PDA

View Full Version : I think this guy has had enough of craigslist....wood rant

Jeff Mohr
08-13-2010, 7:57 PM
Found this little rant on craigslist and found it amusing...

greenville.craigslist.org

just my observation of c/l posting of items for sale, do people really believe that pine wood is REAL CHERRY WOOD just because its stained red? or did the slick salesman just whisper that in your wifes ear, or that pressboard w/a 3/32" sheet of oak veinner is solid oak table, have you ever turned it upside down and looked! and why would anyone pay 1000s of dollars for a rug, and expect some to pay you 900 for it, just a little stain here and there, and its really never been used (buts its 30 years old). asia is now pushing a wood called fruit wood,actually flooding the market with it because its very cheap, that is stained cherry stain, walnut stain etc, ( its actually a BEAUTIFUL grained very soft wood and very easy to work, its natural color is blond, but its being sold as oak, cherry, maple etc, and people actually believe it is solid cherry wood etc, next time your at a lumber yard ask the salsman how much is walnut a board foot? if he even has it you couldnt afford it, around 35 a board foot, and last but not least, "it was bought at pier one" for such and such, it came from etc, etc, like that makes it better, folks pressboard is pressboard. do they not teach shop in school any more?

John Mark Lane
08-13-2010, 9:10 PM
No, they do not teach shop in school any more. Damn shame, too. The ratio of morons to intelligent people is increasing daily.

glenn bradley
08-13-2010, 9:10 PM
$35/bf for walnut? Where does this poor guy live? I just paid $6.80/bf and it was higher than last month. CL and Ebay are amusing sometimes though.

Dave Lehnert
08-13-2010, 11:02 PM
When dealing with customers you can tell them it is a hardwood stained Cherry. All they hear is Cherry. Friend ask "What kind of wood is it" They say "Cherry"
You have this problem in any industry. I use to run a retail Garden Center.
If it was dirt they called it "Top Soil" Walk in and say "ring me up for a bag of Top Soil". Ring them up, go to load it. "Hey I don't want that, I want this" You mean the bag of Potting Soil, Humus, Peat, Cow Manure etc.....

Neal Clayton
08-14-2010, 1:07 AM
$35/bf for walnut? Where does this poor guy live? I just paid $6.80/bf and it was higher than last month. CL and Ebay are amusing sometimes though.

it's good to live in arkansas every now and then, i pay 3.00 a foot even ;).

now about that old growth redwood...

Chris Padilla
08-14-2010, 2:16 AM
it's good to live in arkansas every now and then, i pay 3.00 a foot even ;).

now about that old growth redwood...

i pay 3.00 a foot even out here.... :)

Michael Weber
08-14-2010, 11:34 AM
it's good to live in arkansas every now and then, .
Not this summer...:mad::(

Dan Hintz
08-14-2010, 12:32 PM
To be fair, I wouldn't know the difference between most of the different woods. Am I a moron? Certainly not... I'm just ignorant. I have not spent any appreciable amount of time looking at the different woods available, so I could not make an informed decision just by looking at it. Sure, I know pressboard, OSB, etc. on sight, but I couldn't tell the difference between white oak and white pine at this very moment in time. They most likely look different, but I would guess and have a 50/50 shot of getting it correct.

Dennis Peacock
08-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Not this summer...:mad::(

True....I wouldn't mind being somewhere where it's cooler for this summer.!!