PDA

View Full Version : Want to built a file drawer

Galen Nagen
08-14-2010, 3:43 PM
I want to build a bank of drawers, one being a file drawer. A cabinet maker said I need 150 lb. drawer slides.

I would like to try the blum motion slides. Would they be up to the task? The cabinet maker has built a lot of desks and file drawers and told me paper is very heavy and hence the 150 lb rating. He didn't seem to think much of the blum motion slides. I forgot to ask him why.

Any tips on installing the Blum slides. I downloaded what Blum has but perhaps there are other/better instructions.

Thanks.

GN

Steve Jenkins
08-14-2010, 5:33 PM
I don't htink you would have any problem with them. I used them in my kitchen and have some pretty big and loaded drawers and they work fine. the width of the drawer box is pretty critical and you need to check on the lengths that you need as they are somewhat limited in sizes.Unlike side mount slides the length of the mechanism is about 1/4" longer than the stated size. an 18" slide is actually about 18-1/4 long. that can make a difference if you are trying to max out your drawer size.

Bill Houghton
08-14-2010, 8:06 PM
150 lb slides? You must have an awful lot of files to store. I would think a lighter slide, 75 or 100 pounds, would be enough.

That said, full extension slides are a right good idea, and it's hard to find those in less than 100 lb ratings.

You're probably already planning this, but: put in some kind of storage to keep the files from hitting each other.

Mike Heidrick
08-14-2010, 9:02 PM
I built a 2 drawer legal sized lateral file last last year. I used rockler over extension slides, $22.99 Centerline Seriesl CL-755 150lb Over Travle Drawer Slides with lift off feature so the customer could remove the drawer easily to take the files to the desk when needed. I also used a rack system for the lateral files from Office Max that could be removed so that they could use both legal and letter sized files and when the files get tossed latter in life the cabinet could be used like a nice chest of drawers. I made the carcase from Menards Oak plywood and wrapped it in raised panel walnut sides, walnut face frame (flush with oak ply inside openings) and baltic birch drawer boxes and walnut fronts. Finish was pre cat lacquer. Weighs a ton and no tipping even full but We did attach to the wall just in case.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/c5-1.jpg

Galen Nagen
08-14-2010, 9:30 PM
Those are very nice drawers.

GN