PDA

View Full Version : Scratch (or crack?) on laser tube

Linda Smith Alabama
08-14-2010, 3:08 PM
We ordered a new 60w laser tube from China; got it last week and noticed right away a small line (scratch or crack) in the outside glass, halfway under one of the stickers. I emailed the seller, sent them some pics, and their engineer asked us to install the tube and see what it does. So we got it installed, and it is firing, but we don't have the equipment to test output. I'm posting some pics that I sent the seller. Just wanted to get your opinions on it, and would this cause problems later on or shorten the life of the tube?

Doug Griffith
08-14-2010, 3:17 PM
Shot 4 looks like a defect in the glass. Can you feel it with your fingernail?

Linda Smith Alabama
08-14-2010, 3:22 PM
Yes you can feel it. It's either a scratch or the tube has cracked. If it is a crack would the tube still work?

Dan Hintz
08-14-2010, 4:28 PM
If it is a crack would the tube still work?
Possibly, and if it does, you can never know for how long...

Rodne Gold
08-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Look at it under high magnification - if you have a Camera with a removeable lens , then remove and reverse the lens and look thru the front if you want magnification.
I would be concerned either way , crack or score as both are potential failure points.

Frank Corker
08-15-2010, 5:13 AM
Looks like a defect in the glass for me too, however I would still be concerned that the area is a weakness.

Linda Smith Alabama
08-15-2010, 1:47 PM
Thanks for the advice. The seller guaranteed it to arrive unbroken, so I'm hoping they will replace it.

Linda Smith Alabama
08-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Well, they will replace it... for $200. Not sure what to do. They claim that if it was a crack the tube wouldn't fire at all. :confused:

Dan Hintz
08-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Well, they will replace it... for $200.
Welcome to the world of Chinese lasers... why buy one when you can have two for twice the price? Making you pay for a replacement, even if their fault, is par for the course when it comes to Chinese manufacturers. I fought it tooth and nail when it came time to manufacture some of my PCBs, but in the end if you want it done again you pay again.

I'll also add, that's essentially the price you can get the tubes for on eBay...

paul mott
08-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Well, they will replace it... for $200. Not sure what to do. They claim that if it was a crack the tube wouldn't fire at all. :confused:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1492221)

I know it's your money we are talking about here but I think they are right. If it was a crack the gas would have been contaminated by now.

Paul.

Linda Smith Alabama
08-17-2010, 12:57 PM
With shipping the tube is around $400 on ebay, so that's half price. I am concerned this tube won't last... is this anything we can cover or coat that area with to strengthen or seal it?

Viktor Voroncov
08-17-2010, 2:45 PM
Linda, I cancel my business with China when I spend $800 for three shipments of replacement tubes and still do not have working tube :(

But I wish you win in this lottery as your work on granite in another thread is really impressive !

Richard Coers
08-17-2010, 3:32 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they hand blow the tubes. It just looks like a mark in the glass. I bet it lasts just as long as a perfect tube. (If there is such a thing?)

Joe De Medeiros
08-17-2010, 3:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they hand blow the tubes. It just looks like a mark in the glass. I bet it lasts just as long as a perfect tube. (If there is such a thing?)

I agree it looks like a flow line, if you are worried I would take his offer on the $200 tube, and keep using the defective one until it fails.