2010, 3:09 PM
A cannister filter works very well, but is more of a pain to clean than a bag. A good cyclone will keep all but the smallest dust out of the filter, so it won't need to be cleaned for a long time. At least a poor cyclone or a good chip collector (which means with a Thien baffle) is really needed to make a cartridge filter worthwhile. That is my take, having used a cartridge DC without and with a Thien baffle, and now a Pentz design cyclone.

Felt bags apparently vary in quality considerably. While I've not dealt with them, American Fabric and Filter is said to be an excellent source of bags. If you contact them, they will help you decide what size you need for your DC and make it for you.