PDA

View Full Version : Lasagne tragedy

Rick Potter
08-13-2010, 9:05 PM
All the families in our family did a lot of moving around in the last few years. Last night, my adult daughter discovered she lost her copy of great grandma's lasagne recipe. No problem, my wife looked for hers to copy, but it is missing too. Called the other adult daughter, and she realized her copy is also missing (cue Twilight Zone music here).

Having Costco lasagne tonight.

Anybody got a good old family recipe they want to share?

Rick Potter

PS: I think those PETA folks are skulking around swiping recipes.

David G Baker
08-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Check out the Better Homes and Gardens cook book.

John Mark Lane
08-13-2010, 11:03 PM
As the husband of a woman stricken with cancer, living in a wonderful, supportive community, I have been the beneficiary of an almost constant flow of food from caring friends and neighbors.

I will offer a small bit of wisdom for all of you -- off point though it may be. If someone you know gets sick, and you decide to take them a meal...take them anything but lasagna! I love lasagna, but I think I'll die if I see another tray of it....

M
:eek:

Chris Kennedy
08-14-2010, 10:40 AM
As the husband of a woman stricken with cancer, living in a wonderful, supportive community, I have been the beneficiary of an almost constant flow of food from caring friends and neighbors.

I will offer a small bit of wisdom for all of you -- off point though it may be. If someone you know gets sick, and you decide to take them a meal...take them anything but lasagna! I love lasagna, but I think I'll die if I see another tray of it....

M

This is my wife's go to dish in these types of situations. I guess a lot of people think the same.

As for a recipe, try Marcella Hazan's Italian cookbooks (exact title is escaping me at the moment.)

Chris

Mike Henderson
08-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Here's two I like.

First one (http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/worlds-best-lasagna/Detail.aspx).

Second one (http://mylasagnarecipe.com/).

Between the two, I prefer the second.

Mike

Wayne Hendrix
08-14-2010, 9:40 PM

M

That's really funny, a couple months ago I took lasagna to a family down the street who had been receiving dinners every evening from church members owing to the wife being pregnant and on bedrest and they said how happy they were to get lasagna because everyone had been bringing casseroles.

Stephen Tashiro
08-14-2010, 10:59 PM
"Lasagne tragedy" reminds me of a story. This was actually a Lasagna Comedy.

I used to teach at a private high school that was in a huge former colonial era farmhouse in the hills of Virginia. The assistant headmaster, I'll call him Mr. Albert, was an outgoing, rational, Yale educated fellow with an optimistic and positive personality. I tend to be realistic (most call it being pessimistic). But no matter what problem I or anyone else had, Mr. Albert felt that there was some reasonable way to find a solution.

There was a student, whom I knew well. Let's call him Jan Vanderschmit. Jan was rather reserved. I got along well with him and Jan got along well with his peers. However, Mr. Albert seemed to thing Jan needed to be more social and worried that he was maladjusted.

There was a Christmas party one evening at the school. I was sitting in the kitchen talking to Jan. Kids were running around everywhere having a good time before the party officially started. Dogs were barking because a pack of about 3 stray dogs had showed up. (This was common in the Virginia countryside. It usually took a few days for the dog catcher to show up.)

Mr. Albert had cooked the main dish for the party at his house. I saw him back his station wagon up to the outside door of the kitchen. There were pans laid out on the bed of the station wagon. He had already announced the menu, it was lasagna.

Mr Albert came into the kitchen and said "Jan, why don't get some other people and go out to my wagon and bring in the lasagna.". I knew he was trying to put Jan in a position of momentary leadership, improve his social skills etc. Jan said "Yes, Mr. Albert" and walked out the door, in his usual posture, with his hands in his pockets.

I stayed in the kitchen. I forget how I occupied myself. Soon I heard a loud crescendo of yelling and barking - louder than normal, so it was pretty loud. Then Jan came running into the kitchen. He looked very distraught. He said "Mr. Tashiro! Mr. Tashiro! When we opened the door to the station wagon, those dogs jumped in and they started licking the lasagna."

Being a pessimist, I didn't know what to say. But just then Mr. Albert came into the kitchen. He said "What's wrong Jan?". Jan repeated the explanation.

"Well, just put the plates that they licked to one side and bring the rest in", said Mr. Albert.

"But Mr. Albert!", said Jan, "It's lasagna! How can we tell?".

Mr. Albert didn't say anything. He had a determined look on his face and he went out the door to handle the situation. Jan followed him. I stayed in the kitchen.

That night, lasagna was served and I ate a full serving - for I had attained the power of positive thinking.

Anthony Scira
08-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Tyler Florence had one that I use on a regular basis. Its really the best out there. Especially if you take the time and make your own pasta.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-lasagna-recipe/index.html