PDA

View Full Version : Walnut crotch HF

David E Keller
08-14-2010, 5:12 PM
Here's a piece I roughed out a while back, but I was waiting for my hollowing system to arrive before I finished it. It's about 9" tall with finial and somewhere around 5" across. The collar and finial are made from bradford pear that has been brushed with india ink. I'm not crazy about the main form or lid shape, but I think it's the best finial I've done so far.

Questions, comments, and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Curt Fuller
08-14-2010, 5:16 PM
I'll go along with you're opinion of the form and the finial. But even though I don't love that shape, you've done a nice job with it. And the finial is excellent. That's a beautiful piece of wood too.

Steve Schlumpf
08-14-2010, 5:18 PM
Dude - I am impressed! Beautiful piece! I really like the contemporary form and the wood is beautiful! Very impressed with your finial! Great proportions, excellent details and wonderful curves. Very delicate and one of the best finials I've seen - ever!

Very nice work! Beginning to think you been holding out on us!

Pete Jordan
08-14-2010, 5:18 PM
David,

I hate to disagree but I really like the shape of this form.
Excellent form.

Dennis Ford
08-14-2010, 5:33 PM
The shape is different but it only took a few seconds to grow on me. The form and finial come together to create a wonderful piece.

Tom Sherman
08-14-2010, 6:03 PM
Holy cow, that is a great piece. Love the walnut and the finial is top shelf.
Can't say as much for the new doo:)

Bernie Weishapl
08-14-2010, 6:03 PM
David I really like the form and finial. Well done.

David DeCristoforo
08-14-2010, 6:48 PM
The form is bodacious, brotha! The finial is slammin' too. Yo be bangin' now my bro! The whole thing is chill, my man...

Mark Hubl
08-14-2010, 6:52 PM
Sweet! The form grew on me quickly. Sure the curve is a tad severe, but it works. I think the base/lid works really well and mimics the curve. Nuff said about the finial, it's aces in my book. Very nice.

John Keeton
08-14-2010, 7:14 PM
David, I honestly think this is your best piece, all around - period!!! I like the form - a lot, and the lid and finial are fantastic - just perfect! That walnut is beautiful, and the black goes very well with it.

The collar looks like it has finish on it, but the lid/finial do not. I think on this piece, at least the lid needs to match the collar in finish, and it may, but the pic doesn't look like it.

You did extremely well with this one! You are really putting together some very nice pieces!

David E Keller
08-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks to all for the comments.

JK, you're right about the difference in the finish. I spent a little time last night resanding and buffing the finial/lid. The difference was not as stark in person, but it was still noticeable.

David Woodruff
08-15-2010, 11:27 AM
David< very nice work, I love the form particularly the narrowing to a small foot. Proportions are excellent. The finial is just awesome. Great choice of woods/colors. Keep going

Harvey Ghesser
08-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Love the finial! The wood is beautiful and the shape, though a bit extreme, is lovely!

Paul Douglass
08-15-2010, 12:11 PM
I say it is beautiful. I can't comment on shapes and forum because I am no good at it. Best I can do is come here and try to copy!

Matt Ranum
08-15-2010, 2:27 PM
The form is bodacious, brotha! The finial is slammin' too. Yo be bangin' now my bro! The whole thing is chill, my man...

You just kill me with some of your posts! :D:p:D:p

Leo Van Der Loo
08-15-2010, 2:28 PM
Nice piece of wood, I find the bottom half a little too straight to my liking and the difference in the finial/collar as John mentioned disrupt the flow there, they are just small things and the overall look is quite nice otherwise, well done ;-))

Richard Madden
08-15-2010, 6:01 PM
Well done. Beautiful piece of wood and I like the finial. Never tried BP for finials.

Roland Martin
08-15-2010, 9:38 PM
Very nice piece David:eek::) I love that walnut and the finial is "excellent":)

Michelle Rich
08-16-2010, 8:00 AM
David: isn't it funny how we view our own art? This is different..it's striking & the finial is to die for..a lot of turning is experimenting..shape/color/details...we need more experimenting !!

Josh Bowman
08-16-2010, 9:48 AM
Beautiful grain and shape.